Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have my Citizenship exam on the 15th January, and I'm trying to revise for it, but I just find that I can't. I've been doing past papers, and I find I'm fine with the longer questions, but I get stuck on the statement questions on democracy etc..any tips?

ReputationRep:
    In general for a citizenship exam....Not sure what is best but this is what I did and I got an A* in Citizenship

1) I watched the news constantly- examiners loved those bits of info you could relate to the question and it also gives you a quick overview. Our teacher kept telling us to google what happened 6months before as this would be when examiners are getting inspiration to write the papers! Didn't work for us but it might do in the future.

2) Do some research on the government website for recent new statutes etc and also debates! If Mps are debating then you can have a view aswell! :-) and you can always use the Mp's views as starting points

3) common sense and daily things- if you do biology this should be extra simple. I remember with my citizenship paper last year I got asked something about reusing resources and ended writing an essay on the Tesco reusable bags!

4) Try and have as many viewpoints as possible - always a mark plus I found. Not sure what exam board you're on but if you get to pick an exam question choosing the most controversial normally gives lots of ideas. Just remember not to pin faults on particularly people which the examiner may find offensive.

Hope this helps!!

Lightbulb

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    And with those quote questions where they give you a little snippet of some news, I always found it easier of I highlighted key info? I was a panicked and could never fully understand stuff the first times on exams so I either skipped it and came back later or highlighted and that made me really focus and understand what they were saying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheLightBulb)
    In general for a citizenship exam....Not sure what is best but this is what I did and I got an A* in Citizenship

1) I watched the news constantly- examiners loved those bits of info you could relate to the question and it also gives you a quick overview. Our teacher kept telling us to google what happened 6months before as this would be when examiners are getting inspiration to write the papers! Didn't work for us but it might do in the future.

2) Do some research on the government website for recent new statutes etc and also debates! If Mps are debating then you can have a view aswell! :-) and you can always use the Mp's views as starting points

3) common sense and daily things- if you do biology this should be extra simple. I remember with my citizenship paper last year I got asked something about reusing resources and ended writing an essay on the Tesco reusable bags!

4) Try and have as many viewpoints as possible - always a mark plus I found. Not sure what exam board you're on but if you get to pick an exam question choosing the most controversial normally gives lots of ideas. Just remember not to pin faults on particularly people which the examiner may find offensive.

Hope this helps!!

Lightbulb

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you so much for the help! I do normally read/skim the newspaper, so I'll try and read a bit more..
    I'm on OCR, (not sure which one you did it with), but did you find it easier to ramble on in the longer questions, like the 12 mark question? Would I still get good marks on it?

Also, do you know a good way to get the facts into my mind about rights etc for the statement questions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talioe)
    Thank you so much for the help! I do normally read/skim the newspaper, so I'll try and read a bit more..
    I'm on OCR, (not sure which one you did it with), but did you find it easier to ramble on in the longer questions, like the 12 mark question? Would I still get good marks on it?

Also, do you know a good way to get the facts into my mind about rights etc for the statement questions?
    Haha that's ok
    I was on edexcel but I'm guessing they'll be similar parts. I defintely not rambled but spread out my ideas alot so one per paragraph then compare then different perspectives etc. really helps when yore stuck panicking in a me exam tbh. Look at past mark schemes if you include all the point asks then sure you'll get the marks. Most are like level5: compare evaluate discriminate factors etc

Sorry I was rubbish at those fact things. I ended up learning avoiding them and using news articles instead

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This applies primarily if you're doing Edexcel. I got an A* by literally knowing some of the vocabulary like what does allegiance, democracy etc means because they always come up and for the writing questions you can literally just make it up lol as long as it's logical. You'll be fine. just go in to the exam thinking you know everything about politics, and as long as you write with confidence it will seem legitimate.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.