Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What books and equipment do i need for starting a degree in biomedical s Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am starting a degree course in Biomedical science in September and I was wondering if somebody could give me a list of anything that i need to get in preparation for starting university, books and equipment etc.

ReputationRep:
    Don't bother buying heaps of books before you get there in the hope that they 'might be useful'. Once at Uni, you will have access to libraries with thousands of relevant books, and there is no point in buying a book you might actually only need once in the entire course. Often students find they only need to actually buy a handful of books during their entire time at Uni.

The most useful thing is a decent laptop - one that is light enough to stick in a backpack and lug round to libraries, labs, lecture theatres etc. You might also find a very basic printer useful for when you aren't actually in Uni and need to print stuff off.

Depending on where you are going, a bike might be a good investment. It also might be useful asking a relative to give you your annual subscription/fee to the Uni sports centre/pool/gym if you are into that stuff.

For course specific ideas, its probably worth you posting in the Bio-med/sciences area for what current students suggest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annastewart27)
    I am starting a degree course in Biomedical science in September and I was wondering if somebody could give me a list of anything that i need to get in preparation for starting university, books and equipment etc.
    i do biomed and to be honest, just wait till your at uni to get books ect. youll be given reading lists of relevant books which are in libraries and if you want to buy them then get the main one from amazon ect. dont bother getting any now though.

as for equipment, pens pencils ect. standard stuff really. a light laptop would be a good investment (as someone before said) to carry to the library but not massively important as there will be computers there.

just chill, 9 months yet

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.