Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which next developing country will become developed? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'd say Mexico, for North America, and for South America, what about Panama? That seems to be developing very well. And about Argentina and Chile, well the Human Development Index already classes them as developed countries, the same as with Poland and Hungary. In Asia, I'd say Oman, Malaysia and Turkey (which could also go for Europe as well)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samaaf)
    Definitely not Saudi Arabia.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    Because of?! We are not talking about human rights or democracy here but exclusively about the economic situation, infrastructure etc. and considering Saudi Arabia's oil reserves I don't see how they can't become a developed country in the near future.

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking Mexico as soon as I read the title.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sir Fox)
    Because of?! We are not talking about human rights or democracy here but exclusively about the economic situation, infrastructure etc. and considering Saudi Arabia's oil reserves I don't see how they can't become a developed country in the near future.
    Ah i was referring to the political and social issues in the country. With the amount of oil it has then yeah, economically, it could develop. But how can the country as a whole develop if it's government and policies are so backwards?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swanbow)
    I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and say Botswana. They have small population with immense mineral wealth. Not only this but politically the country is stable, with a functioning democracy. Corruption is also very low, with lowest rates in Africa. In 2010 the GDP per capita was $14,000 which is relatively high in the Third World. The only matter of concern is their economic growth rate took a hit during the last recession and growth at the moment still hasn't recovered to pre-recession levels but I have confidence that it'll get back on track. Also it wouldn't hurt to diversify the economy a little bit.
    Maybe it'll be the first in Africa rather than in the world, but +1 for Botswana, that country is like a gem in rubble.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sir Fox)
    You can't become developed if the government is so corrupt

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samaaf)
    Ah i was referring to the political and social issues in the country. With the amount of oil it has then yeah, economically, it could develop. But how can the country as a whole develop if it's government and policies are so backwards?

The citizens of Saudi Arabia might be highly restricted in the things they can do, but not so much that they can't have a high quality of life. Nazi Germany and Fascist Italy are considered to have been developed countries, are they not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arbolus)
    The citizens of Saudi Arabia might be highly restricted in the things they can do, but not so much that they can't have a high quality of life. Nazi Germany and Fascist Italy are considered to have been developed countries, are they not?
    It depends how you measure a high quality of life. I would say, for example, the way women are treated there proves how much the country still needs to develop.
    & How were Nazi Germany and Fascist Italy considered developed? The regime in both countries actually reminds me of some aspects of Saudi Arabia.

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and say Botswana. They have small population with immense mineral wealth. Not only this but politically the country is stable, with a functioning democracy. Corruption is also very low, with lowest rates in Africa. In 2010 the GDP per capita was $14,000 which is relatively high in the Third World. The only matter of concern is their economic growth rate took a hit during the last recession and growth at the moment still hasn't recovered to pre-recession levels but I have confidence that it'll get back on track. Also it wouldn't hurt to diversify the economy a little bit.
    Just wondering, did Dutch disease apply in that case?

I think the order would probably be China -> Brazil/India (if they have proper law/government in place)...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whyeverynameisus)
    Just wondering, did Dutch disease apply in that case?

I think the order would probably be China -> Brazil/India (if they have proper law/government in place)...
    Dutch disease? For the Elm trees? I don't quite follow.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Dutch disease? For the Elm trees? I don't quite follow.
    If I'm not mistaken its where your economy becomes dependent on one resource to the exclusion of all others. It's named after the Dutch economy became dependent on tulips? Or some other flower leading to an over dependence leading to stagnation.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    If I'm not mistaken its where your economy becomes dependent on one resource to the exclusion of all others. It's named after the Dutch economy became dependent on tulips? Or some other flower leading to an over dependence leading to stagnation.

You are right, that's what I meant.

When a country has so much natural resource , they would export them, and that harms other industry, as it drains factor of production from other industries and those weaken as a result, over time, only the resource industry dominates the market, and when it runs out. The economy is in trouble.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)

Oh yeah, I read about that with the loads of people investing their life savings into tulips and then when the price went down all the invested wealth just vanished.

I think the case with Botswana is different though, as diamonds will always be of a value and they have plenty of other resources to fall back on like nickel, cooper, coal and iron. Plus they can expand the tourism industry which is always something to fall back on.

ReputationRep:
    Poland and Hungary are not developed countries? o_O

Of the ones that strike me as 'developing' I'd go with Malaysia and part of me wants to say Mexico despite how ****ed up it is.

I think there was a programme on Al-Jazeera recently looking into Mexico and its 'status' in this regard though I didn't watch it.

ReputationRep:
    All of those countries bar Romania, Malaysia, Uruguay and Mexico are in the very high HDI group, so I would describe them as developed. Plus of those that aren't most are only a few points below anyway.
    Putting countries into two groups of developed and undeveloped is a pretty rough science anyway when there's so much variation within countries.

Out of those that you did list I would say Poland has the greatest potential; having huge amounts of arable land, a large workforce, good transport links and most importantly being next to Germany, a prime market. Poland and Germany will become the new power couple in the EU, France is going to struggle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sol1dShot)
    Not necessarily. Its only the UK that is wary about allowing them to develop.
    We're not wary of them developing. In fact, if they were developed their government wouldn't have to use propaganda to win votes, i.e. Falklands. A developed country would embrace continued trade with the Falklands and not giving a monkeys who ran the place. It's a sick state with a sick administration which has run out of ideas and points hypocritical fingers and using a flawed logic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snagprophet)
    We're not wary of them developing. In fact, if they were developed their government wouldn't have to use propaganda to win votes, i.e. Falklands. A developed country would embrace continued trade with the Falklands and not giving a monkeys who ran the place. It's a sick state with a sick administration which has run out of ideas and points hypocritical fingers and using a flawed logic.
    i couldnt agree more.

(Original post by FNNG)
      Which next developing country will become developed?

Europe
      Poland
      Lithuania
      Latvia
      Croatia
      Hungary
      Romania
      You include all of these, yet do not include Russia which is almost guaranteed to become developed before much of that list. Unless Russia somehow changes their economy to be less reliant on natural resources I doubt they will beat Poland although it is the fastest growing out of them all just unfortunate it is badly managed in some respects. Although in all honesty all those countries have a lot of work to do before they are truly developed but your best bet of a high paying job out of the lot is Russia.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by tehFrance)
      You include all of these, yet do not include Russia which is almost guaranteed to become developed before much of that list. Unless Russia somehow changes their economy to be less reliant on natural resources I doubt they will beat Poland although it is the fastest growing out of them all just unfortunate it is badly managed in some respects. Although in all honesty all those countries have a lot of work to do before they are truly developed but your best bet of a high paying job out of the lot is Russia.
      Dude, I know you are a fanboy of Putin, but Russia =/= Moscow. Russia is an absolutely destitute hellhole and if you ever bother travelling around the place this would quickly become apparent to you. But yeah, you can continue kiss Putin's ass and praise Russia's brilliant leadership. In 10 years you will be proved wrong (Russia is already running a budget deficit).

ReputationRep:
      I would say Qatar...

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.