Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    to save on bills like rent etc is it possible (from anyones experience) to live in a van? like a camper van. i mean its possible right? you can like get a gym membership and use their showers and **** in their toilets.
    i cant see any negatives

ReputationRep:
    Neither can anyone else,that's why it's so popular.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maxisussex)
    Neither can anyone else,that's why it's so popular.
    would you get quoted for a less insurance fee cos ur living in it? lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wateva)
    would you get quoted for a less insurance fee cos ur living in it? lol
    I highly doubt it, having no fixed address can push your premium up quite a lot, telling them you are living in it will probably push it up even more so.

But yes living in a van is entirely possible, though the legality of doing so is probably quite grey in places. Considering that local councils get all arsey at people who live "off-grid" in sheds or even just tents on their own property without their permission, living in a van is also likely to attract disapprovement and harrassment from them.

ReputationRep:
    Haha smart, a new gym that opened in my town is only like £10.99 a month

ReputationRep:
    My flatmate has a job in Brighton so he bought a Camper Van to sleep in down there while he works, he enjoys it.

ReputationRep:
    Buy one of those massive argos Lorrys and convert it into a house!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex17595)
    Buy one of those massive argos Lorrys and convert it into a house!
    Genius!

ReputationRep:
    It's definitely doable, bur requires some research. In the US, there are trailer parks for living in mobile homes. Finding one of those would be the best. I'm assuming that there are communities and such online that can give you information about it.

ReputationRep:
    Why not live in a trailer park?

In seriousness though, I have numerous friends who own VW Transporters and typically take off in the things to go mountain biking, rock climbing or surfing for considerable amounts of time (every one of them is an extreme sport fellow), and whilst doing so, live in the things.

I also have a friend who lived underneath the stairs in the cloakroom of his mates house - unofficially contributing to the upkeep and thus saving considerable money (but it's not exactly a means of realistically living and he quickly got tired of it).

I can't say I've ever been that tight to resort to such measures though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.