Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys I need some help with my business exam revision...

Does anyone know how a business encourage internal promotion??

Thanks
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by fathimadeen)
    Hey guys I need some help with my business exam revision...

Does anyone know how a business encourage internal promotion??

Thanks
    By.. encouraging internal promotion, i.e. seeing if there is anyone suitable from within the company to fill a new post before they advertise the job to third parties.

ReputationRep:
    Should it be how, or why?

The 'how' part is quite brief really, it doesn't go much further than offering training opportunities or additional responsibilities to existing staff members (and then subsequently promoting those staff members who fit the criteria). Some companies also have a structured internal progression system (with staff being 'promoted' each time they complete a year of service, or pass a specific exam, etc). Perhaps they might also offer instruction to individual managers to prioritise internal progression over external recruitment (maybe by limiting external recruitment resources, or requiring head office authorisation for recruitment budgets). The company dictates its own operating methods, so in order to encourage internal promotion, they must simply promote from within, which seems like a brief and boring answer.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.