The Student Room Group

Best Advanced Higher Results

post the best advanced higher exam results you've heard of, in terms of percentages.
I've heard of 100% in maths.
Any straight 100%'s?
Reply 1
Cool, impressive. Did he sit his exams years ago or does he just look older? Or was he a mature student? Are there any similar articles from previous years, I can't check on my phone?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by I am Ace
Cool, impressive. Did he sit his exams years ago or does he just look older? Or was he a mature student? Are there any similar articles from previous years, I can't check on my phone?

Posted from TSR Mobile

"Richard Bush representing James Matthew"

:tongue:
Reply 3
Original post by mimx
"Richard Bush representing James Matthew"

:tongue:

haha skim-read, was looking for mostly exam results.
So 99.46% average, damn!
Anyone know what subjects he took?
Obviously 100% in double maths.
Reply 4
Anyone know what subjects he took?

Those plus at least Physics. If you wanted to know about the best results in the history of a certain exam series then I suppose you could FOI the SQA with a well constructed query, though they won't tell you who achieved them.

You'd have to specify your metrics too - is getting 100% in three AH subjects better than getting six A band 1 results? I recall someone having done the latter (or maybe it was just six As?) at a previous SQA Star Awards ceremony.

Speaking of which this was a pretty amusing blurb from last years:

The breadth of his academic interests is astounding and he could have pursued any subject to the highest level. He is a brilliant mathematician, scientist and linguist. At the same time he is very modest, without any hint of arrogance. Everyone likes Gavin and understandably so because he is friendly, helpful, kind, calm and funny. Not only is he a great student, he is a great person as well.

... don't forget the saving kittens from burning buildings. :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by mimx
Those plus at least Physics. If you wanted to know about the best results in the history of a certain exam series then I suppose you could FOI the SQA with a well constructed query, though they won't tell you who achieved them.

You'd have to specify your metrics too - is getting 100% in three AH subjects better than getting six A band 1 results? I recall someone having done the latter (or maybe it was just six As?) at a previous SQA Star Awards ceremony.

Speaking of which this was a pretty amusing blurb from last years:

... don't forget the saving kittens from burning buildings. :tongue:

I read of someone getting 6 A1's at higher - which isn't, like mind-blowingly impressive - but 99% average across >=3 AH's is impressive.
What's and FOI?
Reply 6
I read of someone getting 6 A1's at higher - which isn't, like mind-blowingly impressive - but 99% average across >=3 AH's is impressive.
What's and FOI?

Freedom of Information request. You can ask for information from public bodies and they'll give it to unless they have a good reason not to.

I've made a public one for you here:

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/highest_average_percentage_marks/new

You don't need to do anything, just wait for them to reply. Or I'll get an email when they do and update this thread.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by mimx
Freedom of Information request. You can ask for information from public bodies and they'll give it to unless they have a good reason not to.

I've made a public one for you here:

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/highest_average_percentage_marks/new

I have no idea what I've to do with that, but thanks!
I'll hope you'll somehow keep me updated with any posts on that :P
Reply 8
Original post by nerd434
There was a student in 2007 who achieved seven A1's in one-sitting, which is pretty impressive. They did a interview sort-of-thing with him:

"Asked if he recognises the judges' description of him as a "self-effacing young man who quietly gets on with the job", Pierrick hesitates before replying that he would probably choose different words "hard-working, focused, determined to achieve my objectives".

Last year, those objectives included doing well in his exams which he certainly achieved with a little to spare, gaining seven A grade passes at Band 1 while still just 16.

Qualifications such as these open many doors, and university options that Pierrick considered before settling on his final choice of engineering, included economics and medicine. "I did work experience in a hospital last year and decided it wasn't my thing. I think you need to have a passion for medicine. My strength is probably maths, and from engineering there are so many things you can go into."

Being used to the rewards that come from hard work and organisation and clearly also ability Pierrick admits that he does wonder sometimes how he would handle a setback. "You don't really know. But I hope I'd cope well, look at all the issues and try to resolve them."

Beyond his studies, Pierrick plays guitar, piano and competitive tennis and was finance director of a school enterprise set up to market eco-friendly bags. "I think everybody should be interested in the environment. It is vital that governments do more to reduce emissions. But all of us can make small changes in our lives that will help."

Yea I read that article, doing all that age 16 is very impressive.
I'd still love to hear the top AH grades
Reply 9
Original post by nerd434
There was a student in 2007 who achieved seven A1's in one-sitting, which is pretty impressive. They did a interview sort-of-thing with him:
......But all of us can make small changes in our lives that will help."

That is pretty impressive. I think I saw him on the medical applicants profile page on TSR. There was definately a guy with 7 A's at higher in one sitting, I can't remember if it was all band 1's though. Do you have a link tot he article?

It's people like him where I look at myself and feel like crying.

It's really good that the school was able to support him, not that he needed any but my school doesn't allow anyone to take 6. I had senior management hunt me down when I tried to, haha.
Reply 10
Original post by -Neuro-
It's people like him where I look at myself and feel like crying.

How come? This kind of stuff is interesting/fun but a lot of it is down to school and personal circumstances and stuff like that as you said. Not to detract from the achievements listed here but (Advanced) Highers won't come up again after you get in to university. Focus on what you do there instead. :tongue:
There was somebody at my school a couple of years ago who went on to Oxbridge and graduated with a first class degree (in a humanities subject). I know this hasn't got anything to do with AH results, but in my opinion that's pretty damn impressive!
Also, according to my history teacher someone managed to get 100% in higher history last year (I think) for the first time in over a decade.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by nerd434
I don't think that'll be him because he ended up studying Engineering at Cambridge. There are around two or three people a year who manage to get seven A's.

I know what you mean, it can be annoying going to a state school. I think I could quite easily manage six, possible even seven, if I had the support from teachers and I was in a competitive environment. At my school it's seen as an achievement if you even sit five Highers; the school went out of their way to prevent me sitting six subjects. While on the other hand, most private schools don't have timetable columns and just build them around individual students in order to accommodate everyone.

Same at my school mate, that#s why I'd like to go to a competitive uni, where everyone there adores their subject and loves studying.
Reply 13
Well the SQA responded, kinda. For 2012:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending