Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should prisoners be allowed visits Watch

ReputationRep:
    1) Do you think prisoners should be allowed visitors?

2) I recently found out that paedophiles (and maybe anyone who is in for any crime to do with children) aren't allowed any child visitors, even if they're accompanied! this includes their own children! Do you think this is right?

And please explain?

I think prisoners should be allowed visitors, although from what I know abour prison, some other aspects of it seem a bit cushy.

And I think that even people who are even in for child offenses should be able to see their children (only if the child wants to, if they're at an age to decide).

Both for the same reason - you've taken their freedom away already. But by not allowing family to visit. You're punishing the family even more than just taking a relative away from them.

ReputationRep:
    1) I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed visitors. There shouldn't be any forced visits, but if the family or friends want to visit, and the prisoner wants them to visit, there should be nothing in the way to stop them. I don't believe the point of the justice system is to exclude people from society; it should be the exact opposite - trying to bring them further in to make them feel more secure. Not being allowed to see family would be counter productive to the idea of reform.

2) Yes, they should be allowed to see their own children, for the reasons as set out above. Besides, what is going to happen anyway if they see a child? Nothing. Nothing's going to happen, the child isn't going to get raped or anything absurd like that. In the same vein, surely a man who is in prison for raping a woman should not be allowed to see any women. No female prison officers, counsellors, nothing like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k_bourne)
    1) I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed visitors. There shouldn't be any forced visits, but if the family or friends want to visit, and the prisoner wants them to visit, there should be nothing in the way to stop them. I don't believe the point of the justice system is to exclude people from society; it should be the exact opposite - trying to bring them further in to make them feel more secure. Not being allowed to see family would be counter productive to the idea of reform.

2) Yes, they should be allowed to see their own children, for the reasons as set out above. Besides, what is going to happen anyway if they see a child? Nothing. Nothing's going to happen, the child isn't going to get raped or anything absurd like that. In the same vein, surely a man who is in prison for raping a woman should not be allowed to see any women. No female prison officers, counsellors, nothing like that.
    Precisely. I wish I could rep you and it would mean something, but I'm a tad in the red so it's pointless

ReputationRep:
    1) Yes, depending on what they're in for, and what people they're meeting. A drugs lord (or someone involved in any organised crime) shouldn't be allowed any contact as that would allow them to continue their crimes. Someone in for theft, or other one-off crimes might as well be allowed visitors, it'll give them something to work towards rather than exclude and push them away from society.

2) I'm surprised at the lack of faith the prisons have in themselves. Surely they could stop someone raping a child on their watch? Maybe it's my faith that is misplaced, and nobody should ever visit anyone in prison because the guards are incapable of preventing sustained attacks by a sole inmate.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.