Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    June 2010, S2, edexcel
    http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocu...e_20100609.pdf

http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocu...c_20100714.pdf

Question 6.
    A company claims that a quarter of the bolts sent to them are faulty. To test this claim the number of faulty bolts in a random sample of 50 is recorded.
    The number of faulty bolts was 8
    Comment on the company’s claim in the light of this value. Justify your answer.

I thought that all you have shown (by hypothesis testing in the earlier parts of the question) is that there is not significant evidence (to 5%) to reject the companies claim, and that you have in no way shown the claim to be correct.

However the mark scheme says "There is evidence that the probability of a faulty bolt is 0.25 or the company’s claim is correct."
    Which is right?
    • Study Helper

(Original post by Nick_)
    I thought that all you have shown (by hypothesis testing in the earlier parts of the question) is that there is not significant evidence (to 5%) to reject the companies claim, and that you have in no way shown the claim to be correct.

However the mark scheme says "There is evidence that the probability of a faulty bolt is 0.25 or the company’s claim is correct."
    Which is right?
    There is no evidence to reject the company's claim (the null hypothesis), and therefore we accept it.

To say that it is "correct" however is a big step, and one I wouldn't make.

We could state that p(faulty bolt) = 0.2, and by the same test results, we would accept that. They can't both be correct.

So, markscheme is wrong, IMHO.

Your original interpretation is the correct one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_)
    June 2010, S2, edexcel
    http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocu...e_20100609.pdf

http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocu...c_20100714.pdf

Question 6.
    A company claims that a quarter of the bolts sent to them are faulty. To test this claim the number of faulty bolts in a random sample of 50 is recorded.
    The number of faulty bolts was 8
    Comment on the company’s claim in the light of this value. Justify your answer.

Which is right?
    Well by reading the question you should know that this a binomial distribution.
    X~B (50,0.25)
    H0: P= 0.25 ; H1: P<0.25
     => P(X<(equal)5) =0.0070<0.01 => reject H0

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dan94adibi)
    Well by reading the question you should know that this a binomial distribution.
    X~B (50,0.25)
    H0: P= 0.25 ; H1: P<0.25
     => P(X<(equal)5) =0.0070<0.01 => reject H0
    thank you, but it was actually part d i was looking at

ReputationRep:
    Sorry about that.

Well you are looking for P(X<(equal)8) = 0.0916 > 0.025

Therefore there is not enough evidence to reject H0 hence the company is correct.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dan94adibi)
    Sorry about that.

Well you are looking for P(X<(equal)8) = 0.0916 > 0.025

Therefore there is not enough evidence to reject H0 hence the company is correct.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Don't worry, my point was simply that the test does not say that the company is right, only that it is not shown to be wrong.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.