Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loknath)
    I haven't started revising yet but chemistry is the biggest problem
    Any help? Tips! Wahhhh
    work out a system go back through my posts and take a look at what i have done.
    the whole day is planned like this:
    30 mins of work, 10 min break, 30 min work, 20 min break, 30 min work, 1 hour break, 30 min work, 10 min break, 30 min work, 10 min break, 30 min work, 20 min break, 30 min work, 10 min break, 30 min work

each break have a drink of water or other liquid, in the hour break eat a meal (sandwich for example i had left over curry earlier because i am fat XD) - also with each break leave the room you were revising in and do something else that is very important

day 1 i went over all my past papers i had done in school and checked them over for any gaps in my knowledge (there was quite a bit) and i found the definitions and model answer and put it on a flash card, next day i did a whole book of exam papers (4-7 papers worth of questions) and found my gaps. Third day (today) i am putting in my gaps today into flash cards as well to look back at when i get stuck

I am doing this for every topic so i have to do a day of chemistry questions tomorrow and answers the day after - i don't necessarily like the how long it is but it has already helped me quite a bit

but yeah that is my scheme at the moment - if you just want to do a past paper - alot the time set and add the breaks together and have the large break after the paper is finished

ReputationRep:
    5 exams. 4 Maths and 1 for Physics. No resits.

Also this talk about resits being made harder is nonsense, they can't make one harder as not everyone doing January exams is resitting. Grade boundaries are made after exams are sat and the results are in - it is based on student performance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LewisMead)
    5 exams. 4 Maths and 1 for Physics. No resits.

Also this talk about resits being made harder is nonsense, they can't make one harder as not everyone doing January exams is resitting. Grade boundaries are made after exams are sat and the results are in - it is based on student performance.

only people resitting have the grades boundaries made higher it is made so people put more effort into the first exam which they have more chance of achieving a higher grade -thats all

grade boundaries are set before the exams are sat - you cant make grade boundaries up after you tally up everyones marks that would be such a stupid system no offence thats just what i took from that post

ReputationRep:
    Truth.

ReputationRep:
    No motivation!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xenome)
    only people resitting have the grades boundaries made higher it is made so people put more effort into the first exam which they have more chance of achieving a higher grade -thats all

grade boundaries are set before the exams are sat - you cant make grade boundaries up after you tally up everyones marks that would be such a stupid system no offence thats just what i took from that post
    So if everyone sits a paper and nobody gets more than 50/75 they would still say that was worth a B? If a paper is easy based on marks then boundaries will be higher.

And no, they don't up the boundaries for those resitting. That's ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    I will start today!
    I have three exams, hopefully I'll do well enough in them. I just can't find any motivation, not even when thinking about my future or university.

ReputationRep:

Grade boundaries are definately not set before people sit the exam. This is why you cannot see the grade boundaries on the AQA website for the January 2013 AS exams, for example, until after the results are released. You can go on there now and find the grade boundaries for past exams, but NOT for the January exams coming up. The grades people get are always scaled - this is the whole point of UMS!! The UMS system was created so that if one exam paper was slightly harder or easier than another, this was taken into consideration and the grades made equal. They only know if one paper was harder than another if, overall, people did much better or worse on it in comparison to other papers. For example, if everyone sitting history AS unit 1 this January coming got grades between 0 and 40%, this would not mean that no A, B or C grades would be awarded. The people getting 40% would get an A. I assure you, the marks are always scaled and the grade boundaries are always and olny finally set after the exam has been sat and the results are in.

ReputationRep:
    So if everyone sits a paper and nobody gets more than 50/75 they would still say that was worth a B? If a paper is easy based on marks then boundaries will be higher.

And no, they don't up the boundaries for those resitting. That's ridiculous.
    no the exam would change the following year - the grade boundary would be lowered

but you are implying that if there is a hard exam the resit should be easier - the examining body doesn't work like that the exam boundary's raise and lower every year but not according to resits.
    That is my point

ReputationRep:
    I really don't like arguing you can choose who to believe but on the basis that both physics classes in my college got less than 50% and only 3 people got E's and 23 people got U's - that is my only reasoning to doubt your answer revise*more*now

ReputationRep:
    3 exams prepared and feeling good about my two A2 exams but have a funny feeling about my AS resit. Gonna try and focus my attention on the resit really need an A in it. Need an A in all my exams tbh sigh..

ReputationRep:
    One economics exam- Markets in Action. I think it's going alright, I just keep losing marks on really stupid little things -__-

ReputationRep:
    I really don't like arguing you can choose who to believe but on the basis that both physics classes in my college got less than 50% and only 3 people got E's and 23 people got U's - that is my only reasoning to doubt your answer revise*more*now
    That might have just been because the people at your college for whatever reason actually got lower percentages than other candidates from different colleges who achieved higher percentages and thus got As and Bs. If you read the info on UMS and the point of UMS on the AQA website, it will back up what I have said. Promise

ReputationRep:
    no the exam would change the following year - the grade boundary would be lowered

but you are implying that if there is a hard exam the resit should be easier - the examining body doesn't work like that the exam boundary's raise and lower every year but not according to resits.
    That is my point
    You seemed to have read my response, ignored the message and created your own to argue against.

My point was grade boundaries are set after the results are in and those who resit do not have different boundaries.

It is done on a nationwide scale, not college by college...

ReputationRep:
    You seemed to have read my response, ignored the message and created your own to argue against.

My point was grade boundaries are set after the results are in and those who resit do not have different boundaries.

It is done on a nationwide scale, not college by college...

no i read your message - wrong
    i realized after i posted - then i posted no more arguing ;_; plox

ReputationRep:
    Terrible. I've got 6 exams and I'm sitting C2 as a private candidate and I've still not finished learning all the content. Almost finished though.

A$AP is helping me get through.

ReputationRep:
    Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Critical Thinking. Nearly finished on Bio, havent started Chem, need to work on Maths and gunna cram for Critical Thinking, so overall: revision (which I apparently meant to have started a month ago, but started last week) is going preettyy baad

ReputationRep:
    Ahh this thread is making me motivated- I haven't started revising at all yet I feel terrible! Tbf it's a History resit from last year and its source based so I feel like it won't take toooo long to remind myself of what I'm doing Still I'm terrified as I've got a uni offer from my top choice and need 3 A's...I feel like getting an A in History is literally impossible for me Like my imagination can't even conjure a picture up of me going to collect my A in History :/

ReputationRep:
    if you are lacking motivation...think of spring results day, looking at the sheet with your module results..imagine the grades you want! You are all still in a position to change the grades on that sheet to what you want, the future is unwritten! Now get revising

ReputationRep:
    I have Computing, Physics and Further Maths exams. I learned all of the content properly when we learned it in class, so I haven't got that much to revise; I'm fine with the maths, there are just a couple of details in computing that I need to remember (I'm hopeless at remembering details), and physics is generally fine too.

Two weeks until the exams; I feel fairly confident. Aiming for As, I hope I get them.

My revision structure is fairly simple - 1.5 hours of work, then 0.5 hours break, and keep flipping between the two until all the work is done. Plus, a one hour lunch break.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.