Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it weird I hate the taste of alcohol? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys;

Well, as you kind of gathered from the title, I kind of detest the taste of alcohol and seeing as the majority of guys typically drink socially, I will drink it but I don't like it, so I just swallow it as quickly as I can.

Is it strange? (Am nearly 19)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say it was that strange. There are many types of alcohol I can't stand the taste of either.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a 17 year old female and I don't ever drink. I don't like alcohol. I don't think it's weird though. Some people do, some people don't.

ReputationRep:
    have you tried WKD blue? sweet stuff my friend

you not stranger ur different. nothing wrong with that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Hey Guys;

Well, as you kind of gathered from the title, I kind of detest the taste of alcohol and seeing as the majority of guys typically drink socially, I will drink it but I don't like it, so I just swallow it as quickly as I can.

Not really, a lot of young ppl dont really like it. You're probably used to sweeter drinks.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S6500

ReputationRep:
    It is a taste that you have to begin to get really acquainted with before you can start to say that you like it. Even then, the majority of the enjoyment comes from the other components of the beverage itself, the alcohol just makes it a tad bit more interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Exotica-xo)
    have you tried WKD blue? sweet stuff my friend
    I have tried that and it kinda tastes like the blue panda pop. =P
    I can still taste it though (the alcohol that is). =l

I do kinda like it though. I can drink that but typically, females drink that...

I don't think so. I'm fairly sure I'm a supertaster, and I think it's disgusting. But after a while... you just don't care :wink2:

ReputationRep:
      I don't really like the taste of beer. Some are really bitter so it's disgusting! I don't like red wine, champagne etc too.

ReputationRep:
      It's not weird at all, I think it tastes awful.

ReputationRep:
      O.o :eek:Taste Aversion me thinks...
      well as far as lack of alcohol does not stop you from having fun then DONT drink. I bet you wouldnt be the plonker running around naked after a lads night out.
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      :nah:

The only alcohol I can stand is half-decent wine

Edit: Just realised how middle-class that sounds

ReputationRep:
      Well, you can tick liver cancer of your likely problems on the plus side.

ReputationRep:
      Try kopparberg

ReputationRep:
      General alcohol is an acquired taste, which is why when you see chavvy 13-year-olds drinking it's normally alcopops and WKD, stuff that's sweeter and doesn't have such an alcoholic taste (which unfortunately has given such drinks a bad image as being for girls and kids). But there are so many different alcoholic drinks out there that there's sure to be something you like. I'm not a massive fan of beer, again due to the taste, so when I get the chance I try and go for cider - it's not got quite as bad rep as alcopops but it's still more tolerable - pear is less dry that apple and lots of brands are doing mixed fruit ones now which are excellent.

To answer your original question, OP, no, it's not at all unusual.

ReputationRep:
      I strongly dislike a lot of alcoholic drinks. I can't explain which flavour it is that I don't like but I can't drink Beer, Wine or Cider without feeling ill, even the sweet or flavoured ones are awful. I usually end up drinking alcopops- can't taste anything but sugar.

ReputationRep:
      Probably because it is literally a poisonous substance.

ReputationRep:
      No not at all, I dont like alcohol! Literally makes me feel sick as soon as its hits my stomach. I usually dread nights out because I know people will be buying me drinks which is of course very nice of my friends, but I just hate the taste! and it makes my skin all red and dry the next morning.

alcohol isnt for everyone!

ReputationRep:
      Don't drink alcohol most people only drink it for the same reason they smoke and you can't tell me people love the smell of cigarette smoke it's disgusting.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Scienceisgood)
      Hey Guys;

Why?Sounds like peer pressure to me like.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.