Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm Irish and want to study medicine in the uk- what tests do I need to do? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Please help. I will be doing my leaving cert equivalent to a levels in 2014,I want to study medicine in the uk ,particularly Oxford or Cambridge, what tests do I need to do and if possible does anyone know if there's anyplace in Ireland to do practice questions? I would love if anyone could explain what the tests are all amount eg. What they entail? Any help would be greatly appreciated,thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Are the bmat and ukcat difficult?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Depending on where you apply, you'll need to sit the UK Clinical Admission Test (UKCAT) or the BioMedical Admission Test (BMAT).

ReputationRep:
    UKCAT and BMAT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenfrench)
    Depending on where you apply, you'll need to sit the UK Clinical Admission Test (UKCAT) or the BioMedical Admission Test (BMAT).
    Do you know what the difference between these two tests are? Would I need to do both of them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tcwillbe)
    Are the bmat and ukcat difficult?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Can't tell. I'll sit the UKCAT in the end of July 2013.

ReputationRep:
    For entry in 2014?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do you know what the difference between these two tests are? Would I need to do both of them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you wanted to apply to Oxford/Cambridge and some some other russell group unis you would have to do the BMAT and for the rest of the medical schools the UKCAT is required. In the BMAT there are 3 sections and the test is 2 hours long . The UKCAT is also 2 hours long but has 5 sections which have of 3 types of reasoning.

ReputationRep:
    Well, as far as I know, Oxford and Cambridge require you to take the BMAT.
    BMAT : http://www.admissionstests.cambridgeass essment.org.uk/adt/bmat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AkhiMohamed)
    If you wanted to apply to Oxford/Cambridge and some some other russell group unis you would have to do the BMAT and for the rest of the medical schools the UKCAT is required. In the BMAT there are 3 sections and the test is 2 hours long . The UKCAT is also 2 hours long but has 5 sections which have of 3 types of reasoning.
    Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For entry in 2014?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenfrench)
    Yes!
    Thanks for taking the time to help me!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for taking the time to help me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You're welcome.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    UKCAT is sat sometime between June or July (I can't remember) and October, so you generally have your score before applying to university. The test is meant to be an ability-based test (so it contains a section of verbal reasoning and one of non-verbal reasoning).

BMAT is sat in November (after applying) and has three sections - a data-understanding/problem solving section, a section with science questions (and they're pretty difficult in my opinion) and an essay writing task.

Whether you need to do both depends on where you apply. Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial College London and UCL all require BMAT. Most of the others require UKCAT (though some require neither)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NinjaNerdfighter)
    UKCAT is sat sometime between June or July (I can't remember) and October, so you generally have your score before applying to university. The test is meant to be an ability-based test (so it contains a section of verbal reasoning and one of non-verbal reasoning).

BMAT is sat in November (after applying) and has three sections - a data-understanding/problem solving section, a section with science questions (and they're pretty difficult in my opinion) and an essay writing task.

Whether you need to do both depends on where you apply. Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial College London and UCL all require BMAT. Most of the others require UKCAT (though some require neither)
    That sums up everything pretty well.

ReputationRep:
    Please help. I will be doing my leaving cert equivalent to a levels in 2014,I want to study medicine in the uk ,particularly Oxford or Cambridge, what tests do I need to do and if possible does anyone know if there's anyplace in Ireland to do practice questions? I would love if anyone could explain what the tests are all amount eg. What they entail? Any help would be greatly appreciated,thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
    what on earth for? Medicine can be studied here in Trinity, NUI, UCD UCC all do medicine.

You'll be at home and its usually cheaper here as well.

ReputationRep:
    Standard UKCAT and BMAT :yes:

ReputationRep:
    ]1. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Preparing-BM...0701110&sr=1-4

2. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Preparing-BM...0701110&sr=1-2

Are these 2 bmat books the same, is one a newer edition? does anyone have any experience using them? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    ]1. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Preparing-BM...0701110&sr=1-4

2. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Preparing-BM...0701110&sr=1-2

Are these 2 bmat books the same, is one a newer edition? does anyone have any experience using them? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The latter one, (2.) is from 2010, the former from 2005.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I see that now thanks, do you think there would be a difference in content? There certainly is in price!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.