Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have seen that if I want to get anywhere in Law, I realistically need to achieve a 2:1.

However, there is a whole 9/10% within the 2:1 range. Does it make any difference if I achieved 60%, or 69%? Or is a 2:1 simply a 2:1?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knalchemist)
    I have seen that if I want to get anywhere in Law, I realistically need to achieve a 2:1.

However, there is a whole 9/10% within the 2:1 range. Does it make any difference if I achieved 60%, or 69%? Or is a 2:1 simply a 2:1?
    Firms usually ask for every module % which would suggest it does, but it's impossible to know how much weight they place on it (other than some like Slaughters who say 'good 2:1' which shows they do care about the range within it).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roh)
    Firms usually ask for every module % which would suggest it does, but it's impossible to know how much weight they place on it (other than some like Slaughters who say 'good 2:1' which shows they do care about the range within it).
    I didn't know this. Thanks a bunch!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it makes a difference when applying to law firms. Firms generally ask for a breakdown of your grades - given that most people get 2:1s, there is a significant difference between a borderline 2:1 and a high 2:1. There is less difference when applying for other lines of work but I guess it could still be relevant depending on what you are applying for.

ReputationRep:
    It makes all the difference when applying for a training contract because they see the module breakdown. But if you are offered a training contract and then perform in your final year at a level which brings your overall 'average' down to a bare 60 or 61, this won't affect your training contract offer if that firm merely made your offer conditional upon a 2:1.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.