Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Syrian Rep Suspension - VOTE Watch

• View Poll Results:
    0%

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    In July, this resolution was passed and resulted in the suspension of the Syrian representative.

Six months on, it is felt that the removal of the Syrian rep from MUN debates is proving counter-productive. I have decided to hold a vote on this, to let the MUN decide whether to maintain the suspension or to allow the rep for Syria back into debate and discussion.

Vote away!

ReputationRep:
    Since Syria was banned by the passing of a resolution surely the only way to undo it is also through a resolution.
    I'd be happy to throw one together if need be.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    Since Syria was banned by the passing of a resolution surely the only way to undo it is also through a resolution.
    I'd be happy to throw one together if need be.
    If you don't mind, that would be great. The poll was designed to get an idea of support for a future resolution, but even better if you're OK to do one now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birchington)
    If you don't mind, that would be great. The poll was designed to get an idea of support for a future resolution, but even better if you're OK to do one now.
    Yeah no problem. I wasn't sure if this wa supposed to be simply a poll or something that was supposed to be binding in MUN law.
    In any case I'll write something up tommorow and submit it.

ReputationRep:
    South Africa offers it's support to such a resolution should it come up in the General Assembly. No country should be expelled from the United Nations, or else it seeks to distance them and make them thinking insularlly such as we saw with the exclusion of certain powers from the League of Nations.

ReputationRep:
    Both Switzerland and Jordan support said resolution. We encourage other member states to get the ball of diplomacy rolling.

ReputationRep:
    Belarus wonders if the original resolution was just a way of stirring controversy. It has done nothing but stifle debate and prevent activity in a sector that is incredibly topical right now. Belarus supports the reinstatement of the Syrian rep wholeheartedly.

The Russian Federation obviously supports our Syrian allies coming back into the fray, we are incredibly puzzled as to why they were suspended in the first place... sure suspend them from the Arab League but to suspend them from the MUN? that was an incredibly stupid decision.

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully the Security Council and the GA will approve the resolution put forward by Argentina.

ReputationRep:
    I am staying out of this, Syria should be referred to the ICC

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.