Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Just come across this thread.
    I have recently placed Twickenham as my firm choice to study primary education and applied for accommodation. x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophier1993)
    Hi there, the year itself for us ran from the 17th of September, and finished last week, with three weeks off at Christmas and three weeks off at Easter. Primary Edders at St Mary's also get the bonus of having half term off too. This year, we were following a slightly different course outline to what previous Primary Ed students at St Mary's had received. This was to make sure all of the course met the new Teaching Standards requirements and what is expected of teachers within the new curriculum.
    The lectures for us were timetabled in two hour slots, either 9-11, 11-1, 2-4, and occasionally 4-6. But to be honest with you, I never had a 4-6 lecture in my entire first year. Some lectures won't take two hours, generally an hour and a half. But some, in particular the core subjects, you will be there for two hours solid.
    Our timetable is very different to those studying other courses at St Mary's. It runs on a numbered week basis, so for example, you may only have Art on weeks 10 to 15, and Geography weeks 20 to 25. The timetable will differ week by week. Some weeks you may have a lot more lectures than everyone else, but for a few weeks, I only had three lectures a week. Some weeks you may be in everyday, others only a couple of days.
    Our school experience placement took place for 2 days a week for three weeks starting at the end of October, and then a block placement of four weeks that took us up to Christmas. You start off by first observing the classroom and familiarising yourself with the school, then you move on to teaching small groups, then you build on to teaching the whole class. By the time I was teaching whole class, I felt ready, and you will have support from you Class Teacher Mentor with planning and stuff. The most important thing about first year placement is that it is for you as a teacher to gain experience of school life. It is assessed, but the grades from first year will not impact on your degree at all. It's just for you to see what your strengths and weaknesses are. When assessed, it is against the 8 Teaching Standards. Because you are teaching in the run up to Christmas, a lot of it is Christmas related, and it is a lovely time to be in school.
    Assignment-wise, we had a small essay set when we arrived, for our Academic Tutors to see how we write academically. Then we had one assignment each for Maths, English and Science, one Expressive Arts assignment for Art, Music and Drama. One 'innovation' assignment for D and T, Geography and ICT. And another assignment for History, RE and ICT. Subjects like PE and MFL were marked through a file that contained material from the lectures, directed tasks etc. English, Maths and the Expressive Arts also required a resource file to be compiled to pass those modules. These again contained lecture notes, articles of interest, lesson plans from placement, directed tasks, etc. The Professional Studies assignment was a group presentation.
    My only real negative this year was the time it took to receive some essays back. They should be given back to us before the next one is due in, so we could work on any criticism. This wasn't always the case for us, however as we were on a newly structured course, any teething problems we had, should be altered for the intake in September.
    I hope that was helpful and answered all of your questions, if you need anything else just ask
    Hello,
    Thank you so much for taking the time to write out all of this - its been really helpful. I hope you have enjoyed your first year, good luck with your second!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.