Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is selfishness the motivation behind most charitable acts? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've just started to volunteer at the local Princess Alice Hospice shop in Surrey and wondered if (like mine) the majority of charitable acts were the result of selfishness.

I'm not too fussed about the charity, I just wanted to stick something on my CV. The 'donors' want to get rid of their old tat and my colleagues are primarily interested in the freebies (I'd only been there 5 minutes and a co-worker popped in to 'borrow' some champagne glasses)

There's nothing wrong with any of this because ultimately its for a good cause, but is there a lot more selfishness behind charity than we care to admit?

ReputationRep:
    Most charities still function as a business, they provide incomes to the people working there. But the people who opt to work there as opposed to somewhere else have that sense of alturism I guess, even if it happens to be to even a small extent.

ReputationRep:
    I volunteer at a charity shop and I admit that I only did it to put something on my personal statement and cv. However, now I'm there I don't want to leave because I don't want to let people I work with/ the charity down, and it does make me feel better than a paying job because it's doing something for a good cause not just for money. I probably wouldn't have done it if it wasn't for those selfish reasons but I'm glad I did.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For some. Yes it is. Take universities. A good number of people who get involved with charity while they're at university are unfortunately only doing it so that they have something good to put on their CV.

Absolutely. We are all selfish to some extent. Rarely do we do good things without receiving something in return. I would also argue the release of endorphins we get from doing good things also makes it selfish because the chances are we only do it for the warm feeling inside.

ReputationRep:
      Everything is a selfish act. It is impossible to be truly selfless.

ReputationRep:
      Definately, as someone who has been involved in Charity work of all degrees for the past six years I have come to the conclusion that ultimately everyone does it for selfish reasons, ranging from "It looks good on a CV" to "I just get this lovely feeling knowing ive done some good" and much inbetween

Is there anything wrong with that?

Not at all, as long as your helping people no one should give a flying **** as to why your doing it.
      That's your business alone.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by _Emilyy)
      I volunteer at a charity shop and I admit that I only did it to put something on my personal statement and cv. However, now I'm there I don't want to leave because I don't want to let people I work with/ the charity down, and it does make me feel better than a paying job because it's doing something for a good cause not just for money. I probably wouldn't have done it if it wasn't for those selfish reasons but I'm glad I did.

Posted from TSR Mobile
      Yeah same thing happened to me, I started volunteering to get some work experience for my CV but I realised that I really enjoy helping people and decided not to leave. I enjoy it way more than my paid job.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.