Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    "They're only as good as the world allows them to be. When the chips are down, these... these civilized people, they'll eat each other."

Does anybody agree with the Joker's statement?

ReputationRep:
    Some people do, some people don't. There are plenty of people in situations where it's their life or the life of someone else have sacrificed themselves.

ReputationRep:
    I do agree with myself!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lazer_cross)
    "They're only as good as the world allows them to be. When the chips are down, these... these civilized people, they'll eat each other."

Does anybody agree with the Joker's statement?
    I'd like to think I'm a good man, and not because I'm trying to impress a religious being, but because I hold true the values of honour, selfless commitment, respect for others, loyalty, integrity and discipline. I put a friend into relatively highly paid employment some years back rather than myself because I felt it better suited him. I understand though, that these days my kind are a rarity.

You have only to look at the Milgram experiment (or its applied versions) to see what humans are capable of. Let us also not forget that mankind has always been at war through the ages, and even our closest ancestors will kill each other over territory and food source. This is because it is in our nature - we are only what we are today because we were competitive and survivalist (that, and we got creative). Look at New Orleans, plenty of marauding gangs after their misfortune who sought to take rather than give in their neighbourhood, or what about the RUF in Sierra Leone who dominated by amputating, raping and child soldier press ganging anyone who disagreed with them?, or the numerous political, racial and religious conflicts the world over - mainly because fundamentally those people are 'different' to them/share different views and are therefore a threat.

But lets also consider the ruthless world of business, which these days quite often looks at how you can exploit people for maximum return, with attractive material incentives used to reward for doing so.

I could go on, but with all said and done, I trust very few people in this world, because I know what human nature really is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Praetoriani)
    I'd like to think I'm a good man, and not because I'm trying to impress a religious being, but because I hold true the values of honour, selfless commitment, respect for others, loyalty, integrity and discipline. I put a friend into relatively highly paid employment some years back rather than myself because I felt it better suited him. I understand though, that these days my kind are a rarity.

You have only to look at the Milgram experiment (or its applied versions) to see what humans are capable of. Let us also not forget that mankind has always been at war through the ages, and even our closest ancestors will kill each other over territory and food source. This is because it is in our nature - we are only what we are today because we were competitive and survivalist (that, and we got creative). Look at New Orleans, plenty of marauding gangs after their misfortune who sought to take rather than give in their neighbourhood, or what about the RUF in Sierra Leone who dominated by amputating, raping and child soldier press ganging anyone who disagreed with them?, or the numerous political, racial and religious conflicts the world over - mainly because fundamentally those people are 'different' to them/share different views and are therefore a threat.

But lets also consider the ruthless world of business, which these days quite often looks at how you can exploit people for maximum return, with attractive material incentives used to reward for doing so.

I could go on, but with all said and done, I trust very few people in this world, because I know what human nature really is.
    So after the long note. Do you mean to say that you agree with the statement? As for me now i have started to think that the Joker is right. At least i can say he is right for people of a few countries that i have visited.

ReputationRep:
    No I don't agree with that statement. Heath Ledger's rendition of The Joker was extremely one sided, believing that everyone deep down was like him. We all have an internal struggle of a certain nature, it depends on what side you act on. There is some truth in what he says in TDK though but only with certain people. It's personified with Dent, Batman and the people on the boat The Joker was trying to blow up. Dent was easily corrupted but The Joker fails to corrupt Batman and the people on the boats. We all have a choice.

ReputationRep:
    Wow its a film not designed to expose philosophical truths to the comment above ^

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do agree with him. I think there are always exceptions and there would be people who would stick to their guns, but most would run off into their own tribes and try to destroy the rest.

ReputationRep:
      yes

for further reference

Spoiler:
      Show

"Ralph wept for the end of innocence, for the darkness of a man's heart"

we can't help it, it's genetically rooted

ReputationRep:
      Everyone would like to think of themselves as the type of person who would stand firm in a time of adversity. Truth is, we'll never know what type of person we'll end up being until it actually comes to that.

But human nature is geared towards survival, so when it comes down to it, I think most people will do whatever is in their power in order to survive in extreme situations, however immoral.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by lazer_cross)
      So after the long note. Do you mean to say that you agree with the statement? As for me now i have started to think that the Joker is right. At least i can say he is right for people of a few countries that i have visited.
      Although he makes a point perhaps of the masses and of social attitude in general, he isn't entirely correct no. Everyone is different, and while some like the Joker character only wish to see this earth burn, there are those like me who are not happy with it by a long stretch, but who will always remain true to our values. In the words of Rorschach of the Watchmen fame: "Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon."

Example 1:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW1pi9LIRFU

This woman certainly didn't have to put her life in danger like this to save this man, but she chose to. She was quite prepared to die trying.

Example 2:
      Sgt Michael Willetts GC. In 1971 the IRA threw a bomb in to a police station in Northern Ireland. Upon realising this, he decisively ran into the room it had been thrown into and used his body as a human shield. His actions saved a man, a woman, 2 children and several police officers from death. He most certainly didn't have to, could have spared his own skin in a conflict where he was an unpopular figure, but he did. And there have been countless, often forgotten sacrifices like his throughout time.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.