Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best book for Edexcel AS Biology? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Dear Pals!

I would like to know which of the following books is best for self-studying Edexcel AS level Biology (the new syllabus which includes alternative to practical for international students):

1. Edexcel AS Biology Student's Book by Ann Fullick (Pearson Publications)

2. Salters Nuffield Advanced Biology AS Student Book (Pearson Publications)

3. Edexcel Biology for AS Level by C.J. Clegg ( Hodder Education)

Kind Regards,

rahul

ReputationRep:
    Someone please reply!

Thank you....

rahul

ReputationRep:
    I'd say CGP is the best on its own, very simple to understand and it covers the syllabus. Never tried the salters book but I don't rate the Ann Fullick textbook at all it's far to waffly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dhaden)
    I'd say CGP is the best on its own, very simple to understand and it covers the syllabus. Never tried the salters book but I don't rate the Ann Fullick textbook at all it's far to waffly.
    Hi Pal,

Thank you very for replying.

But what do you say about the Edexcel Biology for AS by C.J. Clegg. I have heard its a good textbook for obtaining A grade. Is it true? should I buy CGP and this book? or should I only buy CGP book?

Awaiting your kind and valuable reply.

rahul

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rahul03)
    Hi Pal,

Thank you very for replying.

But what do you say about the Edexcel Biology for AS by C.J. Clegg. I have heard its a good textbook for obtaining A grade. Is it true? should I buy CGP and this book? or should I only buy CGP book?

Awaiting your kind and valuable reply.

rahul
    Mind linking me to this book by C.J Clegg? If it's relevant to the syllabus getting the perspective from two books is always good, however i really recommend using the CGP revision guides as your foundation. No textbook/revision guide will guarantee you an A grade, you also need to go over past papers multiple times/review the syllabus/look at the examiners reports etc, that'll get you towards the A grade.

ReputationRep:
    Mind linking me to this book by C.J Clegg? If it's relevant to the syllabus getting the perspective from two books is always good, however i really recommend using the CGP revision guides as your foundation. No textbook/revision guide will guarantee you an A grade, you also need to go over past papers multiple times/review the syllabus/look at the examiners reports etc, that'll get you towards the A grade.
    Hello Dhaden,

Here is the link of the book:http://www.hoddereducation.co.uk/Tit...ogy_for_AS.htm

BTW, are you also doing Edexcel AS-level?

Thank you,

rahul

ReputationRep:
    Hello Dhaden,

Here is the link of the book:http://www.hoddereducation.co.uk/Tit...ogy_for_AS.htm

BTW, are you also doing Edexcel AS-level?

Thank you,

rahul
    Yeah the book looks well linked to the syllabus so by all means go for it, i did my A/S last year yeah. Got an A in my Jan exam and a D in my June exam due to them fiddling like mad with the grade boundaries.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the book looks well linked to the syllabus so by all means go for it, i did my A/S last year yeah. Got an A in my Jan exam and a D in my June exam due to them fiddling like mad with the grade boundaries.

Dear Dhaden,

Thanks for replying again.

I think I would buy both the books CGP and Celgg. BTW, in which subjects did you get an A and D?

Thank you

rahul

ReputationRep:

Dear Dhaden,

Thanks for replying again.

I think I would buy both the books CGP and Celgg. BTW, in which subjects did you get an A and D?

Thank you

rahul
    I got a B overall in A/S Biology, however in unit 1 i got an A and in Unit 2 i got a D.

ReputationRep:
    isnt the exam in like 10 days - i don't even know lol - haven't really started doing proper revision, but yeah the snab strudent books are packed full of unnecessary info

ReputationRep:
    I got a B overall in A/S Biology, however in unit 1 i got an A and in Unit 2 i got a D.

Hi Dhaden

Thanks for replying.

rahul

ReputationRep:
    get the SNAB edexcel book, then log on to getrevising an search for SNAB revision notes for whatever unit your doing

ReputationRep:
    I have the Edexcel Biology AS C.J.Clegg and I find it very good, understanding and usefull!It has an end of topic test wich helps you understand what you gained from each chapter!I would recomend it to you but I dont know the other book you are talking about!Hope I helped a little!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.