Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I have a gym membership now but I don't know where to start in terms of getting big, I am skinny and suspect it may take a while. In addition I under eat and don't have any calories, I cannot have dairy so any advice about that too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joeh342)
    Hey, I have a gym membership now but I don't know where to start in terms of getting big, I am skinny and suspect it may take a while. In addition I under eat and don't have any calories, I cannot have dairy so any advice about that too?
    Hey

Jump onto a basic routine such as 'Starting Strength' (I'll link it at the bottom), add in some assistance such as face pulls, chins and dips into the routine. And then just focus on correct technique on the big compound movements and adding extra weight to the bar on each workout. Getting stronger, will help you get bigger

But as you have said yourself your main problem is diet. Not really much to say here, except eat more. Try and get your calories from healthier sources such as grilled chicken, fish, nuts, etc. Add in some junk food as well to help increase your calorie intake if you have to!

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi..._Strength_Wiki

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by areebmazhar)
    Hey

Jump onto a basic routine such as 'Starting Strength' (I'll link it at the bottom), add in some assistance such as face pulls, chins and dips into the routine. And then just focus on correct technique on the big compound movements and adding extra weight to the bar on each workout. Getting stronger, will help you get bigger

But as you have said yourself your main problem is diet. Not really much to say here, except eat more. Try and get your calories from healthier sources such as grilled chicken, fish, nuts, etc. Add in some junk food as well to help increase your calorie intake if you have to!

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi..._Strength_Wiki
    So I should get my diet sorted first? Could that stop me from progressing at all? One thing I am nervous about is not being able to lift much but I will have a look at that. I am thinking of having 200g extra of pasta a day.

ReputationRep:
    Start increasing the amount you eat on a daily basis. Count the calories. Be meticulous. You want to be aiming for about 3k calories a day.
    Sounds like a lot? Think of it as 3 x 800 calorie meals and a few glasses of full fat milk.
    Snack when you can on healthy things such as nuts and more milk.
    As someone else suggested, starting strength. Remember, form is key.
    Tl;DR: drink lots of milk, eat 3k cals. Lift heavy things

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobJ93)
    Start increasing the amount you eat on a daily basis. Count the calories. Be meticulous. You want to be aiming for about 3k calories a day.
    Sounds like a lot? Think of it as 3 x 800 calorie meals and a few glasses of full fat milk.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Op said he can't have dairy.
    Throw in a protein shake too and maybe a mass gainer if you're struggling to hit the 3k calorie mark.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So is it usually the case skinny people are skinny because of diet where people just blame genetics? And thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Nope it is a combination of genetics and diet, more genetics imo

ReputationRep:
    So is it usually the case skinny people are skinny because of diet where people just blame genetics? And thanks!
    Yeah that's exactly right. Skinny people will claim they eat loads when realistically, they have a ****ty fast food meal once a day and snack, barely reaching 1500cal.
    You're welcome. It really is a case of counting calories. I suggest using myfitnesspal

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HenryD)
    Op said he can't have dairy.
    Throw in a protein shake too and maybe a mass gainer if you're struggling to hit the 3k calorie mark.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are they quite cheap?

Yeah that's exactly right. Skinny people will claim they eat loads when realistically, they have a ****ty fast food meal once a day and snack, barely reaching 1500cal.
    You're welcome. It really is a case of counting calories. I suggest using myfitnesspal

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is that an app? If so ill have a look, I will sort my diet out and hope I am not genetically skinny

ReputationRep:
    Are they quite cheap?

They won't set you back too much and they'll make a big difference.

ReputationRep:
    So I should get my diet sorted first? Could that stop me from progressing at all? One thing I am nervous about is not being able to lift much but I will have a look at that. I am thinking of having 200g extra of pasta a day.
    Don't worry about nopt lifting much, if it was me I would just start with the empty bar and get the form nailed down. When you reach the bigger weights you don't want form breaking down to the extent that it could be dangerous, especially on an exercise like deadlifts or squats

ReputationRep:
    You've entered the most saturated exercise. Weight lifting try not to research too much, there is so much bull****t and contradicting info that it will **** your mind up!! Stick to reliable info from people you know

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You should really check out bodybuilding.com, you can find workout plans, supplement reviews, etc. But I will try to save you some time. I don't know how much you weigh right now. Eating is honestly the most important things, and while supplements are definitely helpful, they won't do all the work for you.

Unfortunately, it's not as easy as going to McD's and buying 4 McChickens for 4 dollars. You need to get these calories the old fashioned way. Make the meals yourself! Eat things like oatmeal, cereal, yogurt, all natural peanut butter and jelly on wheat bread, egg whites, etc. Lunch and dinner should be like high protein meats: salmon, tuna, turkey, grilled chicken, steak, etc. You should add complex carbs too like brown rice.

For supplements:

Take like 2 scoops of whey protein when you wake up in the morning. 2 more scoops between breakfast and lunch. 3 scoops right after you workout. You might want to look at ON 100% whey Gold standard. Syntha-6 is also really good since it has many different types of proteins. Eat a high-carb, high protein meal after you workout so you can replenish glycogen stores and pump more protein into the muscles.

Buy Creatine monohydrate! You will see big improvements if you mix this powder with your drinks daily.

GET a MULTIVITAMIN AND OMEGA-3 capsules! I use Opti-Men for the multivitamin and kirklands fish oil for the omega-3. Take them with your meals.

Optional: Get a pre workout and good post workout. I use Musclepharm assault for pre- and MyoBuild for post.

Again, most important thing is to eat! But the supplements help you see results quicker.

But you should really check out bodybuilding.com since that is where I learned a lot of this information.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ameliasien)
    You should really check out bodybuilding.com, you can find workout plans, supplement reviews, etc. But I will try to save you some time. I don't know how much you weigh right now. Eating is honestly the most important things, and while supplements are definitely helpful, they won't do all the work for you.

Unfortunately, it's not as easy as going to McD's and buying 4 McChickens for 4 dollars. You need to get these calories the old fashioned way. Make the meals yourself! Eat things like oatmeal, cereal, yogurt, all natural peanut butter and jelly on wheat bread, egg whites, etc. Lunch and dinner should be like high protein meats: salmon, tuna, turkey, grilled chicken, steak, etc. You should add complex carbs too like brown rice.

For supplements:

Take like 2 scoops of whey protein when you wake up in the morning. 2 more scoops between breakfast and lunch. 3 scoops right after you workout. You might want to look at ON 100% whey Gold standard. Syntha-6 is also really good since it has many different types of proteins. Eat a high-carb, high protein meal after you workout so you can replenish glycogen stores and pump more protein into the muscles.

Buy Creatine monohydrate! You will see big improvements if you mix this powder with your drinks daily.

GET a MULTIVITAMIN AND OMEGA-3 capsules! I use Opti-Men for the multivitamin and kirklands fish oil for the omega-3. Take them with your meals.

Optional: Get a pre workout and good post workout. I use Musclepharm assault for pre- and MyoBuild for post.

Again, most important thing is to eat! But the supplements help you see results quicker.

But you should really check out bodybuilding.com since that is where I learned a lot of this information.
    I have two thousand calories a day, am around 6ft and weight aroudn 60kg. Not sure if thats good or bad. I need to eat more meat but its pretty expensive, there are those cheap bags in supermarkets though. Thanks for giving me an idea of diet though

ReputationRep:
    I have two thousand calories a day, am around 6ft and weight aroudn 60kg. Not sure if thats good or bad. I need to eat more meat but its pretty expensive, there are those cheap bags in supermarkets though. Thanks for giving me an idea of diet though
    Eat another 1000-1500cal

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.