Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

'Graphic' Anti-smoking Ad Launched Admist Campaign Watch

ReputationRep:
    A series of hard-hitting government adverts featuring people smoking cigarettes with a tumour growing from the end is being launched in England.

The ads will tell smokers that just 15 cigarettes can cause a mutation that leads to cancerous tumours in what marks a return to shock campaigning.

It is eight years since government's "fatty cigarette" anti-smoking adverts appeared.

This £2.7m ad campaign will appear on TV, online and posters until February.

Smokers will also be told about NHS quit kits that are available free from pharmacies.

More than a third of smokers still believe the health risks from smoking are greatly exaggerated, recent statistics from the Department of Health showed.
    Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-20805059

Personally I didn't think it was that bad in terms of being 'graphic' or obscene.

ReputationRep:
    Not condoning smoking, but burning wood in a chimney is even more dangerous, especially in terms of the number of carcinogens inhaled.

ReputationRep:
    what a nice waste of otherwise useful money...

ReputationRep:
    Haha, it won't work! The people who come up with these ideas have probably never been addicted to smoking - so there's a huge language barrier between smokers and non-smokers. I've seen it with my friends, the non-smokers don't understand how you can't "just stop" or the little nuances and behaviours of addiction... it's completely alien to them.

And besides, a smoker will only stop smoking if they really, really want to stop. If there is any doubt whatsoever, they will start again soon enough.

I also see people, mainly younger folk who see adverts like "smoking kills" almost as a challenge. It's "the man" telling them NOT TO DO THAT REALLY NICE THING and they're almost reflex-contrarian.

I say all of this as an ex-smoker, by the way. And I miss the damn things.

ReputationRep:
    Smoking is so pointless but the people who can't help it need severe help to quit.

ReputationRep:
    That cost nearly 3 million pounds?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2ndClass)
    That cost nearly 3 million pounds?
    Not to make the video, to advertise it

ReputationRep:
    These campaigns don't really do much to help people quit smoking. I mean everyday when a smoker buys a pack of cigarettes there is a big sign on the packet that says 'Smoking Kills' and some pretty horrible graphics on the other side, and with these constant warnings the smoker is conditioned to ignore them. With adverts its the same thing, although it might have an effect of putting children off starting the habit which is a good thing I suppose. As a smoker I know my habit is terrible and I do intend to quit, but advertising campaigns like this just annoy me. People will quit when they chose to do so, and money wasted would have been better spent elsewhere.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.