Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Here's the thing.I'm a EU citizen who plans to study in a college in Scotland(i'll study for a NQ)in 2014 which means that since the independence referendum will be held in late 2014 i'll start off studying for free.But what if Scotland does become independent?I mean after my one year of studying for a NQ,i want to continue and study for a HNC for a year and then for a HND for another one year.My question is,would i have to pay for the HNC and the HND?I'll study(hopefully)dental technology btw.
    Thanks.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christina007)
    Here's the thing.I'm a EU citizen who plans to study in a college in Scotland(i'll study for a NQ)in 2014 which means that since the independence referendum will be held in late 2014 i'll start off studying for free.But what if Scotland does become independent?I mean after my one year of studying for a NQ,i want to continue and study for a HNC for a year and then for a HND for another one year.My question is,would i have to pay for the HNC and the HND?I'll study(hopefully)dental technology btw.
    Thanks.
    I've not really read into this issue so if someone wants to correct me, then go ahead but I don't think you can really tell. There's a lot of speculation about whether or not the government would still pay tuition fees or if they would scrap free tuition fees, especially since if Scotland was independent then I assume that means the RUK students would get free tuition, just like the Europeans do. So yeah, there isn't really a definite answer to your question I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ecosse_14)
    I've not really read into this issue so if someone wants to correct me, then go ahead but I don't think you can really tell. There's a lot of speculation about whether or not the government would still pay tuition fees or if they would scrap free tuition fees, especially since if Scotland was independent then I assume that means the RUK students would get free tuition, just like the Europeans do. So yeah, there isn't really a definite answer to your question I'm afraid.
    It would also depend on whether Scotland joined the EU or not, as there is uncertainty about whether they would join automatically or not. If it's not automatic, surely there will be a referendum and therefore it may not happen? I thought I heard they were looking into ways of paying tuition by cheating the system e.g. through bursaries for Scottish students studying here, to the value of the fees, but I may have misunderstood...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.