Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I was doing an economic unit 3 question the other day and it was asking
    'To what extent do you think this market is contestable?'
    I struggled with this question, any idea how I can answer this question?

ReputationRep:
    It is basically asking about the barriers to entry / exit.

Look at set-up costs, advertising by current firms, legal barriers, limit pricing and cost advantages in the given market.

Though the actual answer will depend on what market you are talking about...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dean01234)
    It is basically asking about the barriers to entry / exit.

Look at set-up costs, advertising by current firms, legal barriers, limit pricing and cost advantages in the given market.

Though the actual answer will depend on what market you are talking about...
    Am I looking to see how close that market is to a perfect market?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dan94adibi)
    Am I looking to see how close that market is to a perfect market?
    No, the theory of contestable markets is that the threat of competition will make monopolies / oligopolies behave as if there is some competition, in order to keep out potential competition.

A market is contestable if it is easy to enter ie a perfectly competitive market. However if there are lots of barriers to entry the market is not very contestable.

But I would recommend reading through some textbooks, tutor2u or even the mark scheme (only if you are really stuck, and only a quick glance... Don't write your essay from it)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dean01234)
    No, the theory of contestable markets is that the threat of competition will make monopolies / oligopolies behave as if there is some competition, in order to keep out potential competition.

A market is contestable if it is easy to enter ie a perfectly competitive market. However if there are lots of barriers to entry the market is not very contestable.

But I would recommend reading through some textbooks, tutor2u or even the mark scheme (only if you are really stuck, and only a quick glance... Don't write your essay from it)
    Thanks for your help.
    I'm 100% sure this will come up. I just want to prepared just incase if its in the data response question I choose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dan94adibi)
    I'm 100% sure this will come up.
    How do you know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolStoryBroo)
    How do you know?
    This is one of the examiners favourites. Its been there almost every year.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 31, 2012

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.