Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Bond b was 120 degrees because there were 3 bonding pairs of electrons which formed a triangular planar shape, each pair repels one another to be as far away as they can to minimise repulsion.
    Bond a was 109 degrees because there were 4 bonding pairs which forms a tetrahedral shape, therefore the angle is less than b.

Question about heteregeneous and catalyst;
    The definition of heterogeneous- when the catalyst is in a different phase/physical state to the reactants.
    A catalyst speeds up the rate of a reaction without getting used up and lowers activation energy

ReputationRep:
    Angle b is 120!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurasales86)
    It's skeletal so would not show the hydrogen. I think it should be 109 because the four areas of electron density repel one another... Ect sure you will do fine :-)
    oh B has a double bond so the four electrons count as one area Of electron density 120. A has four area 3x carbon and one hydrogen= 109. Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    past paper january 2009, question 2bii) - its 120! (angle b)

ReputationRep:
    Need the other pages of the paper! I'm compiling them and will put them as a pdf.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smileitsfree)
    Attachment 192249

you know the deal.. 2 reps
    We're waiting in anticipation

ReputationRep:
    Name:  538509_502467686464890_68478427_n.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  89.1 KB

ReputationRep:
    Name:  538509_502467686464890_68478427_n.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  89.1 KB
    We're missing pages 5,6 and 7

ReputationRep:
    Name:  217763_502467653131560_630462132_n.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  70.4 KB

next post 5 reps

ReputationRep:
    Please guys, rep him!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Btw what did you gus put for the very last question?

ReputationRep:
    Name:  217763_502467653131560_630462132_n.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  70.4 KB

next post 5 reps
    Pushing it a tad, no? Can't you just post the pages to help us out rather than use it as leverage for personal gain?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richyp22)
    Group number, corresponding to amount of electrons in outer shell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richyp22)
    (Original post by fattail95)
    I put that too, but I also mentioned about the period the element is in and that it shows the amount of occupied electron shells.

ReputationRep:
    Pushing it a tad, no? Can't you just post the pages to help us out rather than use it as leverage for personal gain?
    do you have the paper?

i didnt think so. next post 10 reps if you keep complaining.

ReputationRep:
    So, what was the answer to the oxygenate question?
    I remember writing the only thing that came to my head- that it requires less oxygen to be completely burnt- therefore the petrol having an oxygenate instead of the corresponding alkane it would require oxygen

Pretty sure there was a better answer and i dont know if i would get any marks for this answer?

ReputationRep:
    For the oxygenate questions, I just wrote it increase octane number when added to petrol.

It was only a 1 marker.

ReputationRep:

(Original post by Quiggle)
    I put that too, but I also mentioned about the period the element is in and that it shows the amount of occupied electron shells.
    I wasnt sure so I put. Number of eleectrons on outer shell and number of energy levels. So i put both.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EstebanK0)
    For the oxygenate questions, I just wrote it increase octane number when added to petrol.

It was only a 1 marker.
    Nope, reduces incomplete combustion. Due to the fuel now having a higher oxygen to carbon ratio. First sentence will probably surfice though

ReputationRep:
    For bond angle Q the first question bond B = 109 due to the double bond and A=120!!!!!!! 4 electron pairs = 109!!!!! 3 electron pairs = 120!!!!!
    Look in your text book guys!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.