Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have been set the following title for an assignment in my EU Law module:

"Critically assess the historical factors and theories of integration which led to the formation of what is now known as the European Union"

I'm not looking for anyone to answer it for me but I just don't know where to get started with it. I've come up with this basic structure:

Intro
    1 - Brief historical background of EU
    2 - Critical assessment of this background
    3 - Brief description of EU integration theories
    4 - Critical assessment of these
    5 - Future of the EU, more specifically UK's future in EU
    Conclusion

There are a few problems I have though. The EU's history is so big, should I try to cover it all or just some of it? Furthermore, how do you critically assess historical events. Finally, I was thinking of focussing purely on Federalism in section 4, is that a good idea or should I try to assess as many areas as possible?

Thanks a lot for any help!

ReputationRep:
    bump!

ReputationRep:
    anyone?!

ReputationRep:
    at all?

ReputationRep:
    History would include all the Treaties and Enlargements. Start with the ECSC then Rome onwards.
    There was a functionalist theory that if you Integrate then there is a spill over into another are which would be integrated. Functionalism and Intergovernmentalism are the main theories

History is a pendulum swinging from Supranationalism to Intergovernmentalism

1972 Act for the UK and subsequent cases (Factortame etc) Legislation and behavior. No one knows what the future is like.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the pointers, man!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.