Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, I'm studying 3 Sciences at Alevel but not maths and I am predicted AAA for A2.

I was wondering if I would be able to apply for the Chemical Engineering foundation course at Newcastle even though I am predicted AAA at A2.

I would also consider the foundation courses for Chemical engineering at Manchester or Nottingham as well. Has anyone done this before? If it means anything, I have 1 weeks of work experience at the Chemistry and Chemical engineering department of Queens university Belfast.

I could not take maths at alevel as I didn't do Additional maths. However, I love physics and chemistry and I would love to study chemical engineering!

ReputationRep:
    You HAVE to do additional maths to do A-level at your schools? That's terrible.

Email those departments and ask.
    It would probably be much cheaper just to take a year out and self teach yourself A level maths and then apply next year for a ChemEng course. Maybe a year in industry and do the maths A-level at the same time? The foundation year is meant for those who did humanity so will also include all the physics and chemistry you've already done and the fees aren't cheap.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar boat. However I'm only doing chemistry, no maths or physics!
    I didn't think fees would be an issue as the foundation year (year 0) is integrated?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    yea it is an integrated foundation year which means the course is either 4 years or 5 years depending on whether you do MEng of BEng. Money would not really be an issue(not boasting) yes it's expensive and I'll be in debt but it would be worthwhile more so that doing a plain chemistry degree (what I was going to do instead). I think the foundation year would allow me to see what uni life etc is like as well as preparing me for the degree the year after! Is there any limit as to who they can take? Would they not take me as I am predicted high grades in Chemistry and Physics and have relatively good GCSEs (A*A*A*A*AAABBB)? And yea, add maths is essential

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrMikeEsq)
    I'm in a similar boat. However I'm only doing chemistry, no maths or physics!
    I didn't think fees would be an issue as the foundation year (year 0) is integrated?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are you thinking of the foundation year route as well?

ReputationRep:
    Yep, have to due to lack of maths!
    You'll be one of the most qualified people applying for the foundation year. After all, it's open to people who don't even have chemistry or physics, so imagine how much you'll already know that others will be learning from scratch!
    Right now I'm doing biol, chem, english and geog AS. For A2 I intend on doing biol, chem, either english or geog as my third, but also taking on AS maths in order to prepare further for the foundation

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrMikeEsq)
    Yep, have to due to lack of maths!
    You'll be one of the most qualified people applying for the foundation year. After all, it's open to people who don't even have chemistry or physics, so imagine how much you'll already know that others will be learning from scratch!
    Right now I'm doing biol, chem, english and geog AS. For A2 I intend on doing biol, chem, either english or geog as my third, but also taking on AS maths in order to prepare further for the foundation

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yea, I am taking AS Maths too! I wonder what the competition is like? I dropped my 4th AS because it was **** (business studies), hope it doesn't hold me back. The competition would probably quite big to get in :/ what Unis are you considering? Are you applying for 2014 entry?

ReputationRep:
    Yep 2014 for me. Well due to some personal circumstances, Swansea uni would be the very best choice for me. Although it's not ranked as highly as many unis for chemeng, it seems to be the only uni in Wales that offers it as an undgrad course! So therefore they'll still have a ton of applicants.

Financially I really need to stay in my current area so Swansea is my only feasible option :/
    If I don't get in I may go back to college and do A2 maths allowing me to then re apply for year 1 entry, so I wouldn't have lost any more time than if I did the foundation, if that makes sense to you? :P

Do you intend on getting any work exp/shadowing ready for your application?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh I just re read your first post, forget I asked that

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just a suggestion, you could apply to leeds for chem eng, i believe you only need 2 of biology chemistry, physics and maths because they get you to the required level of maths physics and chemistry in first semester if you're missing any.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamnotarobot1993)
    Just a suggestion, you could apply to leeds for chem eng, i believe you only need 2 of biology chemistry, physics and maths because they get you to the required level of maths physics and chemistry in first semester if you're missing any.
    I will have Biology chemistry physics but not maths, I would like to consider newcastle

ReputationRep:
    It's just that I only had AS level maths aswell as bio chem physics a level and I'm currently a second year and I seem to be doing quite well with the maths in the course.

Ok, Newcastle like many universities strictly you will have to do the foundation year. I would reccomend personally the foundation year over basically maths a level in a year if you can, it simple will give you a huge advantage at beginning the course. You have to balance it with the fact that its another £9k though.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting about Leeds. I think I'll be stuck round here though unfortunately. Then again as you said, the foundation year could be overall more advantageous

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just had a look, you seem to be wrong about leeds

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Im sorry iv just checked this... Its changed after many years. Again i apologise. But about foundation year i honestly believe thos with a foundation year had a huge advantage. If you have any other chemical eng questions just ask

ReputationRep:
    Im sorry iv just checked this... Its changed after many years. Again i apologise. But about foundation year i honestly believe thos with a foundation year had a huge advantage. If you have any other chemical eng questions just ask
    Hi I am a year 13 student who has received four rejections from medicine. My grades are AAA biol Chem geog at AS and predicted AAA* at A2 . I took maths at AS level then dropped it because of the way mechanics was taught ( I was fine with Core 1 and 2). I am really interested in applying for a foundation year in chem eng at Newcastle as I enjoy chemistry but don't want to take it as a single subject. But I'm just wondering whether my poor grade in maths at AS (D) will scupper my chances? I got an A* in it at GCSE. Have you any idea of the fierceness of competition for this course ie will it be possible for me to apply through ucas extra or clearing? And any reccomebdations or advice pleaseeee?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam1357)
    Hi I am a year 13 student who has received four rejections from medicine. My grades are AAA biol Chem geog at AS and predicted AAA* at A2 . I took maths at AS level then dropped it because of the way mechanics was taught ( I was fine with Core 1 and 2). I am really interested in applying for a foundation year in chem eng at Newcastle as I enjoy chemistry but don't want to take it as a single subject. But I'm just wondering whether my poor grade in maths at AS (D) will scupper my chances? I got an A* in it at GCSE. Have you any idea of the fierceness of competition for this course ie will it be possible for me to apply through ucas extra or clearing? And any reccomebdations or advice pleaseeee?
    But maths is very important for chem eng particularly mechanics. I dont believe, tbh the course is that competitive, particularly the foundation year you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    But maths is very important for chem eng particularly mechanics. I dont believe, tbh the course is that competitive, particularly the foundation year you should be fine.
    Not in some certain degree courses . I hve seen the breakdown on newcastles modules and feel fine with all the maths . It is about 50% chem 30 % maths an 20% other

ReputationRep:
    http://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/d.../h813/modules/
    Really. The only non predominately mathematical module in the first year is the single chemistry module.
    A ChemEng degree is going to be at least two third applied maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam1357)
    Not in some certain degree courses . I hve seen the breakdown on newcastles modules and feel fine with all the maths . It is about 50% chem 30 % maths an 20% other
    Really, I imagine nearly every module will have some maths in it, engineering is at it's core mathematics. For example, say you do a chemistry module you will have a lot of mathematics as part of the theory. It's very important for the course. I know the chemical engineering courses vary university to university but no matter what university you go to, mathematics is very important.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.