Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Skinny want to build muscle Watch

ReputationRep:

It was a coincidence I wore the same
    Top ( I promise :P ) but it also was a good way of showing how much I changed in shape, crazy how a little dedication goes so far

Bulking:

That was me after some bulking, luckily for me I was in new York for 2 months during summer holidays staying at an apartment (I was 16 at the time) and I had family next door, we'd eat junk food Atleast 2-3x a day, calorie intake 4000-5000 this was VERY different to my normal 2k intake so my body reacted quickly packing on the pounds, I put on 10kg (take note I find it extremely hard to put on weight) all this junk food must have slowed down my metabolism, now putting on weight isn't as much of a problem. I was also close to a hugee park with all kinds of body weight materials (pull up bars, dip bars, press up bars) I did about 200 pressups, 50 dips and 50 Pullups normally in a day, just through these simple lifts I had much more chest mass and arms were at it's peak.

Tip: eat as much as you f****** want, putting on weight will gradually come!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WaceMindu)
    There is no need to get a gym membership or buy expensive gear, get some free dumbbells, ones that you can put different weights on. Get a fitness program drawn up to suit you, the correct weight for you to use and commit to 30 mins a day or so and that will help you bulk up. Eat right, you want to be eating small amounts of protein every 3 hours or so, the body can only take on something like 20grams (possibly less) of protein every 3 hours so eating tonnes of red meat in the morning wont help...

Look online or on youtube, there are loads of help videos that can give you idea, sixpackshortcuts is a good one.

EDIT

There are a tonne of people telling you to join a gym and buy all of this protein stuff and invest money in this and that and calculate all sorts of crap.
    There really is no need for what you want to do which I'm assuming is to put on a little bit of muscle mass.
    Seriously very little need to do all of the above unless you want to be a bodybuilder.
    Like I say, get some free weights, about £30 from argos, as long as you can adjust how much so that you can increase your lifting amounts.
    A lot of stuff can be done through pushups and crunches and stuff that needs NO equipment.

As for eating right, as you're vegetarian meat is not an option but lentils and chickpeas and things like that are high in protein (high in fat too so you'll need to take up some cardio such as walking/jogging to help keep fat gain down)

I'm telling you now though, there is no point getting a gym thing at all because at 16 it's a waste of money and unless you live next door, you will never get there. free weights in spare time is best bet... this from personal experience.
    I don't think a pair of dumbbells is enough

ReputationRep:
    lol I didn't notice you are vegetarian, every food has protein but the type of protein that can build muscle is only from animal origin. Eat a lot of fish instead and protein powder lol but you'll miss the best muscle building food : chicken breast

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rafa.bodybuilder)
    lol I didn't notice you are vegetarian, every food has protein but the type of protein that can build muscle is only from animal origin. Eat a lot of fish instead and protein powder lol but you'll miss the best muscle building food : chicken breast
    Vegetarians don't eat fish.

ReputationRep:
    Despite my ronnie coleman comment above, you want to get big like a body builder, stop trying to lift the heaviest weight poissble and lift for form and until fatigue everytime ensuring you get a good contraction and stretch every rep. Building muscle is not about trying to lift the heaviest thing possible, leave that to the weightlifters and powerlifters. Bodybuilding is about efficient muscle contraction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris195)

It was a coincidence I wore the same
    Top ( I promise :P ) but it also was a good way of showing how much I changed in shape, crazy how a little dedication goes so far

Bulking:

That was me after some bulking, luckily for me I was in new York for 2 months during summer holidays staying at an apartment (I was 16 at the time) and I had family next door, we'd eat junk food Atleast 2-3x a day, calorie intake 4000-5000 this was VERY different to my normal 2k intake so my body reacted quickly packing on the pounds, I put on 10kg (take note I find it extremely hard to put on weight) all this junk food must have slowed down my metabolism, now putting on weight isn't as much of a problem. I was also close to a hugee park with all kinds of body weight materials (pull up bars, dip bars, press up bars) I did about 200 pressups, 50 dips and 50 Pullups normally in a day, just through these simple lifts I had much more chest mass and arms were at it's peak.

Tip: eat as much as you f****** want, putting on weight will gradually come!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    Stats?

ReputationRep:
    What did I just read...?

ReputationRep:
    Check out Eric Kanevsky's KHOT or IceCreamFitness' full body routine if you want the best routines for building muscle. Aim to gain 2-3 pounds per month when bulking. If you're doing this drug free then you should use progressive overload and try to work out each muscle 2-3 times per week.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think a pair of dumbbells is enough
    When used properly and for what this guy wants to do why wouldn't it? To bulk up from relatively skinny all he really needs is few reps with heavy weights, he can work his entire upper body doing different things with dumbbells. He certainly does not need to waste time calculating all of this energy and cal intake ect ect

Also FYI, protein is protein, there isn't some magical powers that animal protein has over the rest. What do you think is in a protein shake? Chicken?

ReputationRep:
    When used properly and for what this guy wants to do why wouldn't it? To bulk up from relatively skinny all he really needs is few reps with heavy weights, he can work his entire upper body doing different things with dumbbells. He certainly does not need to waste time calculating all of this energy and cal intake ect ect

Also FYI, protein is protein, there isn't some magical powers that animal protein has over the rest. What do you think is in a protein shake? Chicken?
    Everything you posted has been wrong or contradictory. The body can take far more than 20g protein an hour, if there is a limit then it's theorized to be much higher. Just eating more protein won't help him put on mass if he doesn't have the calories to support it. £30 weights from Argos will get him 20-30kg db, TOTAL. That's 10-15kg dbs each if he uses them together which puts compound movements out of the question, making a gym not such a bad idea after all hmm? A skinny has no idea of how much to eat since we've never really eaten properly before starting to bulk up so calorie calculations might be necessary.

Everything except the animal protein thing that is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_tait)
    Check out Eric Kanevsky's KHOT or IceCreamFitness' full body routine if you want the best routines for building muscle. Aim to gain 2-3 pounds per month when bulking. If you're doing this drug free then you should use progressive overload and try to work out each muscle 2-3 times per week.
    We got guys on here putting on 7-8lbs of lean muscle a month. I just don't believe it.

ReputationRep:
    As a fellow vegetarian I do hope that you consume dairy, eggs and include plenty of beans, nuts and pulses in your diet.

Otherwise you're probably ****ed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tooosh)
    Everything you posted has been wrong or contradictory. The body can take far more than 20g protein an hour, if there is a limit then it's theorized to be much higher. Just eating more protein won't help him put on mass if he doesn't have the calories to support it. £30 weights from Argos will get him 20-30kg db, TOTAL. That's 10-15kg dbs each if he uses them together which puts compound movements out of the question, making a gym not such a bad idea after all hmm? A skinny has no idea of how much to eat since we've never really eaten properly before starting to bulk up so calorie calculations might be necessary.

Everything except the animal protein thing that is.
    I'll give you the protein thing, I heard that somewhere and it sounded fair enough, but I really had no idea, it was also more to do with the absorption and assimilation, obviously you can eat more.

I think everyone is really blowing what the OP is asking out of proportion, he want to bulk up and gain a little muscle... he even specifies that he's skinny and a beginner to this sort of stuff. There is NO need at all to be calculating all sorts of intakes and spending tonnes on gym memberships for what the OP seems to be wanting. 15kg dumbbells is more than enough for a beginner and he can even buy more weight to add to that, there's no sense throwing butt tonnes of money at a gym for 5 months for something he can get a lot cheaper and a lot more conveniently at home, he's 16 and like I said, unless he lives next to a gym, it's unlikely he's going to be able to get to the gym to get his money's worth.

Problem is all the body building bench jockeys with names like "bodybuilder9000" are coming on and posting ripped photos and telling OP to throw tonnes of money and time into all this stuff when realistically at 16 OP's not going to have the time nor money to do all this. My suggestion my not be the fastest and quickest way to get ripped but it answers the question better taking into account what we know about OP and making logical deductions about what is realistically possible.
    I think the key words everyone seems to be blocking out is "BEGINNER TO FITNESS"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    We got guys on here putting on 7-8lbs of lean muscle a month. I just don't believe it.
    Who are they lol? Are they following Vince Delmonte's program?

ReputationRep:
    I'll give you the protein thing, I heard that somewhere and it sounded fair enough, but I really had no idea, it was also more to do with the absorption and assimilation, obviously you can eat more.

I think everyone is really blowing what the OP is asking out of proportion, he want to bulk up and gain a little muscle... he even specifies that he's skinny and a beginner to this sort of stuff. There is NO need at all to be calculating all sorts of intakes and spending tonnes on gym memberships for what the OP seems to be wanting. 15kg dumbbells is more than enough for a beginner and he can even buy more weight to add to that, there's no sense throwing butt tonnes of money at a gym for 5 months for something he can get a lot cheaper and a lot more conveniently at home, he's 16 and like I said, unless he lives next to a gym, it's unlikely he's going to be able to get to the gym to get his money's worth.

Problem is all the body building bench jockeys with names like "bodybuilder9000" are coming on and posting ripped photos and telling OP to throw tonnes of money and time into all this stuff when realistically at 16 OP's not going to have the time nor money to do all this. My suggestion my not be the fastest and quickest way to get ripped but it answers the question better taking into account what we know about OP and making logical deductions about what is realistically possible.
    I think the key words everyone seems to be blocking out is "BEGINNER TO FITNESS"
    Beginners to fitness make progress following Starting Strength, Greyskull LP or a beginner compound lifting program. If he doesn't live next to the gym he can take a bus? Granted I live in London but come on, there are buses everywhere.
    Whatever age you are, whatever body type, however fat you are, strong, you will stop making aesthetic progress with 15kg of dbs in 2 months or less, by which point you'll be malproportioned because it stopped being heavy enough for benching/rowing a month ago and all you could train properly were your lateral delts and biceps.

No noob made good progress in the lifting world without a fair bit of money, a lot of time and a lot of food.

ReputationRep:
    OK to clarify. I don't want to "get ripped" I just want some muscle so I don't look like a stick. Oh and I do live nearby to a gym.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseafan)
    OK to clarify. I don't want to "get ripped" I just want some muscle so I don't look like a stick. Oh and I do live nearby to a gym.
    Unfortunately most people underestimate how much work is needed to even just not be a stick. Unless you can buy significant weights for home you're better off joining a gym.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tooosh)
    Unfortunately most people underestimate how much work is needed to even just not be a stick. Unless you can buy significant weights for home you're better off joining a gym.
    Yeah will definitely join a gym after exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseafan)
    Yeah will definitely join a gym after exams.
    I don't see a problem starting now mate, you'll probably be on a routine that has you in the gym 3 times per week, about an hour/hour and half each time, you won't need to be living there.

But whatever suits your situation.

ReputationRep:
    Some people on TSR should be banned from giving fitness advice, I swear. That's me included too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.