The Student Room Group

Subjects which you were glad to drop

Scroll to see replies

GCSEs are so worthless when you get to college.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Before GCSE:
Drama- I love to act, but we didn't act. We just played games for three years.
DT- I always used to cut my finger in woodwork, and I hated my textiles teacher with a passion.
PE- everyone else had to do it through their GCSE years, but I got signed off at the beginning of Year 9 because of medical reasons. I hated PE anyway. I spent my PE lessons bored out of my skull for three months, then spent two years doing chemistry.

After GCSE:
ICT- so painfully boring, plus the teacher was absolutely dreadful!
English
Reply 22
Maths

Reply 23
LOL all the people in my friend group celebrated when we didn't have to do dance anymore.

Nerds don't dance. ;0

Posted from TSR Mobile
I hated art. It was one of those lessons that you have to be good at, or else it's utter torture. I just couldn't make anything look good, none of the techniques used by the class looked anything like what they should once I got my hands on them. So I was glad to give that up. My brother got an A* at GCSE and I've always been jealous of the fact that he's so good at it! I'd love to be creative in that respect.
Reply 25
I couldn't wait to drop the Sciences. I was flagging on my last legs with all the technical mumbo jumbo you learned in them by the time the last exams came around. Managed to scrape straight B's in the Sciences but god I was glad when I could focus on English :smile:
Reply 26
Chemistry! Took much of it.
Reply 27
I was so happy to drop PE - stupid dance lessons!
Wait dropping when starting GCSEs? Or finishing them?

I quite liked every lesson, but at GCSE now I dislike/hate (in terms of.content not class):
English literature
Biology
RE
Welsh
Art
Business Studies

Of all the lessons I do now in terms of.content all I like is maths;physics and chemistry... :lol: and geography and french... Which funnier enough are all my a level options!
I dropped art as I couldn't do it when I wasn't in the mood so it became impossible to continue it. And didnt really need it as it would have been my 14th GCSE.
HOWEVER, one subject I was glad never to do EVER again after GSCEs was Physics. I'm good in Maths but I absolutely DETESTED the Physics -_-
Reply 30
ICT, hands down ICT. Waste of my time, waste of my life.
I learnt nothing and it just stressed me out with the stupid amounts of coursework.
Reply 31
Design and Technology, I'm useless when it comes to it. On another note I really regret not studying Drama at GCSE, it was damn fun!
at my school we got 3 choices (one which had to be tech) and the compulsory subjects everything else was dropped

my choices:
music
art
woodwork - (ended up systems, asked if i could do geography instead but was told no)

compulsory:
double applied science
math
English lang + lit
R.E
I.C.T

dropped:
geography
history
P.E
food, woodwork, sewing

wish i had done geography and i sat biology GCSE after school
(edited 11 years ago)
Geography! Absolutely hated the subject.

Can't wait to drop French and Welsh though-French was the biggest mistake of my GCSE options and I had to take Welsh :angry:
Original post by manic_fuzz

Spanish because I absolutely hated the way that it was taught and the teacher, even though I actually really like languages.

I did Spanish for GCSE because at first I was really interested in learning the language, but then we got a teacher who didn't know anything about Spanish so she hardly ever taught us, all she did was tell us to draw posters/design menus with Spanish words on them. So I gave up because when I went to an AS Spanish taster session before I started college, everyone in the class was so good at it and I kept getting all the questions wrong. I'm amazed I even managed to pass that subject.
Economics - Hell. Why did I pick it? Because I'm a blithering idiot
Art - Stress. Some much work.
P.E - Didn't even do it as a GCSE :s-smilie: We were forced to do and we always did football. There are other sports, you know.
ICT - Waste of my time. Was forced to do it. They told us we wouldn't be able to get into college or university without it...Lies
(edited 11 years ago)
Drama. I don't mind the subject itself but the only drama teacher in my school is a complete ****. Also history, it was boring as hell.
Drama. I really didn't like this subject!
Original post by SamSnow009
Geography! Absolutely hated the subject.

Can't wait to drop French and Welsh though-French was the biggest mistake of my GCSE options and I had to take Welsh :angry:

What is it you dislike about French? I love that subject :smile:
I was lucky though with Welsh, we didn't have to take it, just had to do a two week course or something at the end of Year 11 to say we could speak "basic" Welsh.
Drama, music and art! I am the least creative person in the world! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest