Intelligence. How do we define it? Watch

ReputationRep:
    result / time spent = intelligence

result = intelligence

understanding = intelligence

innovation = intelligence

result / time spent + understanding + innovation = intelligence

ect ect

but what do you guys think defines intelligence? Though many would argue and I myself would agree that intelligence is subjective, in a general sense what defines 'high intelligence'.

Things I sometimes think about:

'Do high grades make someone intelligent?'

'Does a good education make you intelligent, or just well educated?'

'Is intelligence separate from natural ability?'

'Is intelligence simply a term used to describe someone with a certain affinity for something, and comes in too many forms to label someone?'

ReputationRep:
    Definitely not the OP!
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    I see intelligence as the ability to solve novel problems.

ReputationRep:
    We don't define it, that's not to say we can't try. Everyone will have their own definition of intelligence.

Anyway, it id God's will that we have intelligence, why must we anger him by trying to figure out what he planned when we are not worthy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Procastinator)
    No one is intelligent enough to define intelligence yet.
    Well, who is to say it is even definable? 'Intelligence' is a human concept, so is subjective. Furthermore, is there truly any definitive definition of any philosophical concept as broad as intelligence?

ReputationRep:
    I think the ability to problem solve a big part of it. It has multiple elements, both knowledge and intuition, and is vital for any form of autonomous operation.

ReputationRep:
    It's difficult to define but I like to keep it simple:

Being able to overcome/solve a problem

Intelligence is closely linked with academic ability which I think is wrong. Absolutly knowledge is important and vital to overcoming problems but there are things people need to know which aren't in textbooks or taught in schools. Therefore you could be really smart but not necessarily intelligent in the 'real world' because you have a lot of theoretical knowledge but you haven't actually done it.

One of the best examples I can think of (dunno how good it is, it's 2 in the morning i'm tired and have been drinking beer)
    Is the fresh prince of bel-air (anyone remember that show ) Carlton is an absolute genuis whereas Will isn't but when it comes to various situations usually them being stuck somewhere for example Carlton usually panic and doesn't know what to do where as Will tends to solve or at leas partially solve the problem.

Everyone looks at Carlton as being really smart but when you know him outside of academics and his easy life in Bel-Air he is actually really dumb.

So is he intelligent?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frazer151)
    result / time spent = intelligence

result = intelligence

understanding = intelligence

innovation = intelligence

result / time spent + understanding + innovation = intelligence

ect ect

but what do you guys think defines intelligence? Though many would argue and I myself would agree that intelligence is subjective, in a general sense what defines 'high intelligence'.

Things I sometimes think about:

'Do high grades make someone intelligent?'

'Does a good education make you intelligent, or just well educated?'

'Is intelligence separate from natural ability?'

'Is intelligence simply a term used to describe someone with a certain affinity for something, and comes in too many forms to label someone?'
    Problem is people tend to confuse intelligence with knowledge. Being able to get good grades in exams is all about knowledge and your ability to hold facts in your brain, not intelligence. My bf is one of the most intelligent people I can think of but he can't do exams, because he hasn't got as good a memory as others, but ask him to make a computer program to do something and he'll work and work on it until he has achieved it. He gets 90% plus in coursework and such, but it's exams, because exams are knowledge not intelligence.
    That is why there are so many idiots in government, because even though they were 'top of their class', they have no real intelligence. My mate got into Oxford uni, but is the dumbness person I know, she can memorise facts sure, but has no logic, or sense at all.
    In my view intelligence is very hard to measure, I'm not a braniac but passed the 11+ and got into an amazing high school, not due to intelligence, but because my tutor made me memorise facts, and I revised/was tutored for over a year for one exam. Intelligence is something people see in one another, not a measured thing, that's what I think anyway...

ReputationRep:
    Intelligence is an arrow that has hit its target.

ReputationRep:
    Intelligence is simply how we managed to get into this situation, being able to type on a computer and easily share information and opinions.

I'd say you'd measure intelligence by level of understanding of others around you. True intelligence is application of knowledge and thinking for oneself.

ReputationRep:
    The ability to use your current knowledge to figure something else out. (outside of what you already know as true)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.