Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Smokers: Will the recent news make you quit? Watch

ReputationRep:
    A pack of 20 usually lasts me a couple of months, so I don't worry about it too much. It's not an addiction for me, I never really get cravings, it's just nice sometimes with a few drinks/as a social thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    in a word, no. i enjoy my cigarettes and besides if im going to die id rather rather it be on my own terms.
    Shooting yourself is on your own terms, smoking isn't. Do you know when you're going to die? Do you know how many months you'll spend on a hospital bed before you do? That's genuinely one of the most stupid arguments for smoking I've ever heard. If you want to smoke, that's fine, it's your life, but don't make ridiculous claims like that. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xOHarriet)
    A pack of 20 usually lasts me a couple of months, so I don't worry about it too much. It's not an addiction for me, I never really get cravings, it's just nice sometimes with a few drinks/as a social thing.
    Yeah... That's exactly how I became addicted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yanis_AFC)
    Yeah... That's exactly how I became addicted.
    Yeah... After a year and a half I think I'm good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xOHarriet)
    Yeah... After a year and a half I think I'm good.
    :rolleyes: Do what you want.

Just saying because I wish I stopped when I had the chance to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    Shooting yourself is on your own terms, smoking isn't. Do you know when you're going to die? Do you know how many months you'll spend on a hospital bed before you do? That's genuinely one of the most stupid arguments for smoking I've ever heard. If you want to smoke, that's fine, it's your life, but don't make ridiculous claims like that. :rolleyes:
    Read my post again then reread and rethink you answer. I never said smoking is an essential means of suicide. Take a long hard think before you both replying to posts in future as currently you're making yourself look like a ****wit...

ReputationRep:
    Smoke all you want, as long as its not near me I don't mind. You pay enough tax to subsidise my healthcare and you probably won't draw down a state pension so you're good for the economy lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RichyFrench)
    2 years, 5 years, 10 years.. Whatever. Cancer kills, that's just how it is. If you wanna look big and brave because you're not scared of death then go ahead, smoke all you like and keep fooling yourself that you can die on your own terms when you play with fire. I'm not gonna argue with you.
    You quite clearly have no clue what you're talking about ... You have no idea what smoking does to the body, how lonng cancer takes or even what causes it do you? You also seem to be under some strange illusion that cancer is a death sentance... It may well be for some but there have been countless people who've recovered or outlived it. Want a list? Oh please don't be so melodramatic its a cigarette not the bloody atom bomb.

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HowardChloe)
    As an ex smoker it made me realise the damage but whether it's put me of completely is another question.

There's many things that cause cancer such as UV light, X-rays, phones. A few members of my family have died from cancer but not due to smoking. the 7year old caught cancer simply by falling over and damaging her knee.

It's a bad way to look at it but I think if I'm going to get cancer I will regardless if I'm a smoker or not

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is the dumbest thing I've ever read. And I am a regular on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    I don't smoke, but if i did, it wouldn't put me off. If you're doing something you enjoy, you don't stop because of what someone has said.

ReputationRep:
    Nom de dieu... Seriously? Take a long hard look at what you just wrote kid and think just how stupid you made yourself sound like seriously brain damaged stupid. 2 years? Paha I must be living on borrow time then lest I'm immortal? Get your facts straight before you dare to have the sheer impudence to try and lecture me again.
    Hi, I'm not going to bother reading your inevitable reply, but I'd just like to point out that you won't be dying on your "own terms" because cancer will determine how long you have left in life, and it will be less than that of a healthy non-smoker, and almost certainly less enjoyable with all the medication you're going to need to stretch out the years. By all means keep smoking and die quicker, but please don't talk bull**** lol. Cancer is going to be a nasty surprise for you I'm sure since you obviously think it's a walk in the park :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    Read my post again then reread and rethink you answer. I never said smoking is an essential means of suicide. Take a long hard think before you both replying to posts in future as currently you're making yourself look like a ****wit...
    I've read it again, what exactly am I supposed to be looking at? I'll even quote you:

besides if im going to die id rather rather it be on my own terms.
    Please tell me how smoking is "dying on your own terms", I'd love to hear it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yanis_AFC)
    Will the recent news that every 15 cigarettes causes a gene mutation make you quit?

It's certainly made me think a lot every time I light up.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...-mutation.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCgekCcd4ng
    But you were totally fine with the lung cancer and 20 year shortened life span?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobifier)
    But you were totally fine with the lung cancer and 20 year shortened life span?
    What a moronic question.

Of course not. That's why I'm trying to quit.

ReputationRep:
    amazing how tobbacco is legal and cannabis is not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haesights)
    Any cigarette can cause that fatal mutation.
    Why start at all?
    Why get out of bed? You might get killed on your way to work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by canyouhelpme)
    amazing how tobbacco is legal and cannabis is not
    Agreed :bong2:

ReputationRep:
    It has certainly given me a nudge towards quitting, as it stands i have promised myself to quit once i finish this pouch of tobacco ...but if i had a penny for every time i said that :rolleyes:

I think it might be effective to present statistics and real cases of young people who have suffered smoking related disease. Though i know i am just a susceptible to smoking related disease as an older person who has smoked longer i think some where in my mind i feel like i still have a decade or 2 to quit, that it won't really matter if i smoke, just one more day

stupid i know, but its strange how we rationalise things to fit our desires.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Izzyeviel)
    Why get out of bed? You might get killed on your way to work.
    Not a fair comparison.
    The benefits you gain outweigh the small probability you get killed.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 4, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.