Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why relationships are more likely to fail than they are to succeed Watch

ReputationRep:
    Throughout your dating years, you're likely to meet your other half during your university years. Lets call the place where you move to for university, city X. You will encounter and befriend a limited number of people within city X that will obviously be a number less than the population of the city. The number of people you know can all be listed within the confines of a sheet of paper. These people include your friends, classmates, clubbers and professors. Out of this list will be a number of people who can all be listed within the confine of a post-it note who will be boyfriend/girlfriend material. Call these suitors, a subset of city X {x1,x2,x3,x4...) and out of this subset will be the minority who you develop feelings for, that's a subset in itself. What's happened here is through the process of selection, you've limited yourself to the extent that you're more likely to end up with someone who you'll realise over time that he/she is not the right one for you. Not to mention this subset is invariable because people change.

Now think about this, hypothetically, if you were to be living in city Y instead where you encounter your friends, classmates, clubbers and professors.within which you encounter the subset {y1,y2,y3,y4...) who are your boyfriend/girlfriend material than your life can turn out completely different than to the previous scenerio.

The moral of the story is give people a chance, stop looking for Mr Right or Ms Right and stop striving to achieving perfection within your dating life because there's no such thing.

Q.E.D

ReputationRep:
    Most people date more than one person in their life, and many of them won't stay with their first partner forever, so obviously relationships are more likely to 'fail' than 'succeed'. I take it by 'fail' you mean end. I personally don't think a relationship that ends is a failed relationship. You can learn a lot from all your relationships, both past and present.

But congratulations on stating the obvious.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really see your point at all ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linnerzx)
    Most people date more than one person in their life, and many of them won't stay with their first partner forever, so obviously relationships are more likely to 'fail' than 'succeed'. I take it by 'fail' you mean end. I personally don't think a relationship that ends is a failed relationship. You can learn a lot from all your relationships, both past and present.

But congratulations on stating the obvious.
    Thanks for agreeing with me!! I wanted to find something that people agree with me on as I kept getting negative repped all the time.

ReputationRep:
    No offence but that was the most boring relationship advice ever.

ReputationRep:
    Seems legit. :beard:
    But yeah I'm sure most people figured this out. True love can't exist.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.