Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

People think I'm Posh & Rich, but I'm not.. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi,

I'm a 2nd-year at Birmingham University and basically my friends, girls and everyone who I meet think I'm rich and posh when I'm not. My circle of friends are quite affluent/middle-class and not to be big-headed or anything but the girls I've pulled in clubs or had a fling with have all been from top grammar or private schools. Whilst I attended a crappy state school where only 20% of pupils passed with 5A*-C GCSES inc Maths and English.

Though I do wear Jacks Wills and Abercrombie but that's only because I used to work for them stores hence free clothes/discount. I've kind of picked up my so called posh voice from work experience at a city law firm in the past and internships in private brokering..

I don't know what to do or how to explain it to them? I'm becoming confused if they only like me because they have the wrong stereotype of me?

Please help! Need some advice on what to do. My parents are quite poor, our annual household income is about £15k..
    Accent from work experience..seriously? lol

The girls you pulled may well be in the same situation for all you know, and trust that Jack Wills and Abercrombie by no means stereotype you as posh and rich

Just relax!!

ReputationRep:
    I don't fully understand the mindset between desperately wanting to be seen as the poor/working class kid.

No-one cares how much money you have. Honestly, people aren't thinking about this as much as you think they are. People don't think about their peers' financial backgrounds all that much (unless they're right at one of the extremes, I guess).

ReputationRep:
    Contrary to what's suggested, you should make sure that you always look pikey. People like to "mentor" them. Never ever go to a job interview wearing a Prada - only idiots and those who definitely get it would do. In one of the assessment centres, there was this kid from LSE who wore a gold suit (well the lining was). Make sure that you don't wear Abercrombie or JW. You want to wear Sports Direct. The key to success is to think smart and dress/appear poor/pitiful.

This alone tells you how privileged/ignorant people in Made in Chelsea can be (though that's fiction) when they have all the money in the world. The corporate Britain is really hard and there are so many douchebags.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clungemagnet)
    This alone tells you how privileged/ignorant people in Made in Chelsea can be (though that's fiction) when they have all the money in the world. The corporate Britain is really hard and there are so many douchebags.
    Does anyone still watch Made in Chelsea? I haven't seen it in ages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajp100688)
    Good lord if this is all you have to worry about, your life is good.
    This, really.

Does it actually matter, OP?

ReputationRep:
    Coming from a wealthy background, educated in Private Schools in Inner London, I have been called posh many a time, and I just accept it and move on, because I have admitted myself to be posh. It's not a bad thing at all, being posh is not a privilege nor a disadvantage to your social status. Do not feel pressured to change just by the way your peers see you. Continue to be yourself, some people just have posh personalities. Brought up in a privileged background or not.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 13, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.