Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My mum and I know a family that has been torn apart due to lies.

To cut a long story short. The dad of this family was accused of being a paedophile by his neice (the daughter of his wifes sister).

He ended up in prison which was bad enough. Then (fairly understandably) his wife threatened to divorce him. But then the neice admitted that she'd lied, but had managed to get past the defence and convince everyone that she was right. Ie there were times when she had been babysat alone with him, giving him the opportunity etc etc.

In addition to this, something which I now know is that if you're convicted of any child offenses, you can't have any children visit you in prison. Which means that this mans son couldn't visit him and won't be able to for several more months.

But this man is still in prison. WHY? Will he be released? will it go to appeal?

And because the neice is young, she can't be charged with anything.

ReputationRep:
    She's a wicked human being :mad:

It all depends on how much evidence there is. He's not going to be let free if you go to the cops and say 'she's lying' but you have no evidence.

Are there other people who KNOW that she's lying and would be willing to testify against her? Has she said she's lying to you directly? What evidence do you have?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    What proof is there that she's lying? And there would need to be more evidence than "he did it" for it to go to court.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by This Excellency)
    She's a wicked human being :mad:

It all depends on how much evidence there is. He's not going to be let free if you go to the cops and say 'she's lying' but you have no evidence.

Are there other people who KNOW that she's lying and would be willing to testify against her? Has she said she's lying to you directly? What evidence do you have?

(Original post by OU Student)
    What proof is there that she's lying? And there would need to be more evidence than "he did it" for it to go to court.
    She admitted she lied to her family.

I wasn't at the trial, but she managed to get away with it. Like I said in my OP, there were times when she was babysat by him with noone in the house. I'm still not sure how she got away with it when it was basically his word against hers. She must have found/made up something she could use as evidence.

ReputationRep:
    Why would she just confess? I can't imagine someone just doing that without coercion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maxisussex)
    Why would she just confess? I can't imagine someone just doing that without coercion.
    She is quite young (maybe 7/8) so maybe didn't realise how serious it was, although it must have been explained to her.

Or maybe she'd written it in her diary that it was a lie or something and when her parents saw it, they asked her and she confessed.

I'm not sure, I don't every detail of it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.