Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am from a North American private school and I got a philosophy offer from St. Andrews. The thing is that my private school is very big and very well funded, so many universities feel like a downgrade. I really like St. Andrews, because the campus (or the town which is essentially the campus) is definitely at least as nice as my current campus. The sports, societies and events all seem to be on par with what I am used to. My only concern is the classrooms and the technology used in those classrooms. The classrooms I saw in some St. A videos seemed dark and old. I am not looking for anything ridiculous, but I would like to know if the classrooms are clean/well-painted, well-arranged and modern. For some reason, this is important to me. In addition, I have, unfortunately, been spoiled by my highschool's laptop system. We do everything on computers, including math (with laptop pens). Do a lot of the students at St. A take the notes by hand? Can all notes be taken on my laptop? Is there a good online sharepoint system and how is SaintMail, Calendar/Module schedule?

Sorry if I sounds condescending or elitist in the post. I know spoiled North Americans are an unfavourable stereotype at St. Andrews and I don't mean to imply that my overpriced school is so great that nothing can ever measure up to it. I just wanna know more about what St. Andrews is like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HibernatingSeal)
    My only concern is the classrooms and the technology used in those classrooms. The classrooms I saw in some St. A videos seemed dark and old. I am not looking for anything ridiculous, but I would like to know if the classrooms are clean/well-painted, well-arranged and modern.
    It depends on the department. I'm in the sciences and so many of the facilities are more modern, so I won't comment further.

Do a lot of the students at St. A take the notes by hand? Can all notes be taken on my laptop? Is there a good online sharepoint system and how is SaintMail, Calendar/Module schedule?
    In my subject, nearly all students take notes by hand. However, I believe this varies for some arts subjects. You could think of getting a LiveScribe pen if you wanted to have computerised notes without needing a computer.

There isn't a sharepoint system, whatever that is.

SaintMail is Google Apps Mail (so, same as GMail). You can use other google apps like calendar and sites, if you want.

The module schedule - it'll be very clear when you have lectures/tutorials and where. How you organise it is your choice. Personally, I input everything into my google calendar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HibernatingSeal)
    Hi,

I am from a North American private school and I got a philosophy offer from St. Andrews. The thing is that my private school is very big and very well funded, so many universities feel like a downgrade. I really like St. Andrews, because the campus (or the town which is essentially the campus) is definitely at least as nice as my current campus. The sports, societies and events all seem to be on par with what I am used to. My only concern is the classrooms and the technology used in those classrooms. The classrooms I saw in some St. A videos seemed dark and old. I am not looking for anything ridiculous, but I would like to know if the classrooms are clean/well-painted, well-arranged and modern. For some reason, this is important to me. In addition, I have, unfortunately, been spoiled by my highschool's laptop system. We do everything on computers, including math (with laptop pens). Do a lot of the students at St. A take the notes by hand? Can all notes be taken on my laptop? Is there a good online sharepoint system and how is SaintMail, Calendar/Module schedule?

Sorry if I sounds condescending or elitist in the post. I know spoiled North Americans are an unfavourable stereotype at St. Andrews and I don't mean to imply that my overpriced school is so great that nothing can ever measure up to it. I just wanna know more about what St. Andrews is like.
    Classroom facilities are almost totally irrelevant - though for what it's worth, Philosophy has one of the nicest buildings there is, perched right on the edge of the cliffs with stunning views of the bay. Add to that one of the only remaining departmental libraries and you've got a well resourced department.

What really matters though is the people and from what I gather they're excellent - it's rated as one of the best departments in the UK (something like joint top with Oxford). Trust me it will be a major step up from your high school - the only resource that really matters is people, and St Andrews has an excellent philosophy faculty.

I took all my undergrad notes on my laptop. If that's what you want to do, it's perfectly fine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.