Smokers: Will the recent news make you quit? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by canyouhelpme)
    amazing how tobbacco is legal and cannabis is not

Agreed x2:bong:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrjackherer)
    Agreed x2:bong:
    Debatable. My point is there is risk with everything, and if you've been fully informed of the risks and choose to carry on then that is down to the individual.

I recently quit smoking amongst ruining my life on other terms, I think the adverts can only get people thinking, they need to change on a psychological leek not even just oh I wantto be fit, that may work for some people but not everyone. Fitness has to be important to you for you to quit, you need something important to you. Me I have no dignity left I hate myself and don't want the burden of being a smoker to hang on my shoulders and so i determined to keep it up

ReputationRep:
    have read studies showing tobacco is harder to quit than heroine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    You quite clearly have no clue what you're talking about ... You have no idea what smoking does to the body, how lonng cancer takes or even what causes it do you? You also seem to be under some strange illusion that cancer is a death sentance... It may well be for some but there have been countless people who've recovered or outlived it. Want a list? Oh please don't be so melodramatic its a cigarette not the bloody atom bomb.
    Yes, some people beat cancer.. Great. And some people have success in prolonging their life a bit due to improvements in treatment, but generally your odds suck. Can you really say your quality of life wouldn't be dramatically lower if you had cancer? And yes, it's 1 cigarette.. And then it's 2, and 3, and so on. It's the accumulation of all those '1 cigarette''s that make it a problem.

(Original post by Discombobulate)
    Hi, I'm not going to bother reading your inevitable reply as you're clearly an imbecile, but I'd just like to point out that you won't be dying on your "own terms" because cancer will determine how long you have left in life, and it will be less than that of a healthy non-smoker, and almost certainly less enjoyable with all the medication you're going to need to stretch out the years. By all means keep smoking and die quicker, but please don't talk bull**** lol. Cancer is going to be a nasty surprise for you I'm sure since you obviously think it's a walk in the park :teehee:
    That's pretty much what I'm trying to get through to this guy but he's too busy with pathetic excuses for why smoking is ok. That's a sign of an addict.

(Original post by Izzyeviel)
    Why get out of bed? You might get killed on your way to work.
    That's up there with some of the worst justifications for smoking. Getting out of bed to go to work isn't a choice. You have to do that in order to live and pay the bills. Just like crossing the road, you could get killed but it's something you have to do to get where you're going. Smoking is a choice, it serves no purpose.

ReputationRep:
    My sister is a smoker, even though she shouldn't smoke as she has diabetes, but when she saw that commercial on a TV, she wasn't scared at all. What she told was: Stop producing cigarettes and people will stop smoking. I agree completely with her opinion because no commercial will stop smokers until everyone stops making any product that you can smoke.

ReputationRep:
    It's not exactly news that smoking is bad for you! Richard Doll famously published a research paper in 1950 that proved very convincingly that smoking was associated with a huge increase in the risk of lung cancer. This study is interesting, but if it's news to you that smoking is dangerous, you must be living in a time-warp.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Discombobulate)
    Hi, I'm not going to bother reading your inevitable reply as you're clearly an imbecile, but I'd just like to point out that you won't be dying on your "own terms" because cancer will determine how long you have left in life, and it will be less than that of a healthy non-smoker, and almost certainly less enjoyable with all the medication you're going to need to stretch out the years. By all means keep smoking and die quicker, but please don't talk bull**** lol. Cancer is going to be a nasty surprise for you I'm sure since you obviously think it's a walk in the park :teehee:
    You clearly have no idea what cancer is or what causes it do you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    I've read it again, what exactly am I supposed to be looking at? I'll even quote you:

Please tell me how smoking is "dying on your own terms", I'd love to hear it
    That youre going to die either way, id rather doit doing something i enjoy and besides incase it had escaped your notice smoking is not an automatic death sentance... another poster said that theres just as much chance of dying from being hit by a car and whilst the analogy is slightly flawed the point stands...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RichyFrench)
    Yes, some people beat cancer.. Great. And some people have success in prolonging their life a bit due to improvements in treatment, but generally your odds suck. Can you really say your quality of life wouldn't be dramatically lower if you had cancer? And yes, it's 1 cigarette.. And then it's 2, and 3, and so on. It's the accumulation of all those '1 cigarette''s that make it a problem.

That's pretty much what I'm trying to get through to this guy but he's too busy with pathetic excuses for why smoking is ok. That's a sign of an addict.

That's up there with some of the worst justifications for smoking. Getting out of bed to go to work isn't a choice. You have to do that in order to live and pay the bills. Just like crossing the road, you could get killed but it's something you have to do to get where you're going. Smoking is a choice, it serves no purpose.

i think youre grossly over stating the chance of contracting cancer from smoking... if anything you should be arguing the emphasema [sorry no idea how to spell it] angle...
    lets take my uncle [god rest his soul] never smoked a day in his life yet contracted brain cancer and passed on... my granny lived till 95 and smoked like a wee chimney for a large proportion of that. so do tell me what exactly youre trying to achieve with this false infomation youre spouting... as for a start smoking does not universally equal cancer and cancer certainly doesnt equal death. lets take some other substances that have been linked to cancer... red meat, certain food colourings, the numerous chemicals excreted in any form of smoke etc. should they be banned due to health concerns to? If youre looking to stop people from using/eating/drinking etc. anything that causes cancer good ****ing luck sunny jim, i remember reading an article in the either DM or DT which had a nice list of things that have been linked to cancer and well yeah they were all daily items used by ordinary people so will you please stop your fruitly little crusade against cigarettes as they quite nicely prop up your NHS after all. Plus no ones making you smoke are they?

Addict my arse, i smoke for pleasure nothing more nothing less

ReputationRep:

Addict my arse, i smoke for pleasure nothing more nothing less
    Bet you couldn't go a week without.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RichyFrench)
    Bet you couldn't go a week without.
    Kind of have to right now, $25 a pack on a backpackers budget doesnt work out to good...

ReputationRep:
    Kind of have to right now, $25 a pack on a backpackers budget doesnt work out to good...
    Good luck man, and stay safe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yanis_AFC)
    Will the recent news that every 15 cigarettes causes a gene mutation make you quit?

It's certainly made me think a lot every time I light up.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...-mutation.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCgekCcd4ng
    What will smokers do? Panic for twenty minutes, do some intense google research, have a life changing thought making them feel in control and have a fag in the morning cause all of that was just so darn stressful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xOHarriet)
    A pack of 20 usually lasts me a couple of months, so I don't worry about it too much. It's not an addiction for me, I never really get cravings, it's just nice sometimes with a few drinks/as a social thing.
    exactly how i'm livin it up...don't crave it but you know its nice to have it there for social occasions (plus i found a nice little brand which is about £3.50 for a 20 pack which comes in handy for nights out :rolleyes:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by civilstudent)
    Everything is bad for you these days, pollution, car fumes, chemicals in fabrics like curtains, wifi, mobile phones, memory foam matresses. You have to die of something. I obsess about my health but thats what i was told by some nurses.
    Why are memory foam mattresses bad for you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathperson)
    Why are memory foam mattresses bad for you?

the polyeutherane that the foam is made of can cause cancer/breathing problems apparantly. Not sure how reliable the evidence is its more of a suspected/speculation thing I just wonder about it as i was thinking of getting a foam matress.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Billa Bong)
    exactly how i'm livin it up...don't crave it but you know its nice to have it there for social occasions (plus i found a nice little brand which is about £3.50 for a 20 pack which comes in handy for nights out :rolleyes:)
    What brand is that. The cheapest I can find is £6.10 for 20 and thats for rothmans smooth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lbsf1)
    What brand is that. The cheapest I can find is £6.10 for 20 and thats for rothmans smooth.
    its called jin ling (dunno if you can get it everywhere though if you know what i mean :rolleyes:)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 4, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.