Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Year 12 at the moment and I'm thinking about applying to Oxford PPE. However, would it be OK to apply for PPE at some places and Politics and Economics at others? Or would this cause problems with writing a personal statements, or make Oxford less likely to accept me if they see that I am not 100% sold on Philosophy... any advice is much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I think a large proportion of Applicans do, as for advice go to the PPE thread

ReputationRep:
    I applied for history and politics at Oxford and York, politics and economics at Bath and politics at Leeds and Sussex and the only one I'm waiting for now is Oxford. My advice would be to base your personal statement around social sciences generally - talk about how they complement each other rather than each individual subject. But I managed it all right so I'm sure you'll be fine.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, and loads of people do it! As well as PPE elsewhere, I've applied for Government and Economics at LSE and was thinking a lot about them while writing my personal statement. It's just a matter of writing it a little more carefully - specific aspects of PPE you're interested in and finding the themes that link the three subjects - and not doing anything too obvious like mentioning your interest in 'the PPE course' or paragraphs on each of P, P and E in order.

Don't think too much about Oxford while writing your PS; they care far less about it than other universities and understand that people might have applied for other courses elsewhere. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I applied to PPE at Oxford and just Politics at my other 4 choices. It didn't really hurt my Personal Statement(I'm hoping), because I put a few sentences in there relating philosophy and economics to politics. The subjects really go hand in hand so you can mention all three without affecting your chances for a particular course. For example, you don't have to go off on a tangent talking about the meaning of life or the nature of being(to mention Philosophy), but rather you can briefly discuss the role ethics and reason play in the political and economic world. That way you're incorporating Philosophy into your statement without going off the topic of Politics and Economics. Also, I spoke to a PPE tutor at Magdalen College a few months ago who said that PPE students ultimately end of focusing 2 of the 3 subjects of their choice during the course, so Oxford probably won't mind if you emphasize politics and economics in your statement.

ReputationRep:
    I did the exact same thing, PPE at oxford and politics and econ elsewhere, just say "this course" instead of ppe or p&e, i mention political philosophy in mine to include a bit of philosophy but like someone said before they all really link so it's fine, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I applied for PPE at four places including Oxford and Pol & Phil at LSE. I tailored the PS for PPE and am just hoping LSE tutors are accommodating. Haven't heard from LSE yet so can't say how it worked out.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.