Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am doing my first coursework for my masters and my teacher said that my coursework had all the knowledge. However, I have taken a textbook approach to the structure. I admit I have but that is the only way I could answer it as that was the way I interpreted the question. The question was in relevance to municipal law and international law and the issues that have been arisen in theory and practice. I structured it like this; introduction, theories, issues, in practice, conclusion.

I can see it is very textbook approach. However, I do not know how to approach it in another way.

Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    The problem with taking a heavily structured approach is that it can be slightly artificial and you run the risk of spending a lot of time talking about stuff that isn't really relevant. Your job isn't to simply summarise what the various theories are, you have to apply these to the question and whilst you have done this it is perhaps not the most efficient way.

Your approach basically works but it is more an undergraduate/beginner approach, at Masters level I think you have to write a bit more like academics do. The best way to learn to write is to read, have a read of a few academic journals and see how the authors have structured their articles.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.