Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I have been looking at topics for my interview and I have been looking at Syria, American gun laws and same sex marriage. I was wondering on those topics what sort of question could be asked?

Has anyone been through OASC and experienced the questioning from the boarding officers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi mudmover

The questions that the board will ask will be relevant to the topics, they do not have a set question to ask.

If you were to mention the ongoing conflict in Syria. They could ask anything from "What has Nato's involvement in this conflict has been?" to "How long has this conflict been going on?"

Whereas if you were to mention the shootings in America and the push by various elements for stricter gun laws. They could ask anything from "What is Barack Obama's view on Gun Laws?" to "Who is fighting to keep the gun laws the way they are?"

This is only a 3-5 minute section of Part 2 of your Interview at OASC. Just ensure you have a decent level of knowledge in various topics both global and at home, having something to talk about and showing you are aware of current affairs is important.

Do you have a date for OASC?

ReputationRep:
      They will ask you to mention a few things going on in the world at the moment. You will then list a few things, just like you have there. They will then pick one and probe you on it, asking a few more questions. As far as I know they're not going to ask you any questions on topics you haven't mentioned, so make sure everything you list you have some more information on and most importantly, an opinion.

ReputationRep:
      Is 3 topics enough or should I have more??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      5 UK, 5 rest of world.

You must have an opinion - cant stress this enough. Also, they may try and change your opinion. If you hold a balanced view but still believe you are right then stick with it.

ReputationRep:
      Ok so it's not going to be massively in-depth questions then? I have received a example of the planning exercise from cranwell in my pack and the example is called the busmans holiday how similar is that to the one you do at OASC?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      The best figure for current affairs is 3 or 4 UK and 3 or 4 rest of the world. Anymore and you'll struggle, plus you need to know these stories and be able to discuss them and have an opinion, not just regurgitate what you've read without properly understanding it.

The best advice I can give you is that you need to pick news stories that interest you or catch your eye which I found helped me understand and revise the subject better and when it came to discussing it I found my tone of voice and confidence were heightened and it was much easier.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
      They will ask you to to talk about some current events, and then they will probe further into your knowledge. If you read a newspaper this will make this fairly easy, just make sure to read from multiple sources and multiple views so you can get a broader picture and make an informed opinion to the officers.

ReputationRep:
      Thanks for the advice,

Will the numbers around the planning exs be base 60 what is used in flying for example

So say you had to do 7 miles at 40mph to point A and then a further 11 miles at 30mph to point B

Or will they be more complex such as 68 miles at 79 mph to point A and then 147 mile at 92 mph to point B

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by mudmover)
      Thanks for the advice,

Will the numbers around the planning exs be base 60 what is used in flying for example

So say you had to do 7 miles at 40mph to point A and then a further 11 miles at 30mph to point B

Or will they be more complex such as 68 miles at 79 mph to point A and then 147 mile at 92 mph to point B

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
      There's another post about planning ex's already in play so you may have meant to post in there but I'll answer your q.

If they do provide you with a time chart (which you have no guarantee of them doing) it will be relevant to the possible scenarios. Mine had only the relevant ones I would need but some included simple adding e.g. calculating 21 miles it had the time for 20 and the time for 1 etc.

Hope that makes sense.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
      Yeah that's great thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 7, 2013
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.