Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calllu-m)
    Why don't you try having 30 lashes and then tell everyone how it's "nothing"?
    Hes right getting d=few lashes isn't going to do anything, I've has worse injuries in theboxing ring or playing sports.

It def wont put offsome wannabe tough guy punching his wife again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 100hundreds)
    Hes right getting d=few lashes isn't going to do anything, I've has worse injuries in theboxing ring or playing sports.

It def wont put offsome wannabe tough guy punching his wife again.
    Its a much harsher punishment than the UK. Punching your wife won't get you nothing but a warning here. Maybe if you do it repeatedly and permanently harm her, THEN you would get a 3/6 month custodial sentence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Algorithm69)
    Once again the loony Muslims of TSR show us their progressive ways. Terrifying that these people actually live amongst us.
    Oh its you again. Why do you even comment on Islam/Muslim related threads? Whenever you ARE challenged, you ignore the posts. (you ignored the condemnation of terrorism videos I posted even though I quoted you multiple times)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inquirer)
    I think I know why.

It says in the quran that Muslim should beat their wives if they are being rebellious. This they find embarrassing but cannot remove the verse, since quran is divine and all :rolleyes:

Some scholars, trying to adjust the book to the 21st century have argued that wives should be beaten very lightly, with something like a miswak (the joint in picture), which shouldn't leave a mark. I think the OP was trying to emphasize this point.

Its religious logic. You cant change the word of god, but you can reinterpret it to suit the changing society, to make it look good. The OP is clutching at straws here, literally.
    Stop lying. The miswak is not a 21st century'' interpretation''.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GPODT)
    Stop lying. The miswak is not a 21st century'' interpretation''.
    There is nothing in Islamic literature about using miswak. The instruction in the Quran is clear about beating your wives (or hit them) if they are not obedient. This whole idea of beating being carried out by something like a miswak is a new concept from Muslims too embarrassed to present a better case for the verse in the Quran.

ReputationRep:
    It was only in 2004 that the first person was ever ?prosecuted in Saudi for beating their wife, and it took international pressure. The levels of wife beating in Saudi, thanks to Islam, are disgustingly high. The only crime this man committed in the eyes of Islam was beating his woman on the only uncovered area of her body. This case is more than likely one of only a handful of prosecutions for wife beating in almost any Islamic state.

ReputationRep:
    30 lashes??

Spoiler:
    Show

:eek4:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GPODT)
    Its a much harsher punishment than the UK. Punching your wife won't get you nothing but a warning here. Maybe if you do it repeatedly and permanently harm her, THEN you would get a 3/6 month custodial sentence.
    Most of these guys would take 15 mins of discomfort to a 6 month stay taking showers with hardened criminals

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the big difference here is that in the UK, his wife has the political rights and freedoms to actually leave this guy, find work, and support herself as a single parent.

This Saudi man's wife couldn't so much as take the car and drive away from her husband to avoid his beatings. She isn't supposed to be out and about alone either. And he'd get to keep the kids.

ReputationRep:
    I think I know why.

It says in the quran that Muslim should beat their wives if they are being rebellious. This they find embarrassing but cannot remove the verse, since quran is divine and all :rolleyes:
    Excuse me? I NEVER EVER find my holy book that I hold to my heart ,with sincere faith, embarrassing.
    Why are you trying to explain things you have no idea about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xmarksthesh0t)
    Excuse me? I NEVER EVER find my holy book that I hold to my heart ,with sincere faith, embarrassing.
    You aren't at least a teeny tiny bit embarrassed that it says sperm comes from between the backbone and the ribs?

Verse 86:7
    يخرج من بين الصلب والترائب

Transliteration: Yakhruju min bayni alssulbi waalttara-ibi
    Literal: It emerges/appears from between the spine and the rib bones.

:rofl: Silly Allah, forgetting he made sperm come from my balls :bunny:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    You aren't at least a teeny tiny bit embarrassed that it says sperm comes from between the backbone and the ribs?

Verse 86:7
    يخرج من بين الصلب والترائب

Transliteration: Yakhruju min bayni alssulbi waalttara-ibi
    Literal: It emerges/appears from between the spine and the rib bones.

:rofl: Silly Allah, forgetting he made sperm come from my balls :bunny:
    This is a translation that has been changed from 1400 years ago.
    Probably due to Muslims advancing so fast into science and being the super power of knowledge for a while so parts of the body and words have been changed to for clearer explations, go and ask any arab the Quran and they wont be able to accurately translate it due to words being different.

If you are trying to pull out, these so called mistakes/ bad doings in the Quran go ahead, you wont find any.
    Shall I point out the miracles of the Quran?
    Just one. out of the 100\1000's
    http://miraclesofthequran.com/scientific_112.html

ReputationRep:
    This is a translation that has been changed from 1400 years ago.
    Probably due to Muslims advancing so fast into science and being the super power of knowledge for a while so parts of the body and words have been changed to for clearer explations, go and ask any arab the Quran and they wont be able to accurately translate it due to words being different.

If you are trying to pull out, these so called mistakes/ bad doings in the Quran go ahead, you wont find any.
    Shall I point out the miracles of the Quran?
    Just one. out of the 100\1000's
    http://miraclesofthequran.com/scientific_112.html

Ah, the translation argument.

Various Translations:
    Yusuf Ali: proceeding from between the backbone and the ribs.
    Pickthal: that issued from between the loins and ribs.
    Arberry: issuing between the loins and the breast-bones.
    Shakir: coming from between the back and the ribs.
    Sarwar: which comes out of the loins and ribs.
    Khalifa: from between the spine and the viscera.
    Hilali/Khan: proceeding from between the back-bone and the ribs.
    Malik: that is produced from between the loins and the ribs.
    QXP: that issued from between tough rocks and mingled dust.
    Maulana Ali: coming from between the back and the ribs.
    Free Minds: it comes out from between the spine and the testicles.

I think you must know in your heart that the Quran is false, and Mohammed was just a warlord who started a cult.

ReputationRep:
    I Believe truthfully with my heart the Quran is a revelation this the word of God.
    Muhammed Peace be upon him was a man with honour, look at what he did with treating his war prisoners, he gave them better than other man would have done. Everyone that he taught became a leader in their own way. If you call someone as noble as him a warlord, then May I also become a warlord like him.

ReputationRep:
    Why would a future trillionaire want to do that? I'd get people like you to do that for me.
    Well you're not a future trillionaire and i wouldn't do it for you nor would anyone like me (sane). However a passionate muslim such as yourself would jump at the chance as it is proven.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hooj)
    However a passionate muslim such as yourself would jump at the chance as it is proven.
    Where is this proven? Can you provide me some kind of reference to the experiment or the way this became a fact?

ReputationRep:
    Alright..on topic.

Does quran say men should beat their wives if they are being rebellious?

I Believe truthfully with my heart the Quran is a revelation this the word of God. Muhammed Peace be upon him was a man with honour, look at what he did with treating his war prisoners, he gave them better than other man would have done. Everyone that he taught became a leader in their own way. If you call someone as noble as him a warlord, then May I also become a warlord like him.
    What did he do with the war prisoners that was better than what other men would have done?

Most were taken as slaves, men and women. Some were executed as the Banu Qurayza. Atleast one was tortured on his orders. In a way worse than Bilal was ever tortured by the Quresh. By kindling a fire on his chest till he was half dead.

There are people who follow in his footsteps and become warlords like him. Ever heard of the Taliban?

ReputationRep:
    Alright..on topic.

Does quran say men should beat their wives if they are being rebellious?

What did he do with the war prisoners that was better than what other men would have done?

Most were taken as slaves, men and women. Some were executed as the Banu Qurayza. Atleast one was tortured on his orders. In a way worse than Bilal was ever tortured by the Quresh. By kindling a fire on his chest till he was half dead.

There are people who follow in his footsteps and become warlords like him. Ever heard of the Taliban?
    What about people Malcom X? What about M.Ali? They try and and stick to the Sunnah of the prophet PBUH, like most other and it did not involve them killing anyone. I am sorry but I think you are mixing the BBC's viewpoint about terrorism with Islam. What about 25-30 Years ago? The IRA. There will maybe be a new target but due to the extreme prevalence of Islam, it is being propagated against to stop people from joining.

I will ask my Imam about this issue of this execution, as I have limited knowledge upon this and therefore cannot answer this.
    But I can say that this is nothing to do with who got hurt the most.

Edit: I never saw the top part. Here is a Hadith on the treatment of Prisoners.
    Ibn Katheer (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “Ibn ‘Abbaas said: in those days their prisoners were mushrikeen; on the day of Badr the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) commanded them to be kind to their prisoners, so they used to put them before themselves when it came to food… Mujaahid said, this refers to the one who is detained, i.e., they would give food to these prisoners even though they themselves desired it and loved it.”

Also with the wife-beating again this could be justified through translational errors.
    Here is a website that explains it:

ReputationRep:
    What about people Malcom X? What about M.Ali? They try and and stick to the Sunnah of the prophet PBUH, like most other and it did not involve them killing anyone. I am sorry but I think you are mixing the BBC's viewpoint about terrorism with Islam. What about 25-30 Years ago? The IRA. There will maybe be a new target but due to the extreme prevalence of Islam, it is being propagated against to stop people from joining.

I will ask my Imam about this issue of this execution, as I have limited knowledge upon this and therefore cannot answer this.
    But I can say that this is nothing to do with who got hurt the most.

Edit: I never saw the top part. Here is a Hadith on the treatment of Prisoners.
    Ibn Katheer (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “Ibn ‘Abbaas said: in those days their prisoners were mushrikeen; on the day of Badr the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) commanded them to be kind to their prisoners, so they used to put them before themselves when it came to food… Mujaahid said, this refers to the one who is detained, i.e., they would give food to these prisoners even though they themselves desired it and loved it.”

Also with the wife-beating again this could be justified through translational errors.
    Here is a website that explains it:
    Translational errors? Like I stated previously, muslims are embarrased about what is written in the quran and make up excuses such as translational errors.

About the POW you are cherry picking. Muhammad treated some prisoners kindly and set them free for ransom. Others he put to the sword, seizing all their properties and taking their women aa slaves. One he tortured to death.

ReputationRep:
    Translational errors? Like I stated previously, muslims are embarrased about what is written in the quran and make up excuses such as translational errors.

About the POW you are cherry picking. Muhammad treated some prisoners kindly and set them free for ransom. Others he put to the sword, seizing all their properties and taking their women aa slaves. One he tortured to death.
    All of this depended on the circumstances of the time. Can you give me the name of the man that was 'tortured', I will ask my Imam who is much more knowledgeable than.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.