Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So for the past few months I just haven't been able to get a proper nights sleep, I keep shuffling around and even if I do get sleep it'll be for a short time and then I'll randomly be awake again.

The problem is then in the mornings I completely doze off and can't wake up until 12/1pm. I've noticed this more in the holidays as I have to force myself to wake up when going uni.

Experienced something similar? Anyone know what's going on?

ReputationRep:
    It might just be your sleeping pattern. You could be used to waking up at 12-1pm and then not feeling sleepy until later on. Try forcing yourself to wake up earlier, so that you also feel tired quicker.

If that doesn't work, then talk to your GP. They'll know more and it's easier to describe your situation face to face.

ReputationRep:
    This time of year I find one of the things that helps is to sleep with the curtains open. Its easier for your body to wake up naturally with the light and not feel too groggy in the morning.

ReputationRep:
    Don't watch TV, use computers, phones, etc for an hour or two before trying to sleep.

Don't drink or eat lots before trying to sleep. Avoid things like caffeine for even longer before bed.

Get plenty of exercise.

Stop being a pussy and dozing around till the afternoon. Force yourself to get up like a real person, making it through the day whilst tired isn't some insane mission, and perhaps then you'll be able to get to sleep at the times you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So for the past few months I just haven't been able to get a proper nights sleep, I keep shuffling around and even if I do get sleep it'll be for a short time and then I'll randomly be awake again.

The problem is then in the mornings I completely doze off and can't wake up until 12/1pm. I've noticed this more in the holidays as I have to force myself to wake up when going uni.

Experienced something similar? Anyone know what's going on?
    Are you stressed? Or worried about something?

What you describe is my exact sleep pattern when I'm stressed out. I can't sleep at all all night and come morning when I need to get up I start to doze off.

ReputationRep:
    It seems u have messed your sleeping pattern, don't worry too much! 2 solutions:
    Go bed when u actually feel tired and wake up early in the morning at 8 or 7 watever, and stay up all day till 9-11pm ish. Then sleep
    2 stay up all nite and go bed early the next day around the evening

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.