Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    ok.... so this is how Maths & Further Maths is done at my sixth form :
    in year 12 we do our a level maths (c1-4, s1 & m1) then in year 13 we do a level further maths (FP1-3, s2 m2 & m3) and the year 13 ppl are finding further maths really hard...
    is it hard or is it just them?? im in year 12 and im finding maths alright.... (a* gcse maths)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I personally find the FP modules a lot harder. To get an A* it is much harder, To get an A is quite hard. I did not work at all for GCSE and got an A*, but I found the step up to Maths hard, but we studied Further maths from term 1 of 6 and that was a total shock.

If you're a workaholic it won't be a problem, but otherwise you will really have to work for anything above a C.

ReputationRep:
    An A* in GCSE maths is a great sign that you'll do well.

To be honest though, I like to think that anyone can get a decent mark in ANY A level, regardless of their strengths, provided they're willing to make an honest effort.

ReputationRep:
    Speaking as someone who did FM last year, I must say it wasn't the actual sylabbus, but the speed I found difficult. 2 maths lessons a day is very intense. Although M1 was a *****.

ReputationRep:
    FM is fine except for FP2, D2, or FP3. Speaking from experience here: I got above 90 in 9/12 modules, and b c d in those three . I'm not even a mathematician, but I got a solid A in both maths and further maths from real hard work. Anyone can do it - it is just very hard and requires a LOT of motivation!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's hard, but definitely manageable if you're willing to put the work in - if you enjoy maths, I'd say go for it! I find some modules easier than others - mechanics is my weakest module but after putting in some extra effort to understand the bits I was stuck on, I'm now doing fine with FM, practice really does make perfect!

ReputationRep:
    too easy in my opinion :confused: just the same, mechanical, exercise type questions, no problem solving in it whatsoever

for a post-16 course that's aimed at the "top mathematicians in the country" it's really not that hard :confused:

getting an A was too easy, even the A* wasn't too much a push :confused:

(Original post by ClarissaDalloway)
    Speaking as someone who did FM last year, I must say it wasn't the actual sylabbus, but the speed I found difficult. 2 maths lessons a day is very intense. Although M1 was a *****.
    Try 7 maths lessons a day: double DE, triple fp2, double m3 :smug:

ReputationRep:
    I think most will agree Fp2 and Fp3 are pretty horrendous. But they help your core maths c3 and c4 so it will help maths a* chances

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.