Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which next developing country will become developed? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Which are the next developing countries to become a member of the "Developed countries club" within 10 years?

Here are recent countries that have taken the step and the year it did it:

List of graduated developing economies

What do you think?

I think of maybe these countries:

Europe

Poland
    Lithuania
    Latvia
    Croatia
    Hungary
    Romania

Asia

Malaysia

South America

Chile
    Argentina
    Uruguay

North America

Mexico

ReputationRep:
    I think you're better off removing Argentina from that list

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Mary)
    I think you're better off removing Argentina from that list
    Not necessarily. Its only the UK that is wary about allowing them to develop.

Edit: anyone want to explain the neg?

ReputationRep:
    I think that despite some of its problems, Mexico is a possibility.

ReputationRep:
    Hungary or Poland. I know alot of corporations are relocating a lot of jobs there.

What's the definition of a developed country anyway?

ReputationRep:
    personally id say poland and hungary are already in it... theyre not exactly 3rd world countries?

ReputationRep:
    Mexico.

ReputationRep:
    These countries don't really have much to develop in the first place. They are 2nd world countries at the very least due to being held back a bit because of communism or colonialism. They still have modern railways, motorways, healthcare, internet and everything else first world countries have it's just not as good. Most of the actual 3rd world developing countries are in Africa.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on you define developed really.

Every country has its good and bad side. Millions live in poverty in USA (Mainly Black Americans) yet its a developed country. This applies to all places including UK as well.

Personally I think countries like Poland, Hungary, China, etc... will be "developed" in around 10-30 years. This is because they already have the infrastructure in place, just need to expand it and make it consistent nationwide.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    China

ReputationRep:
    Myanmar. If only the army doesn't backtrack to its old ways of authoritarian rule, Myanmar definitely has the potential to contribute to regional development with its vast natural resources. Problem is, China doesn't seem to like US intruding its usual exploitation of Myanmar.

ReputationRep:
    China and Brazil

ReputationRep:
    Looking at the pattern (from what OP has listed), probably another European country.

I am very surprised Hungary is not considered to be a developed country yet. If we look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Developed_country

We can see that Hungary is only marginally behind Estonia, Slovakia and Malta. As I have been to Hungary and lived among Hungarians before, I know that they have a fantastic education system there and the UK education people can definitely learn a thing or two from them.

ReputationRep:
    Remove Poland from the list, it is a perfectly developed country.

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and say Botswana. They have small population with immense mineral wealth. Not only this but politically the country is stable, with a functioning democracy. Corruption is also very low, with lowest rates in Africa. In 2010 the GDP per capita was $14,000 which is relatively high in the Third World. The only matter of concern is their economic growth rate took a hit during the last recession and growth at the moment still hasn't recovered to pre-recession levels but I have confidence that it'll get back on track. Also it wouldn't hurt to diversify the economy a little bit.

ReputationRep:
    I would nominate Saudi Arabia and Turkey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swanbow)
    I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and say Botswana. They have small population with immense mineral wealth. Not only this but politically the country is stable, with a functioning democracy. Corruption is also very low, with lowest rates in Africa. In 2010 the GDP per capita was $14,000 which is relatively high in the Third World. The only matter of concern is their economic growth rate took a hit during the last recession and growth at the moment still hasn't recovered to pre-recession levels but I have confidence that it'll get back on track. Also it wouldn't hurt to diversify the economy a little bit.
    My first thought as well, but taking into account its HDI ranking (118th) and that countries like Saudi Arabia are much ahead and yet still not considered developed I do not think Botswana is a serious candidate for the near future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sir Fox)
    I would nominate Saudi Arabia and Turkey.
    Definitely not Saudi Arabia.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Brazil by far. It's on the up rapidly and will become one of the powerhouses in the next few years/decades.

Indonesia is also on this path, but it's moving too slowly to really happen in the next few years. Furthermore, they are one of the lowest countries in the world, so as global warming kicks in they'll quickly get into trouble.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Sir Fox)
      My first thought as well, but taking into account its HDI ranking (118th) and that countries like Saudi Arabia are much ahead and yet still not considered developed I do not think Botswana is a serious candidate for the near future.
      Yeah it still has a long way to go but a lot of potential for a Sub-Saharan nation.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.