Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Incorrect.)
    Edit: Regarding the Micky Mouse course 'Money, Banking and Finance'; was Economics too competitive for you? Aww.
    Do you have to be so arrogant and hostile?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by member591354)
    Do you have to be so arrogant and hostile?
    Arrogant and hostile about getting a proper job and doing a good degree. Its not something people should be arrogant about, everyone should be in that same position

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by radiopred)
    Arrogant and hostile about getting a proper job and doing a good degree. Its not something people should be arrogant about, everyone should be in that same position

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why are you defending him? Fine, maybe he will get a 'proper' job, but is there any need to mock others? This trashy elitist spiel about 'mickey mouse degrees' is abhorrent and dull.

ReputationRep:
    Mandarin. Expect your writing to get laughed at for quite some time for looking like a nursery school kids attempt though (and that might just do some good for your humility...)

ReputationRep:
    posh british accent

ReputationRep:
    People saying Mandarin have no idea how difficult it is..link below explains it in more detail.

http://www.quora.com/Life-Advice/Wha...in-20-30-years

The majority of people in China speak English to a fairly intermediate/advanced level anyway. My two pence for best languages, from a career perspective, would be French/German/Spanish.

However, I wouldn't recommend learning a new language just for the sake of achieving better career benefits. When applying for jobs which require two languages, you'll be expected to be able to speak/write in that language to an advanced level (this will take many years to master). At investment banks, they have hundreds of international applicants and many of those will have be multi-lingual as a result of having moved around Europe e.t.c. I have spoken to a few of them at IB insight days and the general consensus is what I've outlined above - banks will always prefer native speakers to those who have perhaps learnt it as a result of living abroad for a few years. English speakers who learn the language over here have no chance (speaking from a recruitment point of view)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Part A)
    People saying Mandarin have no idea how difficult it is..link below explains it in more detail.

http://www.quora.com/Life-Advice/Wha...in-20-30-years

The majority of people in China speak English to a fairly intermediate/advanced level anyway. My two pence for best languages, from a career perspective, would be French/German/Spanish.

However, I wouldn't recommend learning a new language just for the sake of achieving better career benefits. When applying for jobs which require two languages, you'll be expected to be able to speak/write in that language to an advanced level (this will take many years to master). At investment banks, they have hundreds of international applicants and many of those will have be multi-lingual as a result of having moved around Europe e.t.c. I have spoken to a few of them at IB insight days and the general consensus is what I've outlined above - banks will always prefer native speakers to those who have perhaps learnt it as a result of living abroad for a few years. English speakers who learn the language over here have no chance (speaking from a recruitment point of view)
    English and Japanese are harder than Mandarin. Yes it is harder which it pays a million times more than graduates with other languages because of the short supply.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Purely in terms of career prospects (particularly investment banks), which languages are seen as most preferable by employers (if at all they differentiate)?
    C++

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Londonburger)
    C++

Posted from TSR Mobile
    OOP is lame IMO its all about old school C. And java's satanic

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Please keep this thread on topic.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by member591354)
    Why are you defending him? Fine, maybe he will get a 'proper' job, but is there any need to mock others? This trashy elitist spiel about 'mickey mouse degrees' is abhorrent and dull.
    I agree with this. It's as much about your ATTITUDE to work as it is about your academics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    Please keep this thread on topic.
    I can't be bothered to dispute it but why on earth was I 'warned' for this thread for personal attacks.

I was addressing a course, not a person. There are no rules against giving my honest views on an university course.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    I can't be bothered to dispute it but why on earth was I 'warned' for this thread for personal attacks.

I was addressing a course, not a person. There are no rules against giving my honest views on an university course.
    If you have a query about your warning, please feel free to post in the Ask A Moderator forum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Part A)
    The majority of people in China speak English to a fairly intermediate/advanced level anyway.
    They really, really don't. It's quite evident you've either not been to China or visited the ultra touristic centres.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chaoshi)
    They really, really don't. It's quite evident you've either not been to China or visited the ultra touristic centres.
    Maybe not everyone but a lot of the educated Chinese parents put their children through English tutoring and lessons. It is, after all, the language of business.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by josh_v)
    English
    I was going to write that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by radiopred)
    Russian and Chinese and Arabic.

Do one of those an investment bank or firm will employ you straight away. Ive spoken to ceos etc they all say they pay £35k+ for guys who speak fluent english and do these languages and if they get a 2-1

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Really? How come you came to talk to them?

ReputationRep:
    Academics in sig. Will either be going to UCL or Cambridge (not going to choose LSE) to study straight economics.

You're second point is important and I'd overlooked that actually, thank you. In terms of achieving absolute fluency French will definitely be my best bet.
    May I ask why not LSE?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
    May I ask why not LSE?
    Lse is the most academic for straight economics, all the lectures and work set is also based on getting a good career aswell. This is the reason why lse overtakes oxford some years for economics and i highly recommend it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Aside from English, which is pretty much useful anywhere civilized, I would say Spanish is the most useful to have. As someone said before South America is on the rise and Spaniards aren't so bad for a night out. Though the generic answer is 'learn Mandarin the Chinese are taking over the world' blah blah blah, but that takes too much time and all the important Chinese learn English anyways. So why bother with a second language?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.