Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Seamed stockings - tarty or not? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm back home from uni for the holidays and going out tonight for NYE with my old school friends. Obviously we're getting glammed up for the night and I showed my mum the outfit I was planning to wear last night. It's basically a smart looking black dress which finishes about an inch above my knees. I told her I was going to year the dress with a pair of black seamed stockings seeing as we were all making an extra effort to be glitzy (it's our first proper night out since we all went to uni in September).

My mum is pretty laid back and quite fashion concious herself and has seen me wear seamed stockings before (I wore nude with a black seam to my prom) and so was a bit taken aback when she said the black ones were "tarty and make you look cheap" (her exact words).

Just wondered what everyone on here thought? Are they tarty or classy / fashionable? I thought they looked nice and very Mad Men-esque but not so sure now after what mum said.

PS when I say black seamed stockings, I mean a black leg with matching seam down the back.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bex94)
    I'm back home from uni for the holidays and going out tonight for NYE with my old school friends. Obviously we're getting glammed up for the night and I showed my mum the outfit I was planning to wear last night. It's basically a smart looking black dress which finishes about an inch above my knees. I told her I was going to year the dress with a pair of black seamed stockings seeing as we were all making an extra effort to be glitzy (it's our first proper night out since we all went to uni in September).

My mum is pretty laid back and quite fashion concious herself and has seen me wear seamed stockings before (I wore nude with a black seam to my prom) and so was a bit taken aback when she said the black ones were "tarty and make you look cheap" (her exact words).

Just wondered what everyone on here thought? Are they tarty or classy / fashionable? I thought they looked nice and very Mad Men-esque but not so sure now after what mum said.

PS when I say black seamed stockings, I mean a black leg with matching seam down the back.

Doesn't sound tarty to me, but without pictures it's very hard to tell. Possibly the combination of the stockings and dress make it look tarty. From what you've said, the dress sounds very classy and the stockings sound fine as long as they're good quality. Everyone used to wear seamed stockings back in the day so I don't see what the big deal is. If they were being worn with a mini dress with a lot of cleavage on show I could maybe see where your mum is coming from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlotte49)
    Doesn't sound tarty to me, but without pictures it's very hard to tell. Possibly the combination of the stockings and dress make it look tarty. From what you've said, the dress sounds very classy and the stockings sound fine as long as they're good quality. Everyone used to wear seamed stockings back in the day so I don't see what the big deal is. If they were being worn with a mini dress with a lot of cleavage on show I could maybe see where your mum is coming from.
    Hi

The dress is from Monsoon a few years back so isn't the sort that causes my boobs to pop out and my mum hasn't seen the whole ensemble together yet either.

The stockings are fully fashioned Gios and weren't cheap so I'm not really sure where my mum's coming from so might have to ignore the parental advice!

ReputationRep:
    Depends what worn with but defenitely classy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paleponey)
    Depends what worn with but defenitely classy
    Only three years late but thanks for your input! I'm pretty sure I wore those seams on NYE 2012 but I'm definitely heading out in new seamed stockings this evening that my friend bought me for Christmas from Agent Provocateur. Can't wait! 😀

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 31, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.