Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Skinny want to build muscle Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi i'm 16 and an absolute beginner to fitness. I am very skinny and a vegetarian.

What would the best exercises be to gain muscle and what sort of diet should i have to gain more weight?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Get a gym membership I'd say, but don't go on the treadmills etc. Lift dead weights and use the machines, it's a slow process, but if you take protein shakes (which can be nice), you'll see definite results within three months. Jog or cycle also to keep yourself toned. It's essential to stick with it.

If you don't want to spend money, simply do push ups. There are many muscle building exercises online as well. My advice is not really professional -that's what I do- but I hope it helps.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe invest in a cheap bench, and a few dumbbells, download a begineer's workout programme off bodybuilding.com or the like, and build your way up. Go for between 8-12 reps and 3 sets on each exercise you perform, and eat well. Nutrition is key, try to keep fat intake down and increase your protein/calorie intake. (You may want to buy some Whey protein powder to help).

My best piece advice for you however, is read read read. The more time you spend reading up on the best ways to train, the more productive your workouts will be. A lot of guys waste a lot of time making minor gains because they don't know how to effectively build muscle. Again, I would say bodybuilding.com is as good a start as any in that respect.

Also, check out Greg Plitt's Channel on Youtube (motivational). Also, Rob Riches for (technique + good guides to exercises) , and finally for Abs make sure you check out the "8 minute abs workouts" on youtube too, they are great for beginners.

ReputationRep:
    I was very skinny when I started weightlifting, I was 6ft and 8 and a half stone. I brought a bodybuilding encyclopaedia by Arnold schwarznegrr and I followed the exercises and diets and in about 9 months my weight went upto 10 and a half stone.

so in my opinion I recommend you buy a reputable book which covers everything rather than buying multiple books an wasting your money.

And I was training without any supplements.

good luck

ReputationRep:
    When skinny guys lift weights they don't lose weight, they gain it. They can't lose much fat because they don't have much to lose. They do gain muscle (and that weighs something).

I've heard good things about Nitrogen Oxide to build muscles. It allows you to work past your normal limit (the limit at which your muscles would fatigue and ache.

I wonder if peas (legumes with natural nitrogen fixing nodules of bacteria in their roots) would be high in Nitrogen Oxide?

To gain muscle mass, you want to do many repetitions with weights (perhaps 50 or so). That means, start with very small weights (perhaps just lift the bar without weights on the ends). Then work yourself up to heavier weights slowly.

The process might take a year or two.

I've seen a very skinny man (mascot of a gym because he was so skinny) transform.

It takes patients, and remember not to push yourself too fast.

Though there are exercise machines on the market (some target specific groups of muscles), it is not necessary to buy expensive equipment. You could lift rocks and build muscles.

Use the equipment that you are comfortable with. Remember that the workout has to be enjoyable, or you won't stick to it.

Runners sometimes convince themselves to run by running in interesting areas.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.uk-muscle.co.uk/getting-s...ybuilding.html

a great guide!

and watch twinmuscleworkout on YouTube they have good tips and are jokes to watch

ReputationRep:
    Wow fitness. Didn't expect this.

Two things OP: eat and lift.
    The eating part composes of eating a ****load like you've never eaten in your life. The amount you'll need to eat will be so much you won't be able to eat it at first so you'll need to work up to it over a few weeks. http://www.freedieting.com/tools/wei...calculator.htm and check the hard to gain weight box. Their protein estimates are a little high so don't worry if you find it hard to get it all. You do not need protein shakes of any kind yet, eating meat is a much more economical option at this stage.
    The lifting part is.. well lift. Compound movements, a lot of them. I would get on a program like Starting Strength. If your goals are aesthetics then add on some curls and tricep work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ameliasien)
    When skinny guys lift weights they don't lose weight, they gain it. They can't lose much fat because they don't have much to lose. They do gain muscle (and that weighs something).

I've heard good things about Nitrogen Oxide to build muscles. It allows you to work past your normal limit (the limit at which your muscles would fatigue and ache.

I wonder if peas (legumes with natural nitrogen fixing nodules of bacteria in their roots) would be high in Nitrogen Oxide?

To gain muscle mass, you want to do many repetitions with weights (perhaps 50 or so). That means, start with very small weights (perhaps just lift the bar without weights on the ends). Then work yourself up to heavier weights slowly.

The process might take a year or two.

I've seen a very skinny man (mascot of a gym because he was so skinny) transform.

It takes patients, and remember not to push yourself too fast.

Though there are exercise machines on the market (some target specific groups of muscles), it is not necessary to buy expensive equipment. You could lift rocks and build muscles.

Use the equipment that you are comfortable with. Remember that the workout has to be enjoyable, or you won't stick to it.

Runners sometimes convince themselves to run by running in interesting areas.
    WTF are you on about lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tooosh)
    Wow fitness. Didn't expect this.

Two things OP: eat and lift.
    The eating part composes of eating a ****load like you've never eaten in your life. The amount you'll need to eat will be so much you won't be able to eat it at first so you'll need to work up to it over a few weeks. http://www.freedieting.com/tools/wei...calculator.htm and check the hard to gain weight box. Their protein estimates are a little high so don't worry if you find it hard to get it all. You do not need protein shakes of any kind yet, eating meat is a much more economical option at this stage.
    The lifting part is.. well lift. Compound movements, a lot of them. I would get on a program like Starting Strength. If your goals are aesthetics then add on some curls and tricep work.
    Eating meat not an option due to religion, but thanks for advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseafan)
    im a veggie too, much more difficult but do able. use Optimum nutrition - 100% Standard Whey protein shakes

ReputationRep:
    I will tell you all the steps you need to start building muscle.

1- Do a proper diet

Calculate your maintenance calories using katch mc ardle formula (or other formulas, this one is just the most accurate, but you need to know your bodyfat, if u dont know, search on google for other ones)

whatever the formula is it will give you how much calories you need to eat per day to maintain your diet. you want to build muscle so you'll need to eat a calorie surplus :

assuming that you're an ectomorph (you're saying that you're skinny) I recomend you eating per day something like : maintenance + 500 calories

weigh yourself at least one time by the end of the week (sunday) and check whether you weigh the same or not if you're seeing a small increase in weight (+/- 250 grams) keep going if it stays the same add more 250 calories so eat 750 calories of surplus and so on.

after that it's time to divide all this calories on macros (protein, fat, and carbs)

I usually eat 2g per kg of protein (check how much it is in percentage of the overall calories) then your fat intake should be about 1.5g per kg (check again percentage) the remaining percentage is for carbs. (it should do 100% in total)

divide all the calories in 7 meals (I eat 7 meals)

in the breakfast and post workout put a good quantity of protein. In the pwo you can use whey protein due to its quick absortion and TAKE IT WITH WATER; NOT MILK, otherwise your muscle will not get the protein needed to promote anabolism again in time. The protein on the bedtime meal should consist of casein (slow acting protein, not the supplement lol), good sources of it are milk, quark cheeses, basically whatever consists of milk or if you have money buy casein (I recomend universal nutrition ). About the carbs, distribute equally throughout the day except on breakfast and pre workout (this meals should contain more carbs)
    About fat, do not care much about the distribution but remember that you need it for your hormonal production (thyroid, growth hormone and testosterone) that play the biggest role on muscle development so as strength gains otherwise no one would use roids. put more fat on the bed time meal, because it slows up the absortion of your protein which is a good thing before going to bed (you'll not be eating for 8 hours)

good protein sources : chicken/turkey breast, eggs, whey, cheese, milk, tuna
    good carb sources (you need to take LOW GLYCEMIC CARBS) : whole rice or other rice with low gycemic index, oats, whole bread, quinoa and then on your post workout put a VERY HIGH GLYCEMIC INDEX CARBS such as dextrose or maltodextrin.
    good fat sources:nuts (hazelnuts,walnuts,almonds), olive oil, avocado, salmon (very rich in protein as well)

about supplements you can take some creatine and a testosterone booster, aminoacids its a waste of money while bulking use it only for cutting. whey I dont consider it as a supplement as all but you should take it ONLY ON TRAINING DAYS IN YOUR POSTWORKOUT MEAL ONLY, SOLID FOOD IS A LOT BETTER. IF YOUR NOT GOING TO TRAIN THAT DAY REPLACE IT WITH SOLID FOOD.

2-about working out do a split of 4 or 5 workouts a week. monday - legs and abs, tuesday - Chest and triceps, thrusday - back and biceps, Saturday- shoulders

rep range from 8 to 10 or 12 reps, include composed exercises on your workouts, put them as the first exercises of the workout and do them really heavy 5 or 6 reps then move on to isolation exercises and do them with that rep range above.

3-sleep al least 8 hours a day for better hormonal production and to guarantee that you're able to hit all the workouts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tooosh)
    You do not need protein shakes of any kind yet, eating meat is a much more economical option at this stage.
    Strong reading skills

ReputationRep:
    since ur new to it all eat until ur in a caloric surplus and lift weights, heavy as you can but still being safe. thats all there is to it goodluck

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the advice guys. Its been helpful.

ReputationRep:
    There's loads of vegetarian foods which have a lot of protein, maybe consider more of these if you only consume some.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raiden95)
    There's loads of vegetarian foods which have a lot of protein, maybe consider more of these if you only consume some.
    Such as?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    Strong reading skills
    lol reading

(Original post by chelseafan)
    Well protein powder is the easiest option then. If you crunch the calorie numbers yourself then make sure you remember 1g protein has 3cals. And eat a lot of nuts - easy calories and it's a "nice" source of protein (ie not tofu or something).

Unless you like tofu.

ReputationRep:
    There is no need to get a gym membership or buy expensive gear, get some free dumbbells, ones that you can put different weights on. Get a fitness program drawn up to suit you, the correct weight for you to use and commit to 30 mins a day or so and that will help you bulk up. Eat right, you want to be eating small amounts of protein every 3 hours or so, the body can only take on something like 20grams (possibly less) of protein every 3 hours so eating tonnes of red meat in the morning wont help...

Look online or on youtube, there are loads of help videos that can give you idea, sixpackshortcuts is a good one.

EDIT

There are a tonne of people telling you to join a gym and buy all of this protein stuff and invest money in this and that and calculate all sorts of crap.
    There really is no need for what you want to do which I'm assuming is to put on a little bit of muscle mass.
    Seriously very little need to do all of the above unless you want to be a bodybuilder.
    Like I say, get some free weights, about £30 from argos, as long as you can adjust how much so that you can increase your lifting amounts.
    A lot of stuff can be done through pushups and crunches and stuff that needs NO equipment.

As for eating right, as you're vegetarian meat is not an option but lentils and chickpeas and things like that are high in protein (high in fat too so you'll need to take up some cardio such as walking/jogging to help keep fat gain down)

I'm telling you now though, there is no point getting a gym thing at all because at 16 it's a waste of money and unless you live next door, you will never get there. free weights in spare time is best bet... this from personal experience.

ReputationRep:
    I'll speak from experience, I'm not as advanced as most guys here but I'll stick to basic principles that I followed.

Diet > gym

All the output only shows with the perfect diet, ensure high protein and carb intake! That's my 6 month change, not only did I feel better on the outside, my confidence got much better!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    "Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, don't nobody wanna lift this heavy ass weight."

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.