Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is Feminism a force for good? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't think many reasonable people will deny that good has come in the name of feminism. I also don't think many reasonable people will deny that harm has come in the name of feminism. So my question is simple. Overall do you think feminism has been a force for good or not?

ReputationRep:
    Feminism does not have a universally accepted definition, and its probably the disparity between militant/womens lib feminism and people seeking say equal working conditions that has led, like in many subjects, to the subject being portrayed by its extremes. If we take a broad definition that suggests equality for men and women, then yes it is obviously a force for good. The suggestion of this in itself cannot do harm, the extreme/harmful application or violent protest is what can.
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I do. I don't like the name, though - I think it needs to change in the coming years, because more and more issues of gender equality are shown to be more broad than simply the subjection of women.

ReputationRep:
    100 years ago women weren't allowed to vote, not expected to work and were severely limited in their social life. Feminism fought for them and today they enjoy relative equality in society, although there still is a way to go. Feminism has brought a great deal of good, however as a movement it seems to have been hijacked in public consciousness in recent years by a more militant brand claiming gender superiority.

ReputationRep:
    If we look at the lengths some things have gone under the banner of feminism and what the government is doing then currently, no.

ReputationRep:
    Feminism (various definitions) was a force for good but is becoming an anachronism.

ReputationRep:
    I'm honestly very sceptical as to how much good the feminist movement has actually done, it's done well at gaining rights for women and breaking down women's gender roles. But it has done nothing to make sure that men's rights are equal to those of women and that men's gender roles are broken down.

Feminism from the get-go has focussed almost entirely on advancing women's rights alone, which is the wrong way to approach things. You don't get two plants to grow to the same size by only watering the smaller one.

ReputationRep:
    I feel as though the original concept of feminism has been completely diluted over the years and now a lot of people are getting the wrong idea.
    I would definitely consider myself a feminist and personally, refuse to be paid less than my male counterparts on the basis that my repoductive organs do not hang outside my body.
    Insofar as getting the vote and re-establishing a woman's role in society, it has definitely been a force for good. We don't see adverts like this on bus stops anymore, although looking back, some of them are quite funny
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-husbands.html
    I think there's still a lot of work to be done with regards to gender equality across the world, but personally, I think the term 'feminism' is outdated.
    I know people who mistakenly think feminism means 'girls are best', and all feminists are ball-busting, family hating, bra burning, hairy lesbians who live on their own with only their cats for company. :facepalm:
    However, I think considering how politically correct our society has become, there's a lot of opportunity for abuse; maybe the odd employee who's been irked by their boss starts to cry 'sexism' and 'sexual harassment' everytime something doesn't go their way, coasting through life, expecting an easy ride with the mindset of "Women were surpressed for decades, and even though I wasn't one of them, you should be extra nice to me in order to make up for all the crap".
    Unfortunately I work with one of those opportunists

ReputationRep:
    Feminism has by and large had its followers' objectives undergo a paradigm shift from equality for women to advantage for women.

You only have to look at how we are now observing so called feminists demanding quotas for women whenever they are underrepresented in certain professions, but no such call for equalising things wherever men are underrepresented.

Everyone would agree that it's wrong to be given a job purely because you have a penis, but they don't see the irony in demanding that you get given the job purely because you have a vagina.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely not.

In the workplace, women are a poor investment. They take maternity leave, they stop working earlier and they rarely have the confidence to rise to top positions. Feminism aims to discriminate FOR women and give them better jobs. Better jobs even though they are going to be less productive in them than a male counterpart. Ridiculous.

Feminism is a waste of time and bad for the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superturban)
    Definitely not.

In the workplace, women are a poor investment. They take maternity leave, they stop working earlier and they rarely have the confidence to rise to top positions. Feminism aims to discriminate FOR women and give them better jobs. Better jobs even though they are going to be less productive in them than a male counterpart. Ridiculous.

Feminism is a waste of time and bad for the world.
    That would be your own misogynistic 'third world' view on the subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swanbow)
    100 years ago women weren't allowed to vote, not expected to work and were severely limited in their social life. Feminism fought for them and today they enjoy relative equality in society, although there still is a way to go. Feminism has brought a great deal of good, however as a movement it seems to have been hijacked in public consciousness in recent years by a more militant brand claiming gender superiority.
    this. When I say I'm a feminist people flinch in horror. I dont burn bras. I do in fact rather like them. I also like gender equality.

There needs to be some form of rebranding because feminism doesnt mean man-hating but thats how everyone percieves that word.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Islander)
    That would be your own misogynistic 'third world' view on the subject.
    FACT they take more holiday
    FACT they reitre earlier
    FACT they are less likely to get to top positions (bit chicken and egg here, I concede but it is the truth nevertheless)

So why should a woman be favoured for a position that is potentially very productive for the economy over a man who is going to do a longer and more successful job?

ReputationRep:
    FACT they reitre earlier
    FACT they are less likely to get to top positions (bit chicken and egg here, I concede but it is the truth nevertheless)

So why should a woman be favoured for a position that is potentially very productive for the economy over a man who is going to do a longer and more successful job?
    A women should not be favoured they should be treated equally. And maternity leave and retirement should not be taken into account at all.

This must be hard for a third world person to understand that women are equal to men

ReputationRep:
    I think many would agree that the overall 'aim' of feminism is equality for women. Pure and simple.

But people, both men and women, misunderstand it - they take the movement to mean anti-men, which it's not.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    FACT they reitre earlier

Would you mind providing sources for your claims?
    And once again, feminism isn't about being 'favoured' for a job, it's about being given equal opportunity and not being discriminated against on the grounds that we have two 'X' chromosomes.

ReputationRep:
    No. Just like every organised group out there they simply defend their own interests and their own agenda.

ReputationRep:
    I think feminism has done some good however I think at the moment it's doing more harm than good. A lot of feminists will be saying they are fighting for equality/rights but most of them aren't, they are trying to claim they are better than men her and they should be in higher in society etc. Instead of fighting for trueeqality, they wanted to be discriminated positively (i.e. be given more/better privileges) which I think is as bad as the sexism which was there in the first place

ReputationRep:
    Females roughly make up 50% of the population... if they were not allowed to work, the government will be loosing out on tax revenue.

ReputationRep:
    A force for good?
    In the past it certainly has. First and second wave feminism was definitely seen over all as a force for good and was needed.
    Third wave feminism on the other hand seems to have morphed from any attempt at gender equality into gender dominance at any price. By any price I mean aping the tactics of fascists. Take care when hunting monsters that you dont turn into one yourself.
    If you want an example of where it has gone wrong you need look no further that what happened at the recent Warren Farrell protest at Toronto uni.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iARHCxAMAO0

I'll happily give you that women get the ****ty end of the stick on a global scale, but in this country, I'd say it depends where you are standing.
    The other day I saw a gang of 50 - 55 year old men laying concrete flags for the council. When I see a gang of 50 yr old women doing such jobs I'll listen to tales about glass ceilings.
    Trying to say that women working as dinner ladies serving in a primary school should get the same pay as binmen getting up a 4am out in all weathers, when women are more than capable of doing the bin mans job, they just choose not to......eh?
    Many men and women are both condemned to low skilled jobs but how many women do you see working the black stuff? They choose to serve behind the counter at Greggs. How many men do you see there? Where is the gender equality in that. Many low paid women choose to do the jobs that they do as its the easy option.
    In the UK, well educated and skilled women aren't getting the ****ty end of the stick, poor working class ones are, just like their menfolk.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.