Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am unsure weather to apply for the 4 year masters course or the 3 year degree course. If I were to apply for the masters course would I be committed to the four year course or would I be able to limit my studies to the three year degree course if I so wished?

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Hey I do zoology (with conservation) if you opt for the 4 years master course then you are committed to doing it (grades permitting) I personally went for the 3 year option because then I can still do masters at Bangor if I get the right marks but if I want to do a masters somewhere else or not at all then I'm not committed to anything the lectures are the same for masters/non masters so you don't need to worry about that anymore questions feel free to ask!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!
    So just to clarify, if I were to do the first two years and then decided that a Masters wasn't for me I wouldn't then be able to just do one further year and get a BSc? What happens to those that aren't deemed suitable for a Masters after year two, are they able to to study one more year for a BSc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Clean)
    Thanks!
    So just to clarify, if I were to do the first two years and then decided that a Masters wasn't for me I wouldn't then be able to just do one further year and get a BSc? What happens to those that aren't deemed suitable for a Masters after year two, are they able to to study one more year for a BSc?
    I got the impression from my tutor that the only way of getting out of the masters is to get below 75 percent and yes, as far as I'm aware if you don't qualify for the masters you just finish off and do the bsc

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Thanks again.

Sorry to be pedantic, so if I were to get 74% at the end of year two, I would do the BSc course in year 3 and could walk away with a first class degree.

If I were to get 75% at the end of year 2 I would continue with the Master Course in year 3 (even if I didn't want to) and if , for whatever reason, I left after year three I would end up with no qualification at all as I didn't complete the full 4 years? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Clean)
    Hi,

I am unsure weather to apply for the 4 year masters course or the 3 year degree course. If I were to apply for the masters course would I be committed to the four year course or would I be able to limit my studies to the three year degree course if I so wished?

Thanks in advance.
    Just so you know, once your graduate from a BSc you can't get a student loan anymore. Some courses with masters attached allow you to defer graduation until after the masters, meaning you might still get a student loan. Something to look into at this stage rather than find out later on

ReputationRep:
    Hi there mate,
    I have applied for the Zoology with Herpetology 4 year Masters. I just feel the being able to have the Masters project included in my student loan makes things a lot easier for when I go onto hopefully do a PhD. I am going to accept the 4-year as my first choice.
    I have had offers from Cardiff, Exeter etc... But to be honest, Bangor is such a lovely area, and I completely hate city life! So I have to go to Bangor. Exeter being my second choice!
    I just think a Masters being included is a good thing!
    Hopefully see you there at the end of this year!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your comments.

I have been in contact with the university and have been advised that If I do not wish to continue with the four year Master course, there is the option to graduate with an Honours degree at the end of the third year.

ReputationRep:
    There we are then, a nice happy medium. Good luck mate, hopefully see you there next year.

ReputationRep:
    Yes hope to see you in September, and thanks for your help.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.