Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bright suit to university interview? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I want to stand out so I was thinking about a bright coloured suit at a Cardiff interview, maybe bright green or something. Good idea, or stupid?

ReputationRep:
    It worked for Will Smith in the Fresh Prince of Bel Air...

ReputationRep:
    Unless you applied for an arts subjects, better not to.

ReputationRep:
    Only if your interview is for an art 'degree'.

ReputationRep:
    noooo...

...but buy it and wear it somewhere else. It sounds cool.

ReputationRep:
    Ring up and ask what the clothing requirements are for the day.

Some universities would rather not see students in a suit (I think Oxbridge are some of those) because they want to see you in your natural fashion habitat and want you to be comfortable. They're not judging you on your clothing, but they want to see you as a person in their university. Others may expect a smart suit.

But as a rule? No. I would not wear that... Not even to a fancy dress party.

Cardiff? Yeah, should be okay with that. Just be aware that if they find you threatening, they can legally shoot you with a bow and arrow at noon on a Sunday, so generally just avoid wearing green suits to college interviews on a Sunday.

I don't know why you would wear a green suit to a college interview on a Sunday.

Do people in Cardiff even go to universities on Sundays?

Apart from you, do people in Cardiff (I'm assuming that's where you're based) wear green suits to universities?

Are you trying to look like a lime or a watermelon?

I think I looked too far into the detail of this.

I'm going to cry now at the fact that I seem to have no life, and only appear to laugh at my own sarcastic humor.

ReputationRep:
      I didnt exactly go into a top uni but I didnt need to go to the interview in a suit. No one did. To be honest the interview was a bit of joke most of the time the lecturer was chatting to someone who knocked on his door. Once I got to know him hes a nice guy but not a very good first impression lol. I got the impression that its just a quick double check to make sure you are interested in doing the course.

A bright suit might make you look different but I dont think it will serve any actual benefit. Its not like these people are moths attracted to bright colours if your not right for the course they will find out in the interview.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by oxymopadox)
      Cardiff? Yeah, should be okay with that. Just be aware that if they find you threatening, they can legally shoot you with a bow and arrow at noon on a Sunday, so generally just avoid wearing green suits to work on a Sunday.

I don't know why you would wear a green suit to work on a Sunday.

Do people in Cardiff even work on Sundays?

Apart from you, do people in Cardiff (I'm assuming that's where you're based) wear green suits to work?

I think I looked too far into the detail of this.
      Its okay, darling. You just have a seat. Drink some water.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by MrBean1994)
      Hey, I want to stand out so I was thinking about a bright coloured suit at a Cardiff interview, maybe bright green or something. Good idea, or stupid?
      I can't think of any time where a bright "suit" is appropriate.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by SillyEddy)
      Ring up and ask what the clothing requirements are for the day.

Some universities would rather not see students in a suit (I think Oxbridge are some of those) because they want to see you in your natural fashion habitat and want you to be comfortable.
      no,no. Oxbridge are fine with suits, most supervisors and applicants wear them. But they are also fine with smart looking 'anything else'.

(Original post by The Fruitbat)
        Its okay, darling. You just have a seat. Drink some water.
        A female called me darling!

I knew those social community online handbooks would work!

The next stage: Making Love.

Yes, as you can see, I made this quite awkward. I just got somewhat bored, and can't think of anything else to type.

(Original post by -aTOMic-)
          I can't think of any time where a bright "suit" is appropriate.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8hr94ENFIw

It worked for that guy.

For some reason, the video didn't come up, so I uploaded it again.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by oxymopadox)
          A female called me darling!

I knew those social community online handbooks would work!

The next stage: Making Love.

Yes, as you can see, I made this quite awkward. I just got somewhat bored, and can't think of anything else to type.
          I called my chemistry teacher darling once. Twice. Perhaps a lot. He's fat and balding and a cynical, snide version of santa claus with a less enthusiastic beard. Not to discourage you or anything.

Of course. Its the only logical step forward. Should I introduce you to my parents or are we having a one night stand?

(Original post by The Fruitbat)
            I called my chemistry teacher darling once. Twice. Perhaps a lot. He's fat and balding and a cynical, snide version of santa claus with a less enthusiastic beard. Not to discourage you or anything.

Of course. Its the only logical step forward. Should I introduce you to my parents or are we having a one night stand?
            You can introduce me to your parents. That seems like a good idea. Maybe they will be accepting.

ReputationRep:
            well a bright green suit will definitely make you stand out... whether it be for good or bad is another matter altogether.

ReputationRep:
            Most universities don't really care unless you're poorly dressed. Manchester uni even said on their interview letter that they won't be judging people on their dress sense!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
          Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
          Useful resources
          AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
        • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
          Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.