Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why PC Gaming Ruled in 2012 Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    http://www.ebuyer.com/392377-coolerm...e-rc-120a-kkn1
    Oh, but a PC can be the same size now.
    Just grab your mouse, keyboard (or even just a pad) and a hdmi cable and you're good to go on someones tv
    But that would mean I'd have to fit the components into the case, whereas I already have a ready built tower. I don't feel confident to mess too much with it, other than replacing certain components occasionally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James A)
    Only problem is price for a good PC rig.

350 will get you a good entry level pc, but other people like console's because everyone has the same hardware.

I don't class it as fair when an online opponent on a shooting game is running the game (e.g. counter strike global offensive) in 1080p , getting 60fps or some ridiculous frame rate and the other guy is running the game on a 720p display getting 30fps. Surely the guy with the better pc has an advantage in game?
    I see what youre getting at.

But bad example you could run that game on a potato and still get a suitable frame rate.

Its the source engine. I used to play css 800x600 with a single core and a 5200. frame rate capped at 101fps. Put it this way im banned from ED, be mixes and ESL for apparently hacking. I took great delight walking off stage at LAN past the ED admins having watched me nail voo to the walls after they decided to stage a public vs pro event.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Sam Walters)
    I see what youre getting at.

But bad example you could run that game on a potato and still get a suitable frame rate.

Its the source engine. I used to play css 800x600 with a single core and a 5200. frame rate capped at 101fps. Put it this way im banned from ED, be mixes and ESL for apparently hacking. I took great delight walking off stage at LAN past the ED admins having watched me nail voo to the walls after they decided to stage a public vs pro event.
    Oh nice, what game do you mean by ED? I'm having an awkward moment now.

What pc specs you got now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James A)
    Oh nice, what game do you mean by ED? I'm having an awkward moment now.

What pc specs you got now?
    Its a league. You get 5 players together and form a team, you then play against other teams. Either in a ladder type system the same as football leagues or tournament style
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Sam Walters)
    Its a league. You get 5 players together and form a team, you then play against other teams. Either in a ladder type system the same as football leagues or tournament style
    Cool, cool, I'm not sure if you heard of a worldwide gaming series called 'championship gaming series' ?

It started in 2007 and they stopped it at the end of 2008 due to financial reasons.

They had teams from different cities around the world that competed against each other.

There were four different games, forza motorsport 2, css, dead or alive 4, fifa 08.

i loved watching CGS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    For me the big story of the 2012 was the rise of e-sports and league of legends. This year LoL became the most popular game in the world with 3million players online at a single time. By comparison the latest CoD has about 1.4million. LoL has 32million active players a month and Xbox Live has 40million subscribers across all games. We are now seeing over a hundred thousand people watching LoL streams at any one time, $2million prize money for a single tournament and live finals in a stadium with 8,000 people.

I used to play in clans on games like counter-strike and Quake and, although there were some decent tournaments and a lot number of people doing it, it was always a minority activity and nothing like the explosion of competitive gaming we saw from LoL and Starcraft 2 in 2012. I honestly don't think the hardware point matters, lots of people are using PCs a number of years old and I don't think many people actually care that their PC has slightly better/worse graphics than the latest consoles.

Consoles simply don't have the same multiplayer capability as PCs and I don't think they ever will. For this reason I think PC gaming is here to stay and it will get more popular. However, that popularity will be concentrated around a small number of games - probably just League of Legends, Starcraft 2, Dota 2 and World of Warcraft. When people stick to the same games for a few years each it doesn't encourage developers to take risks on releasing lots of new games.
    Personally I think Quake 5 will take the FPS scene by storm, it'll be a while, but all the pros will come back and it will explode as an e-sport, I hope!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple)
    Personally I think Quake 5 will take the FPS scene by storm, it'll be a while, but all the pros will come back and it will explode as an e-sport, I hope!
    Why?
    Do you not remember how badly they ****ed up with Rage? Very few devs got through this generation without blowing apart their creditability.

Why?
    Do you not remember how badly they ****ed up with Rage? Very few devs got through this generation without blowing apart their creditability.

True, wtf happened?? Devs who I had previously thought infallible, like Square-Enix and ... *sob* ... BioWare ... have come out with some absolute ****!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhumbauze)
    True, wtf happened?? Devs who I had previously thought infallible, like Square-Enix and ... *sob* ... BioWare ... have come out with some absolute ****!
    To be honest, I'm not quite sure.
    Either they pandered to producers and cut quality in order to port to the platforms eg. Rage, but as far as Bioware and Co, I've no idea Maybe they got lucky with their first game and don't realise why it is popular, or maybe they lost key people in their studio? The best examples are Red Faction and Supreme Commander. Both sequels had all of the great features from the previous games....removed :facepalm: Thus it was no surprise that both sequels failed spectacularly.

ReputationRep:
    Why?
    They focused on the wrong aspect for Rage though, Carmack has has a vision for the next Quake, and it will be an enhanced version of Q3 I hope. Also I'm hoping more that they would focus on multiplayer, Rage was decent (I don't think it was bad) as apposed to an RPG FPS.

But I really do hope 2GDs Reborn, takes the e-sports scene by storm, he knows what the hardcore fans want in a twitch FPS and knows how to get it mainstream too.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I'm not quite sure.
    Either they pandered to producers and cut quality in order to port to the platforms eg. Rage, but as far as Bioware and Co, I've no idea Maybe they got lucky with their first game and don't realise why it is popular, or maybe they lost key people in their studio? The best examples are Red Faction and Supreme Commander. Both sequels had all of the great features from the previous games....removed :facepalm: Thus it was no surprise that both sequels failed spectacularly.
    Exactly right, it was all to accomodate bloody consoles. They even said it themselves!

ReputationRep:
    PC gaming > Console gaming. For now at least.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.