Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has a list of possible 12 mark questions that might come up in the January 2013 PSYA1 paper and how I should lay my essays out?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    I've posted this in the main thread for the January exam, but just in case you don't look - these are all the 12 mark questions that have already come up. It's probably more beneficial to confirm what has come up, rather than debate what may come up, as I'm guessing whatever's not on this list is more likely to appear than what is.

January 09: Outline and evaluate one or more explanations of attachment
    June 09: Outline and evaluate research into the effects of anxiety on the accuracy of EWT
    January 10: Outline and evaluate research into privation
    June 10: Outline and evaluate research into institutionalisation
    January 11: Outline and evaluate the working memory model
    June 11: Outline and evaluate research into the effects of age on the accuracy of EWT
    January 12: Describe and evaluate the multi-store model of memory
    June 12: Outline and evaluate research into the effects of day care on social development

I lay my essays out as follows (I'll use the Working Memory Model as an example):
    - Introduction - Basic outline: Who proposed it? (Baddeley and Hitch, 1974) What are its basic details? (Non-unitary, immediate memory, short-term storage of information, active processing, different to MSM) and then a real-world application, for certain memory topics at least (it explains why you can do two things at once in working memory providing they are different tasks involving different aspects of the model - writing and listening to music, but can't do two of the same things at the same time)
    - Paragraph 1: A01 - Outline the Central Executive (resource allocation, small capacity) and the Phonological loop (encodes auditory information). Add as much detail as possible. Talk about subdivisions (Baddeley, 1986)
    - Paragraph 2: A01 - Outline the Episodic Buffer and the Visuo-Spatial sketchpad. Logie (1995) also proposed a subdivision.
    - Paragraph 3: A02 - Evaluate. Empirical evidence for existence of components; Bunge et al (2000), Baddeley (1975a), Baddeley (1975b), Baddeley (1987) etc.
    - Paragraph 4: A02 - Evaluate. Physiological evidence from brain damaged patients. Also say it has been beneficial in helping to diagnose Schizophrenia (Park et al, 1999). Also perhaps make a comparison with MSM
    - Paragraph 5: A02 - Evaluate. Notion of Central Executive is vague
    - Paragraph 6: A02 - Evaluate. Methodological limitations - evidence from brain-damaged patients doesn't allow before/after comparisons, for instance.

That's basically how I set most essays out, although there is always some deviation. Sometimes it's easier to just go A01 then A02 periodically throughout your essay. That way works just as well and is probably more sophisticated, but we've been told it's a bit more difficult for the examiner. The introduction will go to A01 for most essays you do. Most of the time, just make a point and give evidence from a case study. Our teacher has told us not to worry too much about structure for these Psychology essays - as long as you get the points down, you'll be given the corresponding marks. Just practice, practice, practice. I hope that helps a bit!

ReputationRep:
    anyone ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AWJC)
    I've posted this in the main thread for the January exam, but just in case you don't look - these are all the 12 mark questions that have already come up. It's probably more beneficial to confirm what has come up, rather than debate what may come up, as I'm guessing whatever's not on this list is more likely to appear than what is.

January 09: Outline and evaluate one or more explanations of attachment
    June 09: Outline and evaluate research into the effects of anxiety on the accuracy of EWT
    January 10: Outline and evaluate research into privation
    June 10: Outline and evaluate research into institutionalisation
    January 11: Outline and evaluate the working memory model
    June 11: Outline and evaluate research into the effects of age on the accuracy of EWT
    January 12: Describe and evaluate the multi-store model of memory
    June 12: Outline and evaluate research into the effects of day care on social development

I lay my essays out as follows (I'll use the Working Memory Model as an example):
    - Introduction - Basic outline: Who proposed it? (Baddeley and Hitch, 1974) What are its basic details? (Non-unitary, immediate memory, short-term storage of information, active processing, different to MSM) and then a real-world application, for certain memory topics at least (it explains why you can do two things at once in working memory providing they are different tasks involving different aspects of the model - writing and listening to music, but can't do two of the same things at the same time)
    - Paragraph 1: A01 - Outline the Central Executive (resource allocation, small capacity) and the Phonological loop (encodes auditory information). Add as much detail as possible. Talk about subdivisions (Baddeley, 1986)
    - Paragraph 2: A01 - Outline the Episodic Buffer and the Visuo-Spatial sketchpad. Logie (1995) also proposed a subdivision.
    - Paragraph 3: A02 - Evaluate. Empirical evidence for existence of components; Bunge et al (2000), Baddeley (1975a), Baddeley (1975b), Baddeley (1987) etc.
    - Paragraph 4: A02 - Evaluate. Physiological evidence from brain damaged patients. Also say it has been beneficial in helping to diagnose Schizophrenia (Park et al, 1999). Also perhaps make a comparison with MSM
    - Paragraph 5: A02 - Evaluate. Notion of Central Executive is vague
    - Paragraph 6: A02 - Evaluate. Methodological limitations - evidence from brain-damaged patients doesn't allow before/after comparisons, for instance.

That's basically how I set most essays out, although there is always some deviation. Sometimes it's easier to just go A01 then A02 periodically throughout your essay. That way works just as well and is probably more sophisticated, but we've been told it's a bit more difficult for the examiner. The introduction will go to A01 for most essays you do. Most of the time, just make a point and give evidence from a case study. Our teacher has told us not to worry too much about structure for these Psychology essays - as long as you get the points down, you'll be given the corresponding marks. Just practice, practice, practice. I hope that helps a bit!
    I'm so sorry, my app didn't show your reply for some reason Thank you SO much What you wrote was really useful! Are you sitting the exam as well? This is my second time so I want to get an A badly

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No worries at all, I'm glad I could help - but since you've taken the exam before, you're certainly more qualified to give advice than I am! Yes, I am, this will be my first time. Oh, I'm sure you'll get the A! How are you feeling for it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AWJC)
    No worries at all, I'm glad I could help - but since you've taken the exam before, you're certainly more qualified to give advice than I am! Yes, I am, this will be my first time. Oh, I'm sure you'll get the A! How are you feeling for it?
    Aww, good luck for it!! I sat the exam in January last year, studied 3 days before the exam and got two UMS off a B so I don't know if that's good or bad, haha. I definitely do NOT recommend cramming though - it will tire you out like crazy! Just keep revising and doing past papers and you should be fine I feel okay-ish, still need to revise a bit more and do some past paper questions. How about you? By the way, I don't know if you know this or not, but if you look at the questions carefully, you can often tell what the examiner wants.

For example,

What has research into .... told us about ....? means the examiner just wants the findings and nothing else. Anything you write will usually be irrelevant and thus you won't get any marks awarded for it and will just be wasting your time.

Another example from the Jan '11 paper: Describe how Ainsworth studied types of attachment.

Yes, that is indeed asking for just the method section of Ainsworth's study.

If you need anymore advice, let me know. I'll try my best to help How are you feeling for the exam? Only 9 days to go

Happy New Year btw

ReputationRep:
    Do you have the Jan + June 2009 PSYA1/ 2 paper thanks

ReputationRep:
    These are the newest 2 12-mark questions

January 13: Outline and evaluate research into the effects of failure to form attachment (privation)
    June 13: Outline and evaluate research into cultural variations in attachment

ReputationRep:
    hiya

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.