Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Not got into medical school ? Not re applying what degree shall I do now . Nursing ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    This is very misleading. The only way you'd do that is by doing Graduate Entry Medicine afterwards, which you can do after any degree.
    At some uni's anyway, others require a life sciences degree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheStudent.)
    This. But I wouldnt go as far as saying 'any'. Some medical schools can be lenient, but most specify the degrees they accept. Plus medicine gets more competitive each year so you're better off studying something thats medicine-related rather than risking doing a degree in, lets say english literature, because the admissions requirements for universities are continuously changing.

The usual degrees people go for is biomedicine / biochemistry, pharmacy, anatomy, neurology..etc.
    The whole point of GEM is to allow people who have done something different to then do Medicine if they decide they want to. The only reason for doing a scientific degree is if you want to be able to apply to certain specific universities/to have a wider choice AND you think you'll enjoy said course at least as much as an Arts/other degree. There is really no advantage to doing a scientific degree otherwise, except maybe a leg-up on the GAMSAT (though that's mostly tough A-level material so not so much).

(Original post by Alex_Jones)
    At some uni's anyway, others require a life sciences degree
    I never said you could get into every GEM course with a degree that wasn't life sciences. You can fill your UCAS choices with options to spare, though, so I don't see the problem. I'd say doing the first degree you really want to do takes priority over having the option to apply to a particular uni later on, especially when Medicine is Medicine.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hippokrates)
    Thanks, don't think I'm anything special though I just practised a lot I don't have a talent for it.
    It is an aptitude test though so a natural talent does play a part in it practise helps too xD but I like the modesty

Good luck with your application! And don't worry about your KCL interview (ive been stalking the threads because im applying to their EMDP course). It may have gone better than you actually think
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    The whole point of GEM is to allow people who have done something different to then do Medicine if they decide they want to. The only reason for doing a scientific degree is if you want to be able to apply to certain specific universities/to have a wider choice AND you think you'll enjoy said course at least as much as an Arts/other degree. There is really no advantage to doing a scientific degree otherwise, except maybe a leg-up on the GAMSAT (though that's mostly tough A-level material so not so much).

I never said you could get into every GEM course with a degree that wasn't life sciences. You can fill your UCAS choices with options to spare, though, so I don't see the problem. I'd say doing the first degree you really want to do takes priority over having the option to apply to a particular uni later on, especially when Medicine is Medicine.
    True true, you didnt say that. I just reckon its risky to not study a life science if you're absolutely certain that you want to study medicine once you graduate. I can understand if someone changed their mind halfway through doing an irrelevant degree.

Also the GEM usually takes 4 years as opposed to 5 so its a bonus if you've studied a life science so that at least to some extent not all of the course content would be alien to you.

ReputationRep:
    Well, one girl on my course remarked that if it weren't for the fact that they didn't get into medicine, pharmacy would have hardly any boys on the course, a lot of the boys doing pharmacy took it as a back-up for medicine. So you could consider that, although don't even think about suggesting it's inferior to medicine or you will be murdered, it's pretty insulting to the people who actually wanted to do pharmacy all along. I'm not saying you would, just that there are prats on my course who have said that. :lol: So yeah, there's that, or biomedicine, my friend's brother's studying Biomechanical engineering (which is all to do with prosthetic limbs and things like that) after he didn't get into medicine, or you could look into other courses you like the look of if you don't fancy the whole "Gap year and reapply" route. Hope you enjoy whatever course you do end up on though.

ReputationRep:
    It is an aptitude test though so a natural talent does play a part in it practise helps too xD but I like the modesty

Good luck with your application! And don't worry about your KCL interview (ive been stalking the threads because im applying to their EMDP course). It may have gone better than you actually think
    Trust me I was a complete wreck and my interview was less that 15 minutes long.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Trust me I was a complete wreck and my interview was less that 15 minutes long.
    ... maybe they were behind schedule lol you havent recieved your rejection yet so that can only be a good thing! If they really disliked you, you would've heard back from them by now.

If its any consolation, your first interview is always going to be the hardest (particularly at kings lol) so at least you know what to improve on the next time you have three shots at it anyway

ReputationRep:
    ... maybe they were behind schedule lol you havent recieved your rejection yet so that can only be a good thing! If they really disliked you, you would've heard back from them by now.

If its any consolation, your first interview is always going to be the hardest (particularly at kings lol) so at least you know what to improve on the next time you have three shots at it anyway
    If only that was true, it was my 3rd I have no excuse.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    If only that was true, it was my 3rd I have no excuse.
    Oops on my part. You were interviewed pretty early by all those universities how did the other two go?

ReputationRep:
    Woah, this was my first thread starter on TSR , I didn't expect such a good response-thanks( I'm yr13 have no rejections so far but no interviews) . If I were to choose a different course should I get four rejections how would I do it I.e can someone explain ucas extra and clearing please . will I still be able to get into a Good uni through extra for something like pharmacy . And does anyone have any info on pharmacy careers such as . Job prospects , graduate schemes , working hours and ...( don't mob me) salary. With regard to gap year I am still keeping this option open because I do really want to study medicine but essentially it will come down to practicality issues such as whether I will be able to stay at home (dont think I can afford a flat) and the situation in my family. I know that however If I did take a gap year I would look for healthcare work full time as I have to be in a routine!

ReputationRep:
    OP if you are going to get the grades, and you want to study medicine - I'd strongly recommend gap year, work experience and reapplication over the graduate entry route. Grad entry is already far more competitive, lengthy and expensive - and who knows how financial arrangements for graduate students will change in future. It isn't any sort of default path to medicine, imo.

If you do choose another degree, however - the best advice will always to pick whatever subject in which you have the greatest interest and aptitude, whether you later study medicine or not. I can't tell you what that is!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeanofJelly)
    OP if you are going to get the grades, and you want to study medicine - I'd strongly recommend gap year, work experience and reapplication over the graduate entry route. Grad entry is already far more competitive, lengthy and expensive - and who knows how financial arrangements for graduate students will change in future. It isn't any sort of default path to medicine, imo.

If you do choose another degree, however - the best advice will always to pick whatever subject in which you have the greatest interest and aptitude, whether you later study medicine or not. I can't tell you what that is!
    Agreed

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.