Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

why tall humans will die out... Watch

ReputationRep:
    OP are you short? Is this a way of making you feel better about yourself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by effofex)
    Average female height in the Netherlands is 5 ft 7, whilst average female height in the US is 5 ft 4, yet average calorie consumption in the US is higher.
    Perhaps it's due to a natural genetic disposition to be taller in the Netherlands along with a high protein diet: Environment and genetics both play a part in human height. But high calorie diets are a major factor in determining height, as is evident when comparing the diets and heights of people throughout history.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Collierja)
    Wait a minute, are you saying that tallness correlates with wealth?
    No, wealth throws out constant that would make food a limiting factor. So whilst squirrels, for example, will evolve to better survive with what they have, the ability humans have to purchase all the food they need, regardless of height, means this is utter crap. Because 'tallness' (it's called height) doesn't correlate with wealth (ie food availability) this is a stupidly wrong hypothesis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wateva)
    lol i read that too, quite funny.
    That's because you're stupid

ReputationRep:
    Whenever threads such as 'what are the most attractive qualities in a man' pop up, girls always say 'tall' (hence why there are so many '**** I'm short!' threads too)

Natural selection suggests otherwise OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    That's because you're stupid
    At least he has a good sense of humour and doesn't take things too seriously unlike some people...

ReputationRep:
    The only reason we've been getting taller than previous generations is because we have more food now than we ever used to have. If our food supply somehow dips in the future I'm sure it won't cause an extinction of tall people.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    We are already capable of genetically engineering mass amounts of food, starvation is certainly not a threat.

ReputationRep:
    At least he has a good sense of humour and doesn't take things too seriously unlike some people...
    I have a good sense of humour, just a low tolerance for retardation, especially when they're mocking you for being the incorrect one, when you're not

You're new here, you'll learn

ReputationRep:
    Natural selection meant that the disadvantaged physically would die off, but since no one is dying off because of their ugly/mutated appearance anytime soon then that idea goes up in smoke.

So basically having tall people will be the least of our mutated problems in the future. As for feeding them, genetically modified cow steak it is.

ReputationRep:
    Humans are evolving to be fatter and stupider. Oh well...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    I have a good sense of humour, just a low tolerance for retardation, especially when they're mocking you for being the incorrect one, when you're not

You're new here, you'll learn
    Lol *smug smiley*
    That emoticon says it all...

ReputationRep:
    Lol *smug smiley*
    That emoticon says it all...
    Yep, I am incredibly smug, like allllllllllllllll the time.

Attractive, too. And fire-breathing.

ReputationRep:
    a week ago i posted a thread (why tall humans will die out) explaining why i think tall humans will die out and got alot of negative responses calling me mad.
    yesterday (7th jan) an article in the daily express reads: "why we'll become like hobbits" -by climate news network, (i'll cut to the points) "humans will become like hobbits to survive rapid climate change"-"one sucessful strategy, adopted by many species from horses to earthworms, was to turn to dwarfism." - "as food is less nutritious in a warmer world, people, animals and insects will have to eat more to survive, when food is liable to be scarce. in this situation smaller hobbit size people, who mature sexually earlier, will have the best chance of surviving."
    SO SUCK ON THAT

ReputationRep:
    a week ago i posted a thread (why tall humans will die out) explaining why i think tall humans will die out and got alot of negative responses calling me mad.
    yesterday (7th jan) an article in the daily express reads: "why we'll become like hobbits" -by climate news network, (i'll cut to the points) "humans will become like hobbits to survive rapid climate change"-"one sucessful strategy, adopted by many species from horses to earthworms, was to turn to dwarfism." - "as food is less nutritious in a warmer world, people, animals and insects will have to eat more to survive, when food is liable to be scarce. in this situation smaller hobbit size people, who mature sexually earlier, will have the best chance of surviving."
    SO SUCK ON THAT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wateva)
    SO SUCK ON THAT
    Daily Express is hardly the most factual of documents. They haven't got any evidence, just stating an outlandish idea, like your self, to gain attention, and subsequently sell papers.

ReputationRep:
    a long time ago some people believed the earth was flat, some believed religion was true, some of you will look back at this thread and wish you had offspring with a midget.

ReputationRep:
    Our intelligence costs us a lot more food than anywhere else in our bodies. Considering our brain is only a very small proportion of our weight (less than 25%), it takes up 70% of all consumed energy.

That means that the reason we evolved intelligence is NOT because food was scarce - maybe the opposite.

We're too smart to be majorly physically constrained by evolution. From now on, any evolution that happens to us will not be big because we will manage to solve all our physical problems technologically much faster than evolution ever will. If anything we'll evolve very slightly to suit technological advances that we make. Food will never be a problem because we could make a virtually infinite amount of it.

For most species, when there are very harsh food conditions, usually their numbers dwindle out rather than their physiology morphed. There is a general pattern in evolution of simply increasing in size. I don't think I've heard of a case in any species where its overall size DECREASED. If the conditions were that bad then they would simply die out.

In conclusion: whatever article you were reading, it was bull****.

ReputationRep:
    Well, ironically, that sentence doesn't make perfect sense.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.